cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REC ROOM Vs. HORIZON

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Now with the new investment of $100m in REC ROOM, we are about to see a major development in the platform that started the Customer-Created platform.

The question has to be how many will use HORIZON and how many will favor REC ROOM?

Note - As this latest version of the forum software is still a bit janky I have yet to be able to work the polls, so will just run this as a conversation.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
36 REPLIES 36

Yeap, you just reminded me of another one that only took a week before it was overrun by kids who make the Regan MacNeil charactor from The Exorcist look like one of the Kids from The sound of Music. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@OmegaM4N wrote:

Rec room is a mess, VR chat is a mess, and FB Horizions won't be any different once it full of kids screaming stuff that would make a railway bothy full of railway workers blush, some of the stuff coming out of young kids mouth is just shocking to say the least, and i actually believe FB thinks everyone that will be using VR Horizons will be wearing a bowler hat and carrying a umbrela and saying things like "pip pip old chap" and "fine day today ma'm"....they have no idea what is coming for them. lol

Considering that facebook has been running the most-used Social Media platform on the planet, which consists of both children and adults screaming and saying shocking things on every topic imaginable, including topics that involve extreme societal and governmental atrocities... I'm quite certain that they have at least "some idea" of what is coming for them.

Facebook employees, including decision makers and VR developers, have also played through experiences like Rec Room and VR Chat. So the chance for a "surprise of what is coming" is quite tiny. 

I mean... if a user of this forum thinks that they see what is coming, then there's a strong chance Facebook sees it too, since it's their job to "see it." lol

Lastly, most of these comments focus heavily on ignoring the private features of these social platforms. And these types of comments ignore the success of Rec Room and VR Chat. At the start of this thread we see news reported about Rec Room receiving a large amount of funding after all these years. How can that be... if it is such a "mess" ??

Anytime we choose to ignore features and outcomes, then sure, it's easy to put a doom and gloom spin on these things. But the reality of the situation around Rec Room, VR Chat, and Horizon certainly depicts a more positive tale around adoption and success.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Had to even abandon Big Screen, the theater was filled with idio* *cough* young persons with behaviours I didn't appreciate. That would never have worked or be allowed in the real world. 2c. 

In the real world we don't typically open the door to our house and put a sign outside that invites the general public to just come on in. That is what the Big Screen public channels are all about.

Luckily, Big Screen has private rooms coming. They were working on it last year, but not sure if it's been released yet. Either way, clearly private lobbies/rooms/parties is the answer. As it mimics what we actually do in real life.

Also, if you don't think that type of behavior would really happen or be allowed in the real world, then you should attend a live Heavy Metal concert. Attend some Black Metal and Death Metal concerts, and the types of interactions may shock you! lol

I'll go to any concert where people are unlike to refer to me as an old man. Don't care what other interactions go on.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

I'll go to any concert where people are unlike to refer to me as an old man. Don't care what other interactions go on.

Lots of old men at metal shows! Heck, Lamb of God released a new album, and the singer turned 50 years old this year.

😊

Going to a BTS show was a mistake.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Been to many similar concerts though, never once saw (ill-mannered) kids there, lol. 

Problem may be that by allowing Big Screen users to throw popcorn and tomatoes, the devs don't exactly do much to restrict childish behaviours, but may stimulate such behaviours and attract many kids.

Well, maybe they have made changes, it's at least 1 years ago since I last used Big Screen - but I wasn't impressed by the image quality either.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Been to many similar concerts though, never once saw (ill-mannered) kids there, lol. 

Problem may be that by allowing Big Screen users to throw popcorn and tomatoes, the devs don't exactly do much to restrict childish behaviours, but may stimulate such behaviours and attract many kids.

Well, maybe they have made changes, it's at least 1 years ago since I last used Big Screen - but I wasn't impressed by the image quality either.

There's certainly more merit to the bad-behavior/childish-antics problem in BigScreens moreso than titles like RecRoom and Horizon. Specifically due to the fact that BigScreens launched without Private Room support.

Regarding concerts, I've had some fairly crazy experiences in my days. I could start a whole new thread about it. Maybe I will in the off-topic section! lol

I will say though, that the craziest experiences I've had at concerts were at Slayer shows. I got in to a physical confrontation while they were playing, "At Dawn They Sleep." And at the end of another Slayer performance I attended many years later, some dude tried to jump in to my car and demand I drive him back home... which was in another city.

Back on topic though,

In all seriousness, how is the "social bad behavior" issue that RecRoom and Horizon faces any different than the issues this very forum has to deal with? I mean that in earnest. If we can take an honest and object moment to draw a parallel... consider how often acceptable it is treated to have an official product forum to have members who do not favor said product remain active in the community by voicing ongoing criticisms of the product. How is that any different than the reports of bad behavior in RecRoom?

In my opinion, it really just comes down to "how noisy" and "how bad" people become. Clearly, the type of bad behavior that exists in extremes on RecRoom isn't exactly observed on a forum such as this one. But that only speaks to the "degree" of noise and bad behavior. Ergo, any ongoing negative sentiment on a product forum such as this Oculus community isn't as "bad or noisy" as a young teenage running around RecRoom screaming profanities in to a microphone.

However, there is a comparable aspect of "disruption" that is occurring in both examples.

My point here is not to draw conversation away from the main topic either! What I'm trying to say is this: If a an official forum for an official product can successfully exist despite the expected ongoing disruptions, then surely SocialVR software like RecRoom and Horizon can also exist successfully.

And to Daft's earlier point, we really do have to hope that - over time - people start to self-moderate in all communities in order to increase the overall quality of the experience. Whether it be a forum, chat technology like Discord (which I hear is @kojack's favorite medium), vanilla multiplayer games like Outriders and Halo, or social VR experiences like RecRoom.

I strongly recommend to those who haven't given RecRoom a fair chance to group up with some friends or family and enjoy the private sessions it offers.

Hell, just let me know if you want to run through some of its gaming sessions with me and I'm always ready!

Are the kids that behave disruptively in Big Screen challenged? does someone say 'look do you kids mind leaving us alone while we chat?' that sort of thing?

I know when there was a couple youngsters in Venues, jumping all over the place continuously and getting in people's faces, popping the confetti thing every 5 seconds, while we were watching the Connect presentation, it was interesting to see no-one said anything to them, they kind of just pretended they weren't there until presumably they got annoyed enough to exit. There was a bit of finger wagging which is as much as I did... maybe everyone was like me and have the mics muted.

It seems to be a big contrast to how you'd deal with it in real life, my mic is never muted irl.

Not just adolcenet kids, have you heard some of the teens and even people in the 20s on VR Chat, and once they hear a adult male voice that sounds like they are over 30 they start with the "pedo" nonsense, which they use online now with the same ease they use the "N" word "R" word, and Horizon is not going to be any different, FB really have no idea what is on the way for them with Horizon, and if anyone wants to enjoy this personally just jump in RR or VR Chat and use the mic, see how long it takes before you are called any of the names above, the VR Chat and the game Amoung Us requires voice communications, now play a few games and time how long it takes for you to be called some derogatory name because you don't sound 11. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.