cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Price Extrapolation - $499

Anonymous
Not applicable
O.k. so we all heard the news that Palmer let slip that the rift is going to be more than the expected $350.

But I have extrapolated the actual pricing.

A few months ago back in May, Brendan Iribe was interviewed and the subject of pricing came up... something that has been a key issue over the last couple of years...

Given that Oculus themselves have stated on a number of occasions that the rift would sell at as close to cost price as possible.... which has been community accepted to mean around $350 given the price of the previous development kits.

What Brendan said to everyone's surprise was: -

“We are looking at an all-in price, if you have to go out and actually need to buy a new computer and you’re going to buy the Rift … at most you should be in that $1,500 range,” - Brendan Iribe (May 2015)
There was much confusion over why one should position the cost of something as high as possible given that it's obvious to most that the rift requires a PC to function.... that it is in effect a PC peripheral.

Much debate ensued and it was gradually accepted that they were attempting to tempt those people who hadn't a clue about PC gaming... which at that time didn't make much sense... and to be honest still doesn't... to me at least.

Then at the Oculus Connect 2 event Brendan announces...

Hardware partners Asus, Dell, and Alienware will all ship Oculus Rift-ready desktop PCs next year for under $1,000, in time for the Oculus Rift launch in Q1
Asus have already given there offering some serious grunt with the http://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CB/ and the https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/G11CD/

so $1000 dollars for the Gaming PC minus the $1500 for the whole package including the Rift... means that the Rift will be $500....

So the Rift will be $499......
27 REPLIES 27

HiThere_
Superstar
"jyoun" wrote:
The $1k oculus ready PCs don't include a monitor and other essentials, do they, or are they so ready every is accomplished through the Rift? If not you might want to take those into account.

You're right, I'm not sure what they include, or rather what they don't include.

But the Oculus ready PCs start at 949$, a 1920x1080 monitor starts at 40$, and that's assuming you don't have a PC screen (even a 5 year old model will do), and can't plug your PC into (one of) your TV.

And it's the same story with the other essentials (a handful of dollars for a basic keyboard and mouse ? ) that may be lacking : It's not like you need high end gaming ones, not even wireless ones, and more like you won't be using them in VR.

Thug
Heroic Explorer
"ejz6837" wrote:
Well $399 plus tax is close to $500. If you order online it will be over $500 when you add shipping. In the UK $500 is about £330...which doesn't sound that bad...if you already have the PC...which you do, right 😉

If only this was how it was going to be.
Here in 'rip-off Britain' it will be about £400 plus.
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

GSS
Explorer
Can I call it now? I get the strange feeling vive and oculus( - touch) will be the same exact price or within $50 of each other. The first initial statement vive made was that they would probably be more expensive but that was when everyone thought the rift was going to be $350. Vives tracking tech didn't seem all that more expensive to me so I always thought if it did go over it would be maybe $50-150 at most. The rifts price is going to get jacked up at least 50 bucks to be significant and may more likely be a hundred since Palmers making a deal of it. That falls well within the range of this guess and it seems like most people are pegging the vive at 400-500 range.

Either way any price increase by oculus will make the next couple of years more interesting. If I'm completely wrong it still brings the price closer to the vive or other devices so more people may be willing to consider alternate headsets.

Chivas
Expert Protege
Oculus Rift with Touch and two trackers should be a cheaper than the Vive "IF" Oculus still plans to sell their hardware near cost. Unless the Rift has more custom hardware than the Vive unit, which could well be the case. BUT most people won't require input devices other than a game pad, so the first Rift solution with no input devices other than the gamepad thrown in by Microsoft and only one tracking unit, should be much cheaper than the Vive setup with two wands and two tracking units.

I like the Vive unit, but think the Oculus might end up having better specs. Both are supposed to be using similar Oled resolution displays, but I suspect that the special VR enhanced display that Samsung in developing for the Rift might have better features, like a higher PPI, and/or smaller space between pixels, etc.

We haven't heard anything lately about the final specs, or content of the release version of the Vive, they might still have some tricks up their sleeve, and I think they will need it to compete with Oculus price and content wise. I don't think that HTC's current struggles will allow them to sell their hardware near cost. Either way the competition is good for us consumers.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
"vizionvr" wrote:
Palmer weighed in a little bit on Reddit about this:

"In the interest of stamping out confusion: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/
Starts at $949 next year. Prices could still come down a bit, and you can already build your own PC for quite a bit less than that, but don't expect to buy a prebuilt PC for $700!"

So that means you can expect to buy a prebuilt PC for $701, thus the rift must cost $799! Confirmed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find this thread funny xD cus I just posted something to what he said 😛

Actually the funny part is that they said CV1 with everything would be $1,500. Now that they release prices for a 1000$ PC ~ they have a wiggle room of about 500$ for the headset if you look at the break down.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/27/ocul ... s-pc-1500/
Why are people just now realizing this xD?

Anyways, I HIGHERLY bet it wont be 499$ unless they plan on a back lash or comes with some awesome stuff, but at the same time I can see why it would be that price point because of the following:
"willste" wrote:

Upgrades from DK2:
- Dual Custom OLED Screens
- Integrated Custom Audio
- Custom made lenses to remove/reduce SDE
- 360 tracking
- Adjustable IPD

Just to expain on that even more:
- Dual custom screens that hit 90Hz - custom and two meaning that it add cost x2
- Even more custom look that uses some higher quality fabric- custom meaning they add cost
- Custom made lenses - custom meaning they add cost
- More moving parts/IDP - moving parts meaning they add cost

All theses nicer features added cost on top of everything. Now, I don't think it'll be 500$ or something crazy like that, but I can sure seeing it being 400$. Anything higher might cause a back lash and would have to be justified at that point. Isn't Morpheus and Vive rumor to be around 450$ and 500-550$?

I bet they will wanna keep lower or around the same price points. With that said ~ it might be still 350-500$ in price.

"Chivas" wrote:
I like the Vive unit, but think the Oculus might end up having better specs. Both are supposed to be using similar Oled resolution displays, but I suspect that the special VR enhanced display that Samsung in developing for the Rift might have better features, like a higher PPI, and/or smaller space between pixels, etc.

To be honest, I don't think they got anything out of that deal other than access to the same tech that Vive did. My understanding is that the lenses were what was doing all the work to remove the SDE while the bump up in resolution help made it look a bit sharper. Don't disregard the 90Hz display rate though. That will help BIG time when playing in them for longer periods of time and the over all sharpness of what you are looking at. I'm jealous in some ways:)

Chivas
Expert Protege
So you believe Oculus did all the work on the Samsung GearVR just to get the same deal on a custom display as HTC Vive would get?

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
"Chivas" wrote:
So you believe Oculus did all the work on the Samsung GearVR just to get the same deal on a custom display as HTC Vive would get?

I believe all that Oculus got from the deal was 100% serving Oculus mobile VR plans.
This is just my blind shot though and I might be wrong. I want to be. But then again something just doesn't add up here. Samsung deal + FB money and... 1080x1200 resolution, no confirmation of RGB panel, no future deal already in motion, Oculus saying it doesn't know when the better resolution displays will start to exist and interviews where guys from Oculus say that the visit at Samsung opened their eyes on mobile VR.
And remember the "language of the politicians and PR guys". If all they (Samsung) did was just to change a backlight to make it 90Hz, it will still allow Palmer to say that the display is DEDICATED display which was built especially for their VR.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

Chivas
Expert Protege
"RonsonPL" wrote:
"Chivas" wrote:

I believe all that Oculus got from the deal was 100% serving Oculus mobile VR plans.
This is just my blind shot though and I might be wrong. I want to be. But then again something just doesn't add up here. Samsung deal + FB money and... 1080x1200 resolution, no confirmation of RGB panel, no future deal already in motion, Oculus saying it doesn't know when the better resolution displays will start to exist and interviews where guys from Oculus say that the visit at Samsung opened their eyes on mobile VR.
And remember the "language of the politicians and PR guys". If all they (Samsung) did was just to change a backlight to make it 90Hz, it will still allow Palmer to say that the display is DEDICATED display which was built especially for their VR.

Facebook money, and the Samsung partnership would easily add up to the development of a Samsung custom VR display at a very reasonable pricepoint. Suggesting that its unlikely wouldn't make much sense.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Chivas

It sure looks like it when you put it this way.
But.
Do you think similar display wouldn't be created without such deal?
I think that there's pretty good chance that the display would look the same and price wouldn't be risen by 100$ per unit.
This seems likely to me.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.