cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift & Vive games compatible in future?

Thomixioso
Level 2
Important factor of buying Rift or Vive is in offered content. Would be possible in future to play Rift games on Vive and vice versa? Or is this stricly locked by their SDK?

Any opinion?
9 REPLIES 9

NickytheHutt
Level 5
I believe it's up to the game developers to make their games compatible with software runtimes or API's that themselves are compatible with Rift and Vive respectively.

Thomixioso
Level 2
Yes, I hope so, because then developers can sell a lot more. I am interested if it will be even possible to simply compile game from one HDM to another.

Mradr
Level 13
"Thomixioso" wrote:
Yes, I hope so, because then developers can sell a lot more. I am interested if it will be even possible to simply compile game from one HDM to another.

Yes is the answer. My understanding is that Steam doesn't care who you go for as it'll sell software and that is their main goal. Now, it's still up to the game dev. to support both as steam doesn't have control over that, but Steam is playing fair allowing anyone to join witch is a good thing. On the other hand, Steam might help push dev. onto their side with better API support in their game store (VIVE READY!). While the Oculus (VR READY) might be all we get.

Tim74UK
Level 4
my personal view is that the Vive and the Rift will both have access to the same software, much in the same way that Android and Apple have.

There will be some exclusivity that may take advantage of the differences between the various HMD's, but on the whole the market will be furnished with cross platform software.

I think we are about to enter a Renaissance in gaming, there are a wealth of games that would lend themselves well to VR from the past...
My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

Zoomie
Level 11
Answered here

TL;DR - At the moment both Oculus and SteamVR are saying they will be compatible. With the same resolution and similar control inputs, there's no reason why you won't be able to play games on either system.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

bigmike20vt
Level 14
I am just relieved. It's bad enough sony zipping up exclusives which were coming to pc without oculus and valve getting in a pissing contest.
So long as vive and rift games are open on both platforms it really does not matter which hmd we get any more than if you buy a Samsung or a Panasonic TV. If vr is to thrive this is how it has to work imo
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

obzen
Level 5
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
I am just relieved. It's bad enough sony zipping up exclusives which were coming to pc without oculus and valve getting in a pissing contest.
So long as vive and rift games are open on both platforms it really does not matter which hmd we get any more than if you buy a Samsung or a Panasonic TV. If vr is to thrive this is how it has to work imo

SteamVR is an open platform API. Oculus VR, dunno, I hope it is. Anyway, TBH, there is little reasons to have several APIs that do pretty much the same thing.
DK1 FREAK...

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"obzen" wrote:
"bigmike20vt" wrote:

SteamVR is an open platform API. Oculus VR, dunno, I hope it is. Anyway, TBH, there is little reasons to have several APIs that do pretty much the same thing.

Steam VR supports the rift hmd, because it uses the oculus SDK internally if it detects a rift (although not very well at the moment, and is most likely adding extra latency due to passing through two apis instead of one). The oculus sdk doesn't understand any other hmds and I've seen no indication that it ever will. That means the rift potentially gets more software.

OSVR is the attempt to make a fully cross hmd compatible software stack. But it's currently the worst implemented.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

onefang
Level 3
There are also several open source efforts to create generic libraries that are cross platform. Since this is exactly what I'm looking for, I've started researching them all here -

https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/resear ... d_support/

Yes, I know, you need an account to read that. Server software's fault, and it's not my server. So I get to explain why you might want to log onto a random web site some crazy anonymous web dude pointed you at. B-)

"Enlightenment" is the Enlightenment desktop environment, mostly for Linux. Like GNOME and KDE, only slightly less popular. We also have Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL), a cross platform toolkit that the latest Enlightenment is built on. It's used in Tizen. I'm an EFL developer, the one that suggested EFL supports facebricks. So that means I get to "volunteer" to do the work. Unfortunately, that work has to live on that server, but is otherwise not encumbered. I'd rather it was just fully public, but I gotta work with the tools we got. Just create a throw away account, or wait until I get around to sticking it some place more openly public.

Here's the brief summary of the libraries I have found so far, in Phabricator's markup, coz I just copy pasted it -

== [[ https://github.com/ultranbrown/libovr_nsb | libovr_nsb ]]
> "Pure C implementation of the Oculus Rift SDK"
A conversion of the Oculus SDK (horrid bit of C++ coding, not all of it open surce) into open source C.

== [[ http://hg.sitedethib.com/libvr | LibVR ]]
> "Simple C library to handle virtual reality headsets"

== [[ http://openhmd.net/ | OpenHMD ]]
> "OpenHMD aims to provide a Free and Open Source API and drivers for immersive technology, such as head mounted displays with built in head tracking. Our focus is to implement support for as much as possible devices for any platform availble."

== [[ https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr | OpenVR ]]
Made by Valve, so related to SteamVR. Apparently it's just a thin wrapper around libraries from other HMD makers, which also tend to be binary blobs. Doesn't seem to have any actual source, github is full of binaries. WTF?

== [[ http://osvr.org/ | OSVR ]]
> "Kind of wish valve had just embraced OSVR. It's got a much broader
> scope, and includes position, orientation, pose, analog/button inputs,
> skeletal tracking (hands and body), and eye tracking. It supports input
> devices distributed across a network (e.g. using a smartphone or
> smartwatch as an orientation tracker from your PC), and is based on an
> already proven industry standard (VRPN) used for many years. It's also
> extensible and supports "virtual" interfaces in a pipeline - for
> example, a plugin that takes raw sensor data and smooths it, or combines
> multiple orientation/position sensors into a skeletal pose tracking
> interface."

== [[ https://github.com/vrpn/vrpn/wiki | VRPN ]]
This is the library the ndofdev developer highly recommends for new VR work, which we might need for input controllers anyway. Works as a server that your application connects to, designed so that the devices can be spread across a network. Uses .C file extension, and the little bits I have looked at all actually look like C. This has been around for a very long time, there's even an Amiga port I think.

Actually, I think VRPN is for the input devices only, the HMD support listed is for the position / rotation trackers used, not the actual display. Which is likely why OSVR use it as a base, but then add display support on top.

/copypaste

EDIT: fixed a few typos, clarified some language.