cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Rift cables.

AngryKFP
Protege
So it appears that you can no longer buy replacement rift cables, can we get some official feedback as to whether this is a temporary issue or has Oculus ceased production of them? 
110 REPLIES 110

falken76
Expert Consultant

I’m also another thats had the CV1 from launch day with many many hours of use and the cable is perfect as is the headset.
So although it’s not good that these cables are no longer available, I have a feeling that second hand spares will be plentiful enough to cover fails as people move to Rift-S as I did or Index for example. I’ve held onto my CV1 thinking it’ll one day be a collectors item  but maybe time to sell.

Really?  How would this transaction go?  "Hi DaftnDirect, I would like to buy your Rift CV1 cable, you can keep your headset and the controllers, I don't need them, I've already got them.  How much for just the cable?"   Why do I get the feeling you'd say "It's only for sale as a set because I can't sell the rest of the VR without the cable"?

kojack
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

I’m also another thats had the CV1 from launch day with many many hours of use and the cable is perfect as is the headset.
So although it’s not good that these cables are no longer available, I have a feeling that second hand spares will be plentiful enough to cover fails as people move to Rift-S as I did or Index for example. I’ve held onto my CV1 thinking it’ll one day be a collectors item  but maybe time to sell.

Really?  How would this transaction go?  "Hi DaftnDirect, I would like to buy your Rift CV1 cable, you can keep your headset and the controllers, I don't need them, I've already got them.  How much for just the cable?"   Why do I get the feeling you'd say "It's only for sale as a set because I can't sell the rest of the VR without the cable"?

There's more than just the cable that can go wrong (right headphone connection, smack a controller too hard against a wall, scratch a lens, etc), so buying the set is probably a safer bet if you are worried about future failures.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

falken76 said:

The reason for my post was to illustrate why I think this cable issue is less of an issue than some are thinking it will be. Either I can sell as a single lot for someone who wants it for spares or it's not out of the question to split the components that can easily be split.

It's also not out of the question for someone who only wants one element to buy my complete kit, use the elements that they need and sell the rest to people who have an issue with those other elements. Headphones, Touch controllers, sensors, whatever.. and still have the base headset as a spare... or sell that too.

There will also be instances of people who have a faulty Rift for reasons other than cable and decide to sell, with similar options as above. But obviously will be asking a lot less for it.

So in answer to your question... yes.... really.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

falken76 said:

There's more than just the cable that can go wrong (right headphone connection, smack a controller too hard against a wall, scratch a lens, etc), so buying the set is probably a safer bet if you are worried about future failures.

I forgot about the headphones, one of mine was already faulty but i fixed it by taping the sliding bit of the HMD into place so it no longer moves, and luckly the bit were the headphones works again is just were it is all taped up and perfect for fitting onto my head. ha
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

parsecn
Heroic Explorer
I utilise an overhead retractable canopy system on an active hdmi/usb repeater where the CV1 cable has never been stepped on or rolled over with a chair wheel, etc. However, it gets twisted from the user constantly turning in the same direction (kids do it, mostly) and I've seen it get pretty gnarly over the years but still continues to work! Kudos to team CV1 who built a reasonably robust cable!

Knowing I can't get a replacement is a real bummer, but I've come to only be bummed by Oculus since the launch of Rift-S, no announcement of Rift 2, etc. etc. etc.

So, this leaves us with a few options should the cable finally go: 
  1. Hack and/or build a replacement - pretty safe to assume the fault will be in the wiring itself and not the end plugs whereby (although fiddly) each wire can be tested from end to end and replaced as required. Reddit has a couple of persons who have repaired their cables by re-splicing at fault point (in their cases, was quite noticeable like bulge in an area, etc.) so can be done. It's early days for not being able to purchase the cable via Oculus /accessories where I gather more threads and how-to posts will present themselves when consumers have no other option but to hack their already failed cable - it's a nothing to lose scenario and it only takes one quality, knowledgeable youtube clip to walk the novice through this repair process.
  2. Go TP-Cast if they continue manufacturing for CV1. I note TP-Cast went on sale at $149USD a month ago - but currently out of stock. $149 is reasonable imo and benefit of forever being wire-free!
  3. Buy an Index, etc. I'm sure as hell not going Rift-S per Oculus with the plethora of problems and reduction in tracking fidelity (I'm 4 sensor ceiling mounted constellation) compounded with the notion that I'd be buying a product that Oculus will ostensibly refuse to support in 3 years time? When they tell everyone with Rift-S to, "Just buy a Rift-S2" if your $7 cost-to-manufacture cable fails. Not good enough, not by a long-shot.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
This isn't good news because my CV1 cable is showing kinks and I've already replaced a cable that was faulty without any kinks in it. I'm not too fussed though because I'm looking to purchase the HTC Cosmos if the reviews are any good. The Rift S seems to have to many problems I keep reading about on these forums, so I can't really consider upgrading to that if my Oculus CV1 goes pete tong.
Anyways, I think it's a pretty shitty move by Oculus to do this IMO. So I'll have a £400 paper weight if a simple thing like the cable gives up the ghost. Here's hoping the HTC Cosmos doesn't turn out to be pants when it comes to review time.

Ravenger
Expert Protege
It's an unnacceptable situation. My cable is dodgy - it just about works but can cut out if it gets bent or trodden on, so I'm limited to sit-down experiences at the moment. I've bought an extra sensor, cotton covers and prescription lenses so when it does fail (which is pretty much inevitable) north of £500 will be thrown away due to the inability to buy an essential cable that's designed to be replaceable in the first place! The response from support for my just out of warranty CV1 was essentially to by a new headset!

falken76
Expert Consultant

AngryKFP said:

Support confirmed to somebody that they are no longer able to produce the cables on reddit, obviously that's horsepoop and it's simply a choice not to supply them, what's the betting that any third party attempting to produce and market them is served with a copyright shutdown...

Screw it, send one up to china and tell THEM to sell them, DMCA won't stop China's ability to flood the market.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Ravenger said:

It's an unnacceptable situation. My cable is dodgy - it just about works but can cut out if it gets bent or trodden on, so I'm limited to sit-down experiences at the moment. I've bought an extra sensor, cotton covers and prescription lenses so when it does fail (which is pretty much inevitable) north of £500 will be thrown away due to the inability to buy an essential cable that's designed to be replaceable in the first place! The response from support for my just out of warranty CV1 was essentially to by a new headset!

Ask DaftnDirect if he'll sell you his Cable, you fit one of the scenerios he mentioned.  See if you can just get the cable.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Ravenger said:

Wow - So you contacted support and they just tell you to buy a new headset instead of being able to get a cable that is way overpriced, but still costs a lot less then purchasing a new VR headset. This is beyond ridiculous IMO. By all means  phase out the parts for oculus CV1 in a few years time when theirs another headset worth upgrading to. But right now the Rift S is nothing more then a slight upgrade to CV1 and Oculus have said this themselves.
I want to see a proper upgrade before I purchase a new VR headset. I don't want to be forced to buy a similar VR headset like the Rift S just because a cable becomes faulty on my Oculus CV1.