cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about your nose regarding immersion

zhyiou
Level 2
Sooo, maybe this sounds stupid, but I have a question regarding to your nose and how you see the real world.

In real life, each eye sees a part of the tip of your nose (just close one eye to understand what I mean).

However (correct me if I am wrong), with the oculus rift the lenses are placed such that your eyes see two rectangular (one each) windows right?

This way, with the rift, your brain does not have to automatically filter out your nose, since you don't see it.

However, maybe this lack of not automatically (having to) filter out the nose might have some effect on how you percieve what you see right?

Has anyone ever tried placing a static black screen in the place where you would normally see your nose? Or is this not viable since this would require pupil tracking to some extent (not to forget everybodies nose is shaped differently, and your brain is only filtering your exact nose).

Just a random thought from me though, so I'm sorry if you feel I wasted your time ๐Ÿ™‚

Ps. Slight afterthought: Say your brain keeps filtering out the part where your nose would be (thus there being no difference between your nose actually being there or not, since it is filtered out regardless) you could maybe opt to choose for a lower resolution on the place where your nose would be (or just black) to lower the specs of the computer (less pixels to calculate etc.)
14 REPLIES 14

SnottyBison
Level 2
If I close one eye in the Rift and try to look at my nose, I see the edge of the lens. I'm thinking that if you placed realistically shaped/sized nose geometry in an accurate location, it wouldn't be visible. But maybe somebody wants to try a Cyrano de Bergerac sim? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Vin
Level 3
You know, I was hoping to come into this thread and bust out some Professor Farnsworth and his amazing Smelloscope. I find myself strangely disappointed that I have no context in which to post the image I googled before actually reading.

JamesWeiss
Level 2
I had wondered about this as well. I have been reading every article I could find since kickstarter, and one thing that no one has addressed is how much you can actually move your eyeballs without breaking immersion. I have not had the opportunity to try out a rift (waiting for consumer version so as not to cause delays for you developers, you're welcome), but it seems like it is set up so that you would need to move your whole head, where in reality you would normally just move your eyeballs.

If that's the case, then it seems like the "no nose" issue would be moot.

zarlor
Level 2
First off you're not really looking at square screens anyway. Also because of the lenses you have a wider field of view (FOV) of those screen than something where you would keep your eyes looking straight ahead. So the len cases themselves kind of become the limiting factor for your sightline rather than your nose. Rather like if you were wearing glasses. Our normal peripheral vision is is around or just shy of 180 degrees, although we really mostly concentrate on a much shallower field of view. So you'll lose that peripheral vision in the Rift but it's still pretty immersive. So there is some ability to move your eyes first before turning your head but your brain automatically recognizes that you kind of have blinders on, if you will, so it's not unnatural at all to simply move your head to look further afield. At least I don't find it is, at any rate.

EDIT: Also, I don't think i see why getting a Rift now (with the understanding you're getting something that is still improving and is not a commercial product necessarily meant for consumer consumption) would affect development of it in any way. I doubt the folks doing the manufacturing are being pulled away from development duties. Plus the manufacturing process itself may need testing and tweaking, too, so I doubt you'd be causing any kind of slowdowns to development by getting one now if you really, really wanted one (again, understanding and accepting some of the limitations in the current version, of course.)

Vin
Level 3
"zarlor" wrote:

EDIT: Also, I don't think i see why getting a Rift now (with the understanding you're getting something that is still improving and is not a commercial product necessarily meant for consumer consumption) would affect development of it in any way. I doubt the folks doing the manufacturing are being pulled away from development duties. Plus the manufacturing process itself may need testing and tweaking, too, so I doubt you'd be causing any kind of slowdowns to development by getting one now if you really, really wanted one (again, understanding and accepting some of the limitations in the current version, of course.)

You'll find that the manufacturing of the Rift isn't exactly speedy, so when there are more enthusiasts than developers placing orders, it delays developers from getting the developer kit, which means developers aren't able to do developer duties.

zhyiou
Level 2
As I myself do not own a rift, I don't know what it feels like to look through one.

However, as discribed in a previous post, if looking through the rift can be discribed as looking through glasses, then I guess my initial confusion regarding noses and what not is not really usefull anymore, since the glass stops before you even see your nose (thinking like everything not covered by the glasses is like a blur (black)).

In answer to the second post:
Actually smell is related with memory and can trigger specific changes. I do really think that some smell component would indeed change the 'immersive factor' (if carried out correctly). Maybe you can relate that to your funny picture? :d

SnottyBison
Level 2
Try to look at your nose while doing this:

JamesWeiss
Level 2
"zarlor" wrote:

Sorry, I was being a bit cheeky before :P. The reality is, I would love to own a Rift DK1 just for the potential historical significance. But as a homeschooling family, we are making many financial sacrifices in order to give our children outstanding educational experiences and opportunities.

In other words, my wife won't let me.

bryndal36
Level 2
"SnottyBison" wrote:
Try to look at your nose while doing this:

ok, did that and...

1./ had to take glasses off so can't see 5 cms in front of me without blurring.

2./ the fingers sort of obstruct periphial view.

3./ why am I typing all of this?
Ordered: 6th September 2013 Order # 71XXX Holy Status Email: Arrived Australia mate. Personal Status. Enthralled