cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Mounted LEAP Motion

jwilkins
Explorer
Nate mentioned people mounting LEAP motion to the Rift, so he must have seen my video and others. For a second I was kind of thrilled that they added a USB hub to the DK2, but then I realized that the LEAP has several bright LEDs in it and that would interfere with the motion tracking camera of DK2.

I also expect the extra IR light from the headset to interfere with the LEAP itself.

Also, waving your hands in front of your face is going to occlude the DK2 from its camera.

So, I attached the LEAP to my face for nothing :lol:

(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
10 REPLIES 10

drash
Heroic Explorer
I just saw a LEAP for the first time last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how small it is!

On the interference issue, is it possible that the DK2 and/or LEAP IR LEDs flash at a very high rate, but at different frequencies so that each device knows what to look for and what to ignore?

I'm not very knowledgable about it so maybe that's just way out there, but there are probably more IR LEDs around the typical home full of electronics so it would be good to filter out the noise and all that.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

jwilkins
Explorer
I was considering that it may be possible to add the LEAP's LEDs to what the oculus camera is looking for by modifying the SDK.

The LEDs on the rift might actually serve to make your hands even easier to see for the LEAP.

That just leaves the problem of hiding the rift from the camera by raising your arms, which I'm sure they are already considering since it is a problem for more than this situation.

So, I'm not so pessimistic now. I'll just have to wait until I have my dk2
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

ad2003
Honored Guest
Leap Motion actually tracks great! I have one and I can say it's very precise. It's working very well. It's great that DK2 will have a usb on top.

Johnathon Selstad made this demo:

My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de

Gerald
Expert Protege
I really hope this will not break Leap integration into VR projects ... it would really be a sad thing. :?
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

diegocesaretti
Honored Guest
Every time I see this kind of demo with the leap or kinect with dissapearing fingers i think can You extrapolate the aproximate position of the rest of the fingers just by seeing one or two so they doesn't pop in and out? If You can do that this could work very well to represent hands in game in a realistic way

diegocesaretti
Honored Guest
Every time I see this kind of demo with the leap or kinect with dissapearing fingers i think can You extrapolate the aproximate position of the rest of the fingers just by seeing one or two so they doesn't pop in and out? If You can do that this could work very well to represent hands in game in a realistic way,

What if You mount the leap in a Belt?

Sawersadam
Honored Guest
"diegocesaretti" wrote:
What if You mount the leap in a Belt?

Or potentially even a bow-tie arrangement.
Got to say, Leap really looks like pre-haptics choice for the masses.

Alci
Honored Guest
I had hopes for LM until I really tried that one 😞 They either need to solve problem with room light interfering too much with it + critically low space it senses or it's useless with VR.

Right now the most suitable controllers I see are STEM system (for gaming compatibility) and something like Synertial Gloves for hand control (even when no software really supports it, and the price.. but it's step in right direction IMO).

LeapMotion
Honored Guest
@alci we hear you. Have you tried the LM with Unity Assets yet?
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12639

One of the issues with the Oculus Rift is that you can’t see anything around you while wearing the headset. Attaching the Leap Motion Controller allows users to see and interact with a virtual environment without the need to fumble for unseen peripherals. With the M1-created Leap Motion Demo Pack, it was quick and easy to get our hands into Unity3D and interact with objects seen through the Oculus Rift.

M-1's project:
http://vimeo.com/88488623