cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift / Vive - The Race to 4K!

aztecsurf
Explorer
After trying both the new Rift and the Vive I can say, yes we need better resolution but I understand the current limitations.

I would imagine in the next few months after these have saturated the market and driver issues are worked out, the big two companies are going to focus on Next-Gen displays if they have not already. My question would be timing and hardware available.

Ideally I could see two solutions coming out on the next round for these.

1. Dual 4K screens and wider FOV. 🙂
2. Single 4K screen or split screens at 4K total and wider FOV.

With Nvidia Pascal coming around the corner, hopefully we will see cards that can handle 4K at 90FPS on the top models.
Fast forward another year and the next lineup will be even better.

Low polygon count games seem to be the normal thing right now to maintain 90FPS consistently. May be the case in the future as well.

What about dual 4K screen support? In a perfect world 4K per eye in the HMD would be absolute bliss. What would it take to drive these? Dual Nvidia or ATI monster cards in SLI? Triple?

What kind of Intel or AMD processor would it take to maintain this as well?

At a bare minimum we can hope to see 4K in the next batch. 120 FOV and we are looking good! Fingers crossed.
2 REPLIES 2

Roming22
Adventurer
i do not think we should expect the next generation to have 4K per eye.

That is about 16 times the current amount of pixel.
If the next generation comes in 3 years, we should expect a 4 time increase in GPU capabilities at most. So the GTX-1280-Ti, or whatever it will be called, won't be able to push that much pixels.

However it will be able to push 2K screen per eye. And it will be awesome.

Also, we are already using quite PPI displays, coming from the mobile phone industry. But screens for phone are already awesome in sharpness. I'm not sure VR is big enough to trigger the next generation of display with 1000 PPI or more.

Improvements in HW architecture and rendering algorithms (e.g. foveated, with eye tracking) might decrease the load, but 4K per eye, I really don't see it happening in the next 5 years.

But no need to worry, next gen is going to be awesome, and we will want it 😉

edmg
Trustee
I wouldn't be surprised to see special VR cards come out with dual GPUs per card and the driver infrastructure to support it. That could double performance.

Foveated rendering seems to cut about 1/3 off of the rendering requirements, so now we've tripled the performance.

If we assume Pascal is 50% faster than current cards, we've now more than quadrupled performance.

So going to 2160p in CV2 with foveated rendering wouldn't be impossible, though it still seems unlikely if that comes out in two years.