cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on making the DK2 Mobile

Peteo
Expert Protege
So I plan Being VR Man for Halloween. Trick or treating with the Kids (late afternoon), and then going to a party.
I have a DK2 (Hooked to my main PC) and access to a laptop (With a GeForce 840m).

The laptop has 3 USB Ports (1 powered) and HDMI out. I am also looking at picking up a Leap Motion from Ebay.

Questions:

Can the DK2 be powered by USB and also power port on the front of the HMD where I'll plug the Leap Motion into?

Any one with Leap Motion, can you comment on the pass-though video mode? Is it bright enough to walk around with?

Also I know there have been some issues with rift and Intel HD Graphics/Geforce combos. I do not think that this is an optimus set up (less than a year old laptop). but it does show both cards in Windows 7. I can disable the Intel card, when I reboot it uses the Geforce card while showing the Intel card disabled. Will oculus .6 work with this graphics setup?

Since I'm going to be mobile I wont be using the Oculus camera. I know i'll loose positional tracking (I'm fine with that) but the oculus should still work correct?
15 REPLIES 15

Peteo
Expert Protege
Thanks for all the suggestions and concerns guys. I will have other people with me to help walk around. But will most likely just slide the HMD up on my forehead while walking.

Why do i need working VR? Because I am VRMan, I bring VR to the masses ha!

So here's what I got working so far:

I have Oculus 0.6.1 installed on a Dell Latitude 5450 with an Intel HD5500 and Nivida 840m
It has an HDMI port on the back and Windows 8.1. DK2 and Leap monition mounted.

I was able to get my DK2 to work by launching the Intel graphics config program and turning on extend display. When I did that my rift showed up in the intel config as display #2 and the resolution was 1080 x960 75hz. I set the screen to rotate 90 degrees. In Oculus config the rift is set to direct mode (if it set it to extended, oculus config does not see the rift connected to HDMI port, odd) I also have my Leap monition connected to a USB 3 port on the laptop.

I am able to play any thing that has a direct to rift mode fine. I right click on the .exe and tell it to use the Nvidia chip.
Pretty surprised by the performance, nothing great but playable. Leap motion is cool. I can use IR camera with pass-through so I can see the outside world and their demos do not take much graphics/CPU power.
I have a desktop system with a 970 that is my main VR rig, which is what VR should be played on. But I have to say the freedom of being able to move around is pretty liberating and adds to the VR experience (even with out positional tracking from the Oculus camera)

I plan on hooking up my iPad to the last USB port to mirror the Windows display and hang it on my chest so people can see what i am looking at on the rift display and to be able to launch different demos.
If people think its cool, ill ask if they want to try the rift. I'll have the laptop in a backpack and the cables are long so i'll just take the rift off and put it on their head and launch a leap demo. Seeing your hands in VR really adds to it and i think most people will be really wowed by it.

Only real issue I see right now is battery. I fooled with this last night and laptop only lasted around an hour.

The real fun happens when I get back home and hook the rift up to my main rig for our Halloween party. Have a lot of tech and non tech friends that have never tried VR and I cant wait to see them scream like babies. :twisted:

I'll post some pictures after Halloween.

konstantin_loze
Explorer
Get 3DHead, it's much more suitable for a Halloween, after all it is the Oculus "killer" :evil:

Peteo
Expert Protege
Haha godda love 3D head!

So VRman costume was a success. Was able to get my laptop setup and hooked the Dk2 and leap motion to it and trick or treated with the head set on! (while obviously having other more responsible people tending to the kids) Was a little hard walking, and got better as it got darker out (Leap Motion IR Camera tends to make bright things, like the sun black) Also had an iPad on my chest hooked to it. But unfortunately I just couldn't get the rift to clone onto it with the laptop lid closed (working with 3 monitors, 2 graphic chips and mirror/capturing software is a PIA)

I was able to let people try the Rift and they thought it was awesome. The laptop ended up running out of juice about an hour and 1/2 in. So the rest of the night at our Party I had the rift up on my head John Carmack style. Not really conducive to eating food or feeding a baby with 2 hands since it kept sliding down, but made it work.
All in all it turned out to be a great costume and I plan on doing the same next year with the CV1 (or vive)

cybereality
Grand Champion
Ha! Nice one.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

dvkkha
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
The main issue is Optimus, which means the computer uses both an Nvidia and Intel GPU in combination. In many cases, the HDMI port of the laptop is hardwired to the Intel GPU, causing slow performance and compatibility problems.

So please tell me you guys are going to fix that because thats the way Notebooks are build nowadays.
Slow performance is an argument, yes but we all know it worked before 0.7 so it can't be that big of a problem.
At the moment 0.7+ is looking like a big step backwards (for the consumer).
TF2 HUD for the Rift: Specs: PC:Intel i7-3770S 3.1GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB, 16GB RAM

cybereality
Grand Champion
"dvkkha" wrote:
So please tell me you guys are going to fix that because thats the way Notebooks are build nowadays.

Honestly, I don't think it's something that can be fixed with a software update unfortunately.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV