cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Dooguk said:
You are obviously very average, 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Dooguk said:

Best. GIF. Evar. lol  😄

flexy123
Superstar
The Rift S was not meant as an upgrade for current Rift users, this is clear - however I would have WISHED if Oculus had thrown us existing Rift user a bone, that is a SLIGHTLY (!) improved Rift (which addressed the current flaws, eg. optics) at a REASONABLE price.
€449 (or more likely even €499) is a ridiculous price for current Rift users who thought they may possibly get an affordable slight upgrade that could tie them over until a possible CV2.
For me, the omitting of the good Rift CV1 headphones and the price are the biggest show-stoppers.
* That being said, I think the inside-out tracking MAY WELL be good and should cover 99% of scenarios, without the annoying and always flakey USB sensors. (The USB had always been a cause for all sorts of issues, it's just not 100% reliable. And so was OLED and the problems with blacks, black smear, SPUD etc..
As said, I think LCD and inside-out are good, I would have totally gotten this if it was reasonably priced and with the existing CV1 headphones. Even if I had a way to get a Rift S for €199 (which for me would be the only acceptable price as a an "upgrade" to a flawed Rift, even then I would only get it if I would manage to connect the CV1 headphones to it).
For "VR newcomers" (people who never had a Rift before) then again S looks more reasonable, but I still think it is priced a tad too high.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@flexy123 - I think it's worth more then £199 LoL. Maybe £350 would have being good, but their not going to sell this for £199 that's for sure.

Anonymous
Not applicable
199 quid lmfao  😄 😄 😄

Please tell me that isn't a serious post lololol

I've mentioned this in PM but I'm going to repeat myself here.

I'd like to see all the people wanting to have a cheaper Rift-S or a refund on their recently purchased Rift as a way to exchange to the Rift-S... in the same room as the people who think the Rift-S should have been better.

There's potential for generating considerable energy there. You just have to get the intermix ratio right.... and have a good flow of flux in the phase inducers Captain.

ksn
Protege
Likely not getting Rift S. It's not the next generation Rift. I can't describe what is that. A bit increase resolution and better lenses are only advantage over CV1. All other features... seems to be disadvantage o_O

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Meanwhile at the Legion of Doom
mce0f0hd3zd3.jpeg
WAAAGH!

Digikid1
Consultant

Dooguk said:

Zenbane said:

I didn't know the Go had a fixed IPD.
Every now & then people say useful stuff 😜 

I don't know what my IPD is, but my GO has always looked glorious to me!

Well at least he types OUTSIDE the quote box like you’re supposed to. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Do all the people on these forums that know their IPD wear glasses? I was just wondering because I don't know my IPD but I don't wear glasses so maybe that's why. 

I currently own Oculus GO though and I don't feel any discomfort compared to my Rift which is also perfect but obviously has the IPD slider. So I'm guessing my IPD must be in the majority range of 65. Although I do have a big head! lol

I'm not sure it has anything to do with having a large head, it's more to do with how far apart your eyes are. I think having a large head would just give you an Oculus face. 

LOL I've apparently got a huge head with little eyes...think beetlejuice but in reverse lol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhYidRnUYAAy2AN.jpg
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!