cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revive performance and other related musings.

pyroth309
Visionary
So continuing from Rune's comments on page 59 of Index thread about Steam Vs Oculus Vs Revive performance which I'll quote the main post here.

RuneSR2 said:

Seems no-one is testing this rather important
subject - so I sat down today and downloaded Nefertari from both the
Oculus Store and Steam. I use Revive 1.9.2. Note this is kinda a worst
case scenario, Nefertari is 12GB for rooms that might be the equivalent
of 0.1% of Alyx, lol:

https://youtu.be/cMNC8ZtwCig

These
are my results - standing the exact same place, Epic settings (OTT
performance and pixel density hud used for CV1, FpsVR used for Index):

CV1 ss 2.0 (Oculus Store version) = 22.5 fps 
Index res 100% (Oculus Store version) = 45 fps
Index res 200% (Oculus Store version) = 30 fps
Index res 200% (Steam version) = 45 fps 

It's
really amazing how much better the Index looks and performs using
native Steam drivers. Getting 100% better performance using native Steam
drivers - and using res 200 % - compared to Rift CV1 ss 2.0 was not
exactly what I expected. Also note that Revive res 200% actually worked
better than CV1 ss 2.0 too. 
This kinda puts the awesome performance I'm getting in Alyx into some perspective - but I'd need to test that more thoroughly. 

I decided to do some crude benchmarking to see how it is for WMR these days using my Odyssey+ on my GTX 1080 with an I7 7700 CPU and 16 gigs of Ram. Using Revive Version 2.1.1 and SteamVR Beta branch as well as WMR for Steam beta branch.

I ran Aircar and I disabled motion vectoring and motion smoothing and put all settings
to max on 4 in game. In game SS to 1.0. Steam VR at 200% supersampling. I
left in game AA to 0.2.

First test I got
90 fps entire time on Steam version. Frame times were around 10-11ms
with GPU load going from 85-92%. It looks and plays amazing tbh. 

Oculus
version - I can't seem to disable Motion Vector, stuck at 45 FPS
despite it being off everywhere. GPU load of only 50% and a cpu of 40%
and a GPU frametime of 18-19ms. pretty terrible performance. Rip. I wanted Motion Vector off so I could see exactly how many fps I was producing. Just seeing the 45 could mean I'm producing 46 or 89. Big difference. The game is playable like this but with those frame times, prolly going to get nauseous after awhile.

That
got me wondering if something changed with Revive or if it was just limited to this game or what. So I loaded up Asgard's
Wrath. I went
in with Motion Vector/Motion smoothing all disabled and I actually got
really good performance at 200% supersampling or 2040 x 2552. Holding a steady 80 FPS on the default settings and Motion Vector is off as it should be. GPU frametimes of around 12ms.

I decided to start tinkering and see what I can do to get the most out of this game as I've wanted to play it since it released but I didn't really want to experience it on my CV1 with SDE and the last time I tried with O+ performance wasn't acceptable. Amazingly, I'm pretty impressed.

I switched my O+ to 60hz mode, left motion vector off. Dropped supersampling to 190% or 1988 x 2488 and went to Epic settings in game and this game looks pretty amazing. I'm dipping down to 40 fps in the tavern though with these settings so I further dropped shadows and effects and view distance to High and now I'm holding pretty much a solid 60 fps everywhere which is actually pretty comfortable. No nausea yet and no unpleasantness that is noticeable. I'm actually super excited now to play this game. My GPU frame times are around 12 and my GPU usage is going up to 96-97% lol. Getting every drop of performance out of that 1080. I'm out of time for today to test how it is with Motion Vectoring but I'll follow up with those results.

Anyways this is just a start and I thought I'd share. At some point I will test some other games, especially want to see what I can do with Stormlands over Revive and I'll bump this. I also want to finish getting a better comparison of performance loss of using Revive vs Steam version since my Aircar test was bugged. I own a few games on both so I will install them and test.  Feel free to share any of your own performance results on any headset.
88 REPLIES 88

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Ok, never really checked my cpu, could explain some things! 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Ps. UploadVR did write:

CPU

CPU is where Stormland’s requirements go noticeably beyond Asgard’s Wrath. Stormland’s large open worlds filled with enemies and interactables will tax even the strongest CPU.

Insomniac’s Recommendation: Intel Core i7-8700 / AMD Ryzen 7 2700X equivalent or greater

These processing requirements may contribute to some of the AI issues we noticed in our review. Often you’ll see only some enemies notice and fire at you. It is just speculation, but we wonder if the game may be deciding to only process some enemies in order to maintain framerate.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Ps. UploadVR did write:

CPU

CPU is where Stormland’s requirements go noticeably beyond Asgard’s Wrath. Stormland’s large open worlds filled with enemies and interactables will tax even the strongest CPU.

Insomniac’s Recommendation: Intel Core i7-8700 / AMD Ryzen 7 2700X equivalent or greater

These processing requirements may contribute to some of the AI issues we noticed in our review. Often you’ll see only some enemies notice and fire at you. It is just speculation, but we wonder if the game may be deciding to only process some enemies in order to maintain framerate.

Ah guess that confirms it. Yea when I was troubleshooting my problems initially I noticed that my CPU frametimes were much higher than any other game I tested with FPSVR. I started suspecting CPU rather quickly. People with a monster CPU may not have any problems.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Hi guys, I'm just about to get my nice new Index controllers for my Vive Pro (should be delivered early next week) and I'm just starting to play with Revive (version 1.9.2 as Rune suggested).  Seems to work fine (albeit with Vive wands gameplay sucks big time) and most, but not all, Oculus store games seem to work.

My question is; how do you set SS?  While most look very good as is I would like to be able to fine-tune this.  In-game settings seem to work fine (like Lone Echo and Robo Recall so it's no big deal for them.  However, there does not seem to be any way to set SS outside this.  The current OpenVR Advanced settings no longer has a Revive tab and SteamVR % Pixel Density does not seem to do anything.  I also tried using OTT but again this did not seem to work.  I have done a bit of Googling but I don't see any current solutions.  Maybe I'm missing something?

Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks and cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

Hi guys, I'm just about to get my nice new Index controllers for my Vive Pro (should be delivered early next week) and I'm just starting to play with Revive (version 1.9.2 as Rune suggested).  Seems to work fine (albeit with Vive wands gameplay sucks big time) and most, but not all, Oculus store games seem to work.

My question is; how do you set SS?  While most look very good as is I would like to be able to fine-tune this.  In-game settings seem to work fine (like Lone Echo and Robo Recall so it's no big deal for them.  However, there does not seem to be any way to set SS outside this.  The current OpenVR Advanced settings no longer has a Revive tab and SteamVR % Pixel Density does not seem to do anything.  I also tried using OTT but again this did not seem to work.  I have done a bit of Googling but I don't see any current solutions.  Maybe I'm missing something?

You set ss by setting StreamVR res for the specific game you are Reviving. On my rig, normally ss set in-game in Revived games has nio effect - it must be set by adjusting SteamVR res. After setting SteamVR res, if I do that when the game is running, I need to restart the game. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

You set ss by setting StreamVR res for the specific game you are Reviving. On my rig, normally ss set in-game in Revived games has nio effect - it must be set by adjusting SteamVR res. After setting SteamVR res, if I do that when the game is running, I need to restart the game. 

Thanks Rune, I'll need to play with this a lot more to find out what works and doesn't work.  I'll spend a little more time with all this once I get my new Index controllers.  Thanks again mate and cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
It would be interesting to know what you get working in Revive compared to what is suppose to work. I have a number of games that are suppose to work but don't.

I haven't tried all my Oculus games in Revive yet but the ones I remember so far that don't work are:

- pinball FX2
- Dreadhalls
- Radial G-Racing

No big deal though as most of my VR games are in Steam anyway.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

It would be interesting to know what you get working in Revive compared to what is suppose to work. I have a number of games that are suppose to work but don't.

I haven't tried all my Oculus games in Revive yet but the ones I remember so far that don't work are:

- pinball FX2
- Dreadhalls
- Radial G-Racing

No big deal though as most of my VR games are in Steam anyway.

My estimate is that about 80 % of my games and apps work. I think Dreadhalls works perfectly with 1.9.2. Some games may need a specific version of Revive - the maker once said, if he finetunes Revive for some games compatibility may be reduced for others.  

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have a dual wired PCVR setup (Vive Pro and Rift cv1).  Thanks to my Vive Pro's Link Box on/off switch and OTT's ability to turn on/off Oculus ovr runtime services (and its audio switcher), this works great for me.  My Quest 1 wireless with Virtual Desktop also seems to work well in this mix and VD settings seem to take over as necessary without any problems (plus automatically turns on its own oculus ovr runtime and SteamVR services).  So, I guess I actually have a 3x PCVR headset setup, lol!

The main fly in the ointment for me with Revive (1.9.2 or 2.1.1) is that to use it with my Vive Pro I need to go into my task manager and turn Oculus ovr runtime services back on or I get an error message that says I need to buy Oculus apps.  I have a bat file that can turn on/off these services but sometimes it does not work well and can end up disabling the service.

I also do not like that once I use Revive my SteamVR Void library includes both Oculus and Steam versions of games I have on both systems and I cannot tell which is which.  I guess I can just use the revive menu to hide these but I have not tried doing this.

So, I kinda think that my Rift cv1 with 2x SS and Q1 wireless (both oled) are still going to be my main go to PCVR headsets for all my Oculus Store apps.  Plus, pretty hard to beat those beautiful Oculus touch controllers.  Although, Index controllers are a very close second best with Oculus store apps w/Revive imho.

I'd probably persevere with Revive if I had a high res lcd headset like the Index or G2 but for now it's uninstalled and unlikely to be re-installed while both my Rift cv1 and Q1 continue to work well.  And, ya, I still have a spare cv1 cable and sensor as well, just in case, lol!