cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 2.0 beta does not work

DJDRB
Honored Guest

Hello All,

I am a noob when it comes to the VR scene and require some assistance.  Here is my problem out of the box the Rift work great, My problem comes when I opt into the beta, All I see is a black screen. I saw the latest update talking about ensuring that we use the Be Sure to Use Nvidia Driver 388.59 which I have done with the same negative result. Could one of you really savvy VR people help me out, This thing cost a lot of money for it not to work.

I have an acer G9-791-79Y3 (Predator) with the following specs:

Intel® Processor Type Core™ i7 Processor Generation 6th Gen Processor Model i7-6700HQ Processor Speed 2.60 GHz 32 GB

Graphics Controller Manufacturer NVIDIA® Graphics Controller Model GeForce® GTX 980M Graphics Memory Capacity Up to 4 GB

Graphics Memory Accessibility Dedicated

Interfaces/Ports

HDMI Yes

Total Number of USB Ports 4

Number of USB 3.0 Ports 4

USB Connector Type Type-C

Network (RJ-45) Yes

Audio Line Out Yes

DisplayPort Yes

Number of Thunderbolt 3 Ports 1

7 REPLIES 7

LZoltowski
Champion
can you post a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel?

tjn0y4we3pjj.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DJDRB
Honored Guest
@ LZoltowski - I will as soon as I get home, Why what are you thinking...

LZoltowski
Champion

DJDRB said:

@ LZoltowski - I will as soon as I get home, Why what are you thinking...

I have seen a lot of these reports on Laptops where all graphics go through the Intel chipset and not the GPU. 
In Home 2.0 Beta it is imperative that the Rift has direct access to the GPU and is not being routed via the Intel chipset. 

It looks like you have a display port which is good, some Laptop configurations have direct GPU access via Display Port, and by getting a 1.4a HDMI compatible Display Port to HDMI adapter works. 

Some laptop makers also allow the disabling of the intel chipset in BIOS, usually something along the lines of Discrete Only .. etc ...

EDIT: I did some digging and it seems that you can disable INTEL on your Laptop, however, it will disable the HDMI port too which is Intel only.  The DisplayPort is directly hooked up to NVIDIA. So I would recommend trying a Display Port to HDMI converter, the HDMI signal output must be 1.4 or up standard. 1.3 is known not to have enough bandwidth.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DJDRB
Honored Guest
Got it I will need a Display Port to HDMI converter, the HDMI signal output must be 1.4 or up I will get one and let you know if this worked.

DJDRB
Honored Guest

LZoltowski said:So I would recommend trying a Display Port to HDMI converter, the HDMI signal output must be 1.4 or up standard. 1.3 is known not to have enough bandwidth

@ LZoltowski just wanted to give a big thank you, you were correct i used the HDMI to Display Port flipped on beta and public restarted system and she fired right on up.

LZoltowski
Champion

DJDRB said:

LZoltowski said:So I would recommend trying a Display Port to HDMI converter, the HDMI signal output must be 1.4 or up standard. 1.3 is known not to have enough bandwidth

@ LZoltowski just wanted to give a big thank you, you were correct i used the HDMI to Display Port flipped on beta and public restarted system and she fired right on up.

Woohoo!!! Glad to hear it, have fun!

dance dancing GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dart board, pool table and dancing panda joining the already there putting green hole in Home 2.0 confirmed 😮 B) 😮