cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S slight concern in first person shooters?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Just go to 8:28 of this YouTube video and this is my only concern with Rift S. He mentions that one controller in-front of the other becomes a problem because it blocks the other controller, but for anyone who's used a WMD headset is this really a problem? He also says there's a problem when the controller gets to close to the headset so wouldn't placing a camera below the headset have been a good idea?

I play games like Onward, so this is a slight concern if it doesn't work properly. I am also unsure why the camera isn't picking his rifle position up in this video because his head is above the controllers and not directly in-front of the them? 

What do you reckon, do you think first person shooters and holding the controllers in a rifle position will be fine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbgFRCfd2w
67 REPLIES 67

I wouldn't know - i shoot from the hip and i only need one arm to carry my GPMG.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
When holding a rifle, you don't stick it to your face. If your controller is touching your headset, you're holding it wrong xD!
As for the other occlusion situation, that can be avoided by holding one slightly below the other. At least I hope so.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

When holding a rifle, you don't stick it to your face. If your controller is touching your headset, you're holding it wrong

So you've never shot a rifle before, is what you're really saying lol

Anyone who knows how to fire a rifle properly knows that simulating that process with a VR HMD on your face and hand controllers will probably end up bumping the two together. I've been shooting rifles since I was quite young, and I've gone through training as well. What you just described is most certainly wrong.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

When holding a rifle, you don't stick it to your face. If your controller is touching your headset, you're holding it wrong xD!
As for the other occlusion situation, that can be avoided by holding one slightly below the other. At least I hope so.

That is completely incorrect.
Theres a term called check weld where you place your cheek solidly against the rifle stock.
It is a basic and common term since the inception of rifles used by target shooters and military alike.
WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I mean gosh, holding it close to your face is how people win Gold Metals at the official Olympics!!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@LuluViBritannia - I place my elbow tight to my side and my hand is pressed against my cheek to steady my aim in Onward. I do this because I don't use a rifle stock.

The guy in the YouTube video has a rifle stock and he says it's a problem because it places the controller below the sight of the camera. That rifle stock he is using mimics a rifle to some degree. Did you watch the video I posted?

I just hope Oculus still allow you to use your sensors with Rift -S. It can't be that hard to keep it in the software and they did say they would see how things went before deciding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't know - i shoot from the hip and i only need one arm to carry my GPMG.

Yup, I agree. Holding a gun with the stock anywhere near your shoulder is for wimps. B)

ShocksVR
Superstar
For
Onward we do have a feature on the works that'll make the experience
more stable for the Rift S and similar tracked devices with Update v1.6
More info on this exactly will be found in our sitrep post for next week Friday! 😉

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bkanog/i_received_my_rift_s_today/emfbos0?utm_source=share&...

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

MrDood12
Expert Protege

For
Onward we do have a feature on the works that'll make the experience
more stable for the Rift S and similar tracked devices with Update v1.6
More info on this exactly will be found in our sitrep post for next week Friday! 😉

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bkanog/i_received_my_rift_s_today/emfbos0?utm_source=share&...

Thanks for sharing! 😄