cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Visual Experience Improvement Update

cybereality
Grand Champion
We are pushing out a software update that can improve the visual experience in the Rift for many people. Already a percentage of people have received the change. By the end of this week, everyone should have the update.

Keep in mind there can still be some natural differences in the screens that won't be affected by this software update. So I don't want to over-hype it. But people that were experiencing red tint should see an improvement after they receive the software update.

If you were previously given the SPUD tool, you should revert back to normal in order to see the new fix.

Thanks so much for your patience and continued support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
130 REPLIES 130

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great news! Last week was my first using the Rift, had started to notice a red tint [glow] more across the top of the screens. Hopefully, the new patch will help alleviate the issue somewhat 🙂

gplaurin
Protege

We are pushing out a fix for red tint, that should resolve the issue for many people. Already a small percentage of people have received the change. Starting tomorrow, about 50% of users will receive the fix and by Wednesday everyone will. 

Keep in mind there can still be some display issues that won't be fixed by this software update. So I don't want to over-hype it. But the majority of people with red tinting issues should see an improvement after they receive the fix.

If you were previously given the SPUD tool, you should revert back to normal in order to see the new fix.

Thanks so much for your patience and continued support.

Can you provide an Oculus Home version number to check if we already got the update?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Everyone already got the update already with 1.8. However, certain special features are only enabled for certain percentages of random user accounts. So I don't believe you'll see any update message, it may just happen in the background. I can update this thread once I've confirmed that everyone got the fix.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ntsthrilla
Explorer
wow fantastic news!!!

neonridr
Explorer
@cybereality

so this isn't something we have to specifically ask for then?  It should be automatically fixed on our end?  I suffered from a slight red tint issue in my left lens at the bottom corner, but only showed up during loading screens.  So I never submitted a ticket or anything because it was fine while displaying stuff on it.  I may still see an improvement included with my update?

Bells_Theorem
Honored Guest

If I'm not sure if I'm suffering with this red tint problem, how will I know if it's been fixed... :wink:

Good to see the team have resolved this issue, Cyber, I hope you're all doing OK. 

I only notice it in dark scenarios. It seems to be a dim reddish light strongest near the top that gradually fades to black near the bottom. If you can duplicate this now, then do the same come Wednesday's update to see if it is still there. 

Crona
Honored Guest
Can you confirm that the update should resolve both the "speckled" and "band/stripe" red tint? Also, any chance we can hear about the cause and fix on a technical level? Surely I'm not alone in being interested, and it'd make for an interesting read!

Mike1
Protege
Just a couple questions.. What is the underlying cause of the issue? Does it affect everyone? and like the spud tool, will this add some slight smearing of black images?

Thanks!  PS I Love you guys haha ❤️

blanes
Rising Star
So I tried to run my Spud.bat tool to be certain it is on but it could not find the registry entry ?  So does that mean the fix is enabled ?  Should I manually enter the entry back in ?  Confusion continues !