If there ever be RIFT S most desired features will be 

1) 2160 X 2432 pixel per eye resolution at 3.25" per display size
2) Oculus Go Optics or more improved Optics
3) Oculus Quest type tracking
4) Hardware requirement not more than current rift 
5) OS Support including windows 7
6) Only Single user replaceable cable.
7) Pricing around $ 300

With current library of RIFT titles there is good reason to amazing success. 
50 REPLIES 50

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

My wish list:
  1. Increased FoV
  2. Eye-Tracking technology
  3. Less screen-door effect
  4. Less glare
  5. Improved "Black" levels

ShocksVR
Superstar
If they can match the existing Quest specs (1600p display, GO lenses, Insight), and keep the price low ($300 max), then I think it can be a winner.  Remember, this is NOT Rift-2, but meant as a mid-generation refresh (like Xbox One S to Xbox One)

1) I think a 2kx2k screen is just not cost feasible right now.  Vive Pro is 1600p and $800, Pimax is $700, Odyssey $600 (can be found for $300 when on sale), etc...  2k x 2k would be super high end (and thus expensive)

2) I think the new Oculus lenses will be a given.

3) Yup. Insight will be nice

4) This will also be a given.  The device can have an increased display resolution, while keeping the default game resolution the same as the current Rifts.  The benefit of having an increased display resolution will come from setting our games to "Ultra" and/or Supersampling.

5)  Not gonna happen.  The baseline is Windows 10; even going by Oculus metrics, over 97% of Oculus Rift users are on WIn10. You can see for yourself here: https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/

6) Yup.

7) Yup.

And with the BIG GAMES slated for release this year, Oculus Rift may finally be on that verge of having that increased success.

EDIT -- !!!!
And I forgot a big one, Making the Rift-S more Glasses friendly.  I usually wear contacts, but being able to easily use Eye Glasses with my Rift would be a pretty big win ! (I can easily use my glasses with GO and it's default facepad, so I'm hoping this should be an easy fix).
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
a greater sweet spot so i can roll my eyes around and still read text clearly.
less weight
less tight

Wildt
Consultant
Constellation support
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
A VR Cover made of PU as an option. Unless VR Cover have one ready from the get go and I don't have to wait. I find the current Rift really uncomfortable without VR PU foam cover.

pyroth309
Visionary
Guess I'm in the minority but I feel like 300 bucks for an improved rift seems unlikely. I'm guessing it'll be around 399. Anyways most of my list has been stated but here's the priority for me.

1. SDE reduction
2. Higher Resolution
3. FoV 
4. Option to use Constellation
5. Better Colors
6. Less God Rays. 

Dilip
Rising Star

Wildt said:

Constellation support

Will increase price...If S to be cost effective ..Inside out tracking is a way to go, will reduce the number of hardware to be dealt with too, also free up USB (USB no big deal though)

Richooal
Consultant
Not a big fan of small step improvements on relatively expensive products.
I'm hoping there is no "S" version. So .........

1. Save the development time and cost by going straight to a greatly improved CV2.
2. If there is an "S" version, I hope it doesn't end up being the last PC powered VR-HMD from Oculus.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Mmm, my primary wish is that hardware drivability isn't pushed beyond the PC owning percentage that was the case when CV1 launched, even have a bit larger percentage of today's PCs able to drive it. Everything else follows from that. So...

Moderate increase in FOV (say 30% higher)
Big improvement in God rays/contrast (ie Go/Quest optics)
Moderate to big improvement in pixel per degree count (at least 30% higher).
I'll take either existing tracking camera compatible or inside-out tracking although I'm quite excited to try inside-out.
Price around £350.
Better for glasses would be a bonus but not if it impacts on FOV (if that were the case, I'd rather have better provision for custom lenses).
Although I haven't experienced any hardware failures (I had a scare but turned out to be software related) I hope Oculus have addressed any of the common issues some people had with CV1, I'm thinking right headphone connection.
Slightly softer/thicker face foam and a little more flexible facial interface (I still remember the DK2).