cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resident Evil 4 VR is an Oculus Quest 2 exclusive

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It was announced today that Capcom is partnering with Oculus to bring RE4 over to Quest 2:

News:

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-4-vr-is-an-oculus-quest-2-exclusive/

Video announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrI2Woxqdnc

Quite awesome for Horror VR! I imagine that this would be a timed exclusive, and while I haven't seen any confirmation, it would make sense to bring this to PCVR at some point. But for now, this is great news for the Quest platform.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nalex66
MVP
MVP

New update today (Blog post). It's not the "Mercenaries" content update, but it does include the quality-of-life improvements that I've been waiting for; namely, the lefty locomotion update (swapped sticks option) that will finally allow my to start enjoying the game.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

This excites me. But at the same time, I'm a bit concerned.

Don't get me wrong. I love Resident Evil 4. It's a very good game. Maybe not "greatest game ever", like a lot of people tend to label it. But a bloody good game. When the game originally came out, I had been concerned due to it deviating so far from the control schemes of older RE games. But when I played it, the game justified those changes with how good it was. But it has it's fair share of problems. The QTE or Die moments are often poorly signposted and frustrating due to changing what buttons you need to mash mid way through the QTE. And while you get use to it, the aiming system is clunky.

I think a lot of people get so hung up on how amazing RE4 was, that they forget that it came out before the industry had found a good control scheme for 1st person and 3rd person shooting games. And by Jove, it shows. It'll be interesting to see how the controls are revamped for VR. It'll also be interesting to see if they do something different with the QTE sequences.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Cool. I’ve never really gotten into the Resident Evil franchise, but I’d give this a go. I would expect that the Quest port should be able to maintain the fidelity of the original game. Having just played through Doom 3 on my Quest 2, I can attest that games from that era (early 2000s) fall comfortably within the performance capabilities of the Quest. I look forward to seeing more.

kakek
Protege

And am I the only one concerned about what this means for the longevity of Facebook VR products ?

I posted a topic on that in the Quest 2 section. Let me copy/past it here.

TL:DR : After droppig PCVR barely a year after the release of Rift S, facebook is releasing Quest 2 exclusive titles less than 3 years after the release of Quest 1. 

Can we expect Quest 3 to come next year and the last Quest 2 titles to come in 2 years as well ? Are facebook products 400$ consoles like product that only get content for 3 years ?

More detailled arguments : 

As it as just been announced that Resident Evil 4 VR will be the first title to drop Quest 1 support, I think it might be interresting to consider the lingevity of Facebook product.

Of course, we'd need to agree of when a product lifetime is actually over.

Depending on who you ask, that might range from when support officially stops ( the longest ) to when the next product making it obsolete releases ( the shortest ).

My personal choice would be when Facebook itself actually stop bringing any new content to the device. It's at that point that, even if it still works, you can set your devide aside because there won't be much more to play with it.

So, considering that ...

The rift released in march 2016.

the Rift S in march 2019

The Quest 1 in may 2019

The Quest 2 on Oct 2020

I think the last Oculus content that came to PC VR was lies beneath, in march 2020. Marking when Facebook effectively dropped PCVR, and making the lifespan of the rift 4 years, and the Rift S only 1 year.

We have no firm release date for RE4 VR, but we can expect it to come before end of 2021. It's still a bit early to tell, but based on their past behavior this might mean future Oculus studio games will follow as Quest 2 exclusive. (* I ll come back on that later. )

This would mean that the Quest 1 would have had a lifespan of less that 3 years.

Let me reiterate, the lifespan of their product so far, before there isn't any new content, have been

4 years

1 years ( !!! )

3 years

Isn't this a shockingly short lifespan for console-like products sold for more than 400$ ?

I have a Rift S, and it really bothers me that I would need to buy a new headset to get new content so soon.

similarly, I have friends that talk with me about VR. One has a Rift ( first ) and was thinking of upgrading to quest 2. The other has nothing and wanted something ...

In both case, they are now reconsidering buying a Quest 2, as current practive by facebook suggest that, at 6 months old, it might only be 1 year away from being replaced, and 2 years away from being more or less dropped.

Has anyone else been concerned by this ? Has Facebook made any comment on that aspect ?

(* more on what I take in account to consider Facebook might drop Quest 2 so fast : )

For Rift / Rift S, there was very little ( if any ) overlapping between the first Quest only titles, and the last PCVR titles. Meaning when they stopped supporting PCVR on all titles, they pretty much instantly switched to not supporting it on any title.

This would suggest that once Facebook stop releast all titles on Q1, wich they are doing with RE4, they soon stop

releasing any titles on Q1.

This is not certain however. Because dropping PCVR was not a technical requirement to make Q2 games but a strategic choice to quietly kill as fast as possible what had become concurence. That's not the case for Q2 / Q1 however. Q1 fits in the "walled garden / Monopoly" strategy of Facebook. In that case, it's purely technical constraint. So they might not behave exactly the same. Like I doubt they will activelly push to kill Quest 1 versions when possible like they are doing for PCVR.

Still, this does not necesserally bode well for the future for Q2 owners.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Is it confirmed that this won't also work on the Quest 1? They do mention "bringing the game to Quest 2" in the announcement video, but I just took that as promotion for the current flagship headset rather than a confirmation of it excluding Quest 1.

I would assume that they could scale back texture resolution, framerate, and use more foveated rendering to make it work. (The Dr. Beef port of Doom 3 works on Quest 1 with lower framerate and reduced MSAA than on Quest 2, with both Q1 and Q2 using the original PC game assets.)

Edit: saw the blog post that does say "...exclusively for the Oculus Quest 2." I guess we'll see what thay have to say next week during their gaming showcase.

Edit 2: Facebook apparently confirmed to UploadVR that it is indeed exclusive to Quest 2.

Also this will never be RE4 - it'll be a bottom-end low-poly RE4 - interesting how they'll manage lights and shadows though - and the 120 Hz 😉

It's much like having the game arrive for the PlayStation2 - I've completely stopped caring about Quest games - these games simply don't exist to me, unless we get a truly great Rift/PCVR version. 2c.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

If it, as I'd expect, requires a beefier CPU and GPU then the Quest 1 has, then it's only natural that RE4 wont run on it. I'm kind of surprised it's not going to be a Cross-Buy title. But that's not really a deal breaker to me.

As for the concerns that this means whenever a Quest 3 (or whatever it's called) is released apps will be released that are exclusive to it... Uhm, isn't that a given? I mean, think about it for a moment. If you have a Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 (yes, I do in fact have all 4 consoles mentioned) then would you really expect the PS3 to be able to play PS4 games? Or for the PS2 to play PS3 and PS4 games?

Or to put it another way, you can get a Windows XP program to work on Windows 10. You can't get a Windows 10 program to run on Windows XP.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Also this will never be RE4 - it'll be a bottom-end low-poly RE4 - interesting how they'll manage lights and shadows though - and the 120 Hz 😉

It's much like having the game arrive for the PlayStation2 - I've completely stopped caring about Quest games - these games simply don't exist to me, unless we get a truly great Rift/PCVR version. 2c.

Of course it is RE4. Graphics quality does not define a game in such ways. If the gaming industry were to build every game with only a concern for graphics, then the gaming industry would go bankrupt.

The exclusive nature of this amazing news for this legendary title is obviously going to generate some negative sentiment from people standing outside the Oculus ecosystem. But oh well. VR and its ability to immerse users has nothing to do with creating high-end graphics.

And it's fine if you don't care about Quest games, but this discussion is for people who do. I personally don't care about the Valve Index since it lacks the level of room-scale that Quest provides and has notoriously faulty hardware; on top of Steam's platform being the bottom-of-the-barrel for a VR Suite. So that's why I don't spend time on Index or SteamVR discussion forums.

I also don't care about the judgements of videophiles who think everything comes down to one feature: graphics. Which is why I don't bother reading reviews from videophiles.

Either way, it seems a bit silly to condemn RE4 before you've tried it. And if you dont want to try it, there's no point running around condemning it to those who do plan to have actual first-hand experience with it.

As a good example, you've tried to condemn the "black levels" in Quest, despite never having tried it yourself. And I was able to prove on more than one occasion that your assumptions about the Quest's black levels are flat out wrong. I'm sure your assumptions about RE4 will be no different.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

You do realize that RE4 did release on the PS2... right? Hell, that's what my copy of the game is.

My bad - I thought they finally got the PSVR RE ready, but I can see that's RE7, not the very old RE4. RE4 has no interest to me - it's a game from 2005, but might perfectly fit the powers of the XR2 - in solid 120 Hz 😉 Now, RE7 could be interesting though - might need PSVR 2 for that then...

Standalone Quest isn't VR to me - maybe VC ("Virtual Cartoon"); none of the Quest games I've seen even remotely look like reality - at least to me. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"