cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Price Extrapolation - $499

Anonymous
Not applicable
O.k. so we all heard the news that Palmer let slip that the rift is going to be more than the expected $350.

But I have extrapolated the actual pricing.

A few months ago back in May, Brendan Iribe was interviewed and the subject of pricing came up... something that has been a key issue over the last couple of years...

Given that Oculus themselves have stated on a number of occasions that the rift would sell at as close to cost price as possible.... which has been community accepted to mean around $350 given the price of the previous development kits.

What Brendan said to everyone's surprise was: -

“We are looking at an all-in price, if you have to go out and actually need to buy a new computer and you’re going to buy the Rift … at most you should be in that $1,500 range,” - Brendan Iribe (May 2015)
There was much confusion over why one should position the cost of something as high as possible given that it's obvious to most that the rift requires a PC to function.... that it is in effect a PC peripheral.

Much debate ensued and it was gradually accepted that they were attempting to tempt those people who hadn't a clue about PC gaming... which at that time didn't make much sense... and to be honest still doesn't... to me at least.

Then at the Oculus Connect 2 event Brendan announces...

Hardware partners Asus, Dell, and Alienware will all ship Oculus Rift-ready desktop PCs next year for under $1,000, in time for the Oculus Rift launch in Q1
Asus have already given there offering some serious grunt with the http://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CB/ and the https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/G11CD/

so $1000 dollars for the Gaming PC minus the $1500 for the whole package including the Rift... means that the Rift will be $500....

So the Rift will be $499......
27 REPLIES 27

benplace
Rising Star
I think back in May they were thinking an Oculus ready PC would be around $1,100. Palmer said it would be more than $349, but in that ballpark.
I am thinking $399

Anonymous
Not applicable
"benplace" wrote:
I think back in May they were thinking an Oculus ready PC would be around $1,100. Palmer said it would be more than $349, but in that ballpark.
I am thinking $399

We need a sweep stake..... 😄

The house get's 10% of the winnings :twisted:

:lol:

Postby andyring » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Definitely $400 in my opinion.

I'd be shocked if it goes for less. But happy

Remember how much you all laughed (or worse) when i told you you would be getting an Xbox One controller? 😉
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Roaster
Rising Star
$425
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

tamonte
Honored Guest
500$ is too high specially cause it doesn't have the Touch included, no more than 400$ imo.

When touch is out the bundle will be 500-550$

Touch alone 150-200$

and since im at it...

Vive will be 599$ 😉

HiThere_
Superstar
Current announcement stands at 350$-400$ for CV1, 949$-999$ for the PC, and nothing announced for Touch except that it was too expensive to bundle with the CV1.

So without Touch that's a 1299$-1399$ price range for those planning to buy a new PC.

And for an upgrade it's around 300$ for a GTX 970 (230$ for a R9 290), and as little as ~250$ for a i5 4590 and it's motherboard : Around 500$ for both.

Also I'm assuming you can get away with less then a i5 4590, but will want to have the best GPU you can afford. But that's just a personal assumption.

jyoun
Explorer
The $1k oculus ready PCs don't include a monitor and other essentials, do they, or are they so ready every is accomplished through the Rift? If not you might want to take those into account.

ejz6837
Explorer
Well $399 plus tax is close to $500. If you order online it will be over $500 when you add shipping. In the UK $500 is about £330...which doesn't sound that bad...if you already have the PC...which you do, right 😉

VizionVR
Rising Star
Palmer weighed in a little bit on Reddit about this:

"In the interest of stamping out confusion: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/
Starts at $949 next year. Prices could still come down a bit, and you can already build your own PC for quite a bit less than that, but don't expect to buy a prebuilt PC for $700!"
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.