cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift V Vive

ennogs
Expert Protege
According to this article the Vive is a lot better than the rift visually. The Rift is more comfortable to wear than the Vive.

Has anybody tried both? If you have would you agree with the article?

http://www.stuff.tv/features/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive
73 REPLIES 73

Malkmus1979
Explorer
"darkcrayon" wrote:
"Zandil" wrote:

Well that seals the Rift for my choice, only reason at this stage i would go with Vive is if their game selection becomes a major factor, but only time will tell on that one.

But that also suggests that Vive VR developers can expect that everyone has the hardware for "free movement", but Rift customers do not. Of course that's only an issue if there are initially titles that only work on one HMD and not the other.

This is less a problem than most people think it it is. The tracking volume is dependent on the hardware you the consumer have in your home, and the available space to move around in it. Devs do not place restrictions on how far you can move. Standing up in any current Rift game and walking around is only inhibited by the tracker in front of you and the level design. You may walk outside of the cockpit of your spacecraft, but you can do it.

tamonte
Honored Guest
Just Imagine Elite Dangerous...It will be awesome to be able to step off the cockpit and walk arround your ship 🙂 Would also be amazing if they allowed more then one crew member per ship...the potential is huge 😄

VizionVR
Rising Star
And if you have a small space, how will you juggle your virtual fruit?

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Zandil
Rising Star
Free roaming is more up to the type of game and the software Dev if they want to take advantage of it, Both HMD's allow standing and walking around. I'm not seeing walking around as a issue, both HMD's really are very similar and it will come down to the finer details about them and the range of games, will Devs code for both or pick a side is yet to be fully confirmed.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Zandil" wrote:
Free roaming is more up to the type of game and the software Dev if they want to take advantage of it, Both HMD's allow standing and walking around. I'm not seeing walking around as a issue, both HMD's really are very similar and it will come down to the finer details about them and the range of games, will Devs code for both or pick a side is yet to be fully confirmed.

If they're not bound to an exclusive agreement, devs will code for as many HMD manufacturers as possible. They will also make sure their content will support walking AND seated/controller locomotion. And hopefully, in the near future, we'll begin to see devs move toward a more universal API like OSVR.

willste
Explorer
"RiftXdev" wrote:
the Rift needs to be 350

Looks like it will be close to that. $1500 dollars for Oculus with a PC that can run it. And that's already with the information that they recommend at minimum an R9 290 so we are looking at a PC with a $250 graphics card or better, which should equate to about $1k build, maybe a bit more.

The puts Oculus squarely in the range of $350-$500 dollars. I honestly think they will settle at $400, a little more than Dk2 while eating the extra build cost.

Vive keeps saying they want to be priced as a premium device. But they have never told us what they think a non premium price would be with motion controls so their pricing is totally up in the air aside from assuming that it will cost more than DK2. To my mind Vives so far, as a dev kit, has little to no justification for a drastically higher price that what CV1 plus the eventual touch package will cost. Mainly because they have not proven to be drastically superior in tracking. There solution may scale better but in an office I don't think this differentiation is worth much. Maybe their final headset will have more improvements and put them in a premium spot. Their headset will definitly cost more to produce at least hardware wise, given that the HMD is covered in sensors and the lighthouse nodes look complex to manufacture compared to a simple camera.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"willste" wrote:
Vive keeps saying they want to be priced as a premium device.

Where is this coming from? I've seen posters stating this throughout Reddit. If true, it seems like a terrible thing to brag about. I know HTC has said it's to have premium content at a slightly higher price point, but can you show me where they said it's being priced as a premium device?

Zandil
Rising Star
"vizionvr" wrote:
"willste" wrote:

Where is this coming from? I've seen posters stating this throughout Reddit. If true, it seems like a terrible thing to brag about. I know HTC has said it's to have premium content at a slightly higher price point, but can you show me where they said it's being priced as a premium device?

I found this in regards to Vive price
http://www.pcgamer.com/vive-will-launch ... o-htc-rep/

I used to think the Vive would be priced around $600-800 but after reading that I would put my guess closer to $800 -1000 now

danknugz
Superstar
"vizionvr" wrote:
"Zandil" wrote:

If they're not bound to an exclusive agreement, devs will code for as many HMD manufacturers as possible. They will also make sure their content will support walking AND seated/controller locomotion. And hopefully, in the near future, we'll begin to see devs move toward a more universal API like OSVR.

I wouldn't be so certain about this. Unless oculus and valve are sharing driver code behind the scenes, it could easily play out that one actually works decently as advertised, while the other barely works at all, is subject to extreme judder and latency unless you have a machine that can dumb brute force the calculations as we currently see with the DK2. If that ends up being the case, devs will gravitate towards the one that actually works because no one is going to want to deal with the "oculus dance" that so many dk2 testers have become accustomed to, nor will your average consumer be willing to have to spend 4 grand on what amounts to basically an alpha level experience with a dearth of games in the first year or so and a cheap ass FOV.

I'll be very surprised if oculus manages to get their shit together with the release of this new 0.7 driver which removes extended mode, because just about everything that works on an average machine right now only works in extended mode. Can't say anything for the VIve, I have no clue how good ( or horrible) their drivers are.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Zandil" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
"willste" wrote:

I found this in regards to Vive price
http://www.pcgamer.com/vive-will-launch ... o-htc-rep/

I used to think the Vive would be priced around $600-800 but after reading that I would put my guess closer to $800 -1000 now

“Starting with the premium experience, even if it has a slightly higher price point, is the right thing to do from a strategic point of view. The price can always come down as the market grows. We know there is some pent up demand there, so there’s not so much price sensitivity early on. But to get the broader consumer adoption we’re all hoping for, the industry will have to drive price down to make it more accessible.”

As I thought. this misconception about premium (i.e.: ultra high) pricing is based on the above quoted statement. Just because a sentence has the words "premium" and "price" in it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to have a premium price tag. In this case the word "premium" refers to the experience, not the price. In reality, the price is referred as being "slightly higher", whatever that means, Some Oculus supporters have taken the term "slightly higher" to mean "exorbitant".

I'm not going to discuss specific pricing about the Rift or the Vive, although I should mention that Oculus claims the Rift will be "The best VR at any price.", they fail to mention if the so called "any price" includes the cost of the controllers and the additional Constellation camera to be sold later, whereas the Vive will release a complete package this November, HMD, controllers, and two lighthouses. So yes, a slightly higher price point should be expected.

The above quote is a very realistic and truthful description of what the early VR market mindset actually is, as opposed to the simplistic, condescending semi-promise of "The best VR at ANY price." This seems like an appeal to the lowest common denominator. It sounds like a car salesman trying to get rid of his overstock for a quick buck. The Rift experience may be better than the Vive, but advertising it as the cheap alternative is a piss-poor business decision.

Just giving my opinion, it shouldn't be confused as fact and shouldn't be contested as such. But when I read an opinion based on a skewed fact repeated ad nauseum...
"willste" wrote:
...I feel a need to say something.