cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rift can do room scale but...

maxpare79
Level 10
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/22/112833 ... room-scale
Not sure I would have said people don't want it... I would have just said we can do it and can't wait to show it to you once Touch is ready... Probably just PR talk because Touch isn't ready... But not the smartest comment
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first ๐Ÿ™‚ I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
141 REPLIES 141

Percy1983
Level 9
"zork2001" wrote:
People that are happy without room scale have never tried room scale end of discussion. People that donโ€™t like or see the point in VR have never tried a VR HMD end of discussion.


You literally have never heard anyone after using a Vive be like that was pointless, I think I would just rather have sat there and gone through that demo.


That's because all the current tech demos are set to show room scale at its best, when they try pushing it into bigger experiences the cracks will show.

"Rigel80" wrote:
Imagine being in front of a huge boss, the boss is so huge that even moving your head left and right you see the same image, to feel the size of the boss you have to move your character to see it from different angles.

-With oculus rift the only way is to move your character with the analogic stick.
-With the HTC vive you can do 4-5 steps with your real feet.

This make a huge difference in the sense of scale that you feel because we all measure the dimensions and the distances comparing them to our body and the movement of our legs.


So can we agree this boss will look just as big without room scale?

I agree it would be nice to take a step back to see more etc, but what if I have seen enough and wish to run away?

Likewise in real life I can look at something and decide its size at any distance, call it a nice landmark I can see it and be amazed, taking a few steps in any direction doesn't usually change how amazing something is, come to think of it I do usually stay still when taking something in.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"zork2001" wrote:
People that are happy without room scale have never tried room scale end of discussion. People that donโ€™t like or see the point in VR have never tried a VR HMD end of discussion.


You literally have never heard anyone after using a Vive be like that was pointless, I think I would just rather have sat there and gone through that demo.

Agree with this, although I doubt it's the end of any discussion!
I can understand anyone choosing an HMD based on optics quality, comfort, price, hand-tracked controller availability, convenience of cameras vs. lighthouse installation... these are all valid reasons.
But to say they don't want a Vive simply because they're not interested in room-scale (as some people are still saying) is confusing, it's a feature which you may or may not ever use but why choose not to have it?
Many seem to be the same people who then say.... well the Rift can do room-scale too... when questioned further, so I'm doubly confused.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

notsram
Level 9
I'd love to be able to at least try room scale, but my PC room/man cave is roughly 6 ft x 4ft and that's way too small for anything other than a stationary experience.

If/when I win the lottery or move, I'll be sampling room scale like a shot, but until then, much though I'd love it, it's not for me.

Rigel80
Level 3
"Percy1983" wrote:


"Rigel80" wrote:
Imagine being in front of a huge boss, the boss is so huge that even moving your head left and right you see the same image, to feel the size of the boss you have to move your character to see it from different angles.

-With oculus rift the only way is to move your character with the analogic stick.
-With the HTC vive you can do 4-5 steps with your real feet.

This make a huge difference in the sense of scale that you feel because we all measure the dimensions and the distances comparing them to our body and the movement of our legs.


So can we agree this boss will look just as big without room scale?

I agree it would be nice to take a step back to see more etc, but what if I have seen enough and wish to run away?

Likewise in real life I can look at something and decide its size at any distance, call it a nice landmark I can see it and be amazed, taking a few steps in any direction doesn't usually change how amazing something is, come to think of it I do usually stay still when taking something in.


No I do not agree, but you have to try room scale to understand.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"CardinalStorm" wrote:
I think it would be wise if everyone here accepted that we're not living in a world full of clones, and that opinions and needs differ from one person to the next.

To categorically state that those who don't see the point in room scale and/or VR obviously haven't tried it, is a foolish remark. Some don't want to entertain room scale until wireless HMDs are available. My dad has never tried VR, but I guarantee, even after trying it, he'd not be in the least bit interested to try it again, let alone buy it.

If you want room scale, great, buy it and feel free to share with others why. Equally, if you don't want it, fine, don't buy it and feel free to share with others why.

But arguing over why your opinion is the right opinion - like it's fact and all other opinions are nonsense - is pretentious bollocks.

Be nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

To a degree I understand and agree with you but....
I feel sometimes that some people are treating VR as an extension to their existing gaming experience... and some people are treating it as a potential window to completely new experiences.
Now I agree that both of these views are valid and shouldn't be criticized... but the more people dismiss room-scale, the more likely it'll be dismissed by developers and the less likely we'll have those completely new experiences.

The other point as that a sitting experience is more likely to be a 180 degree experience, whereas room-scale is more likely to encompass a 360 experience by its very nature, it won't necessarily need room to move... it could be just standing.

These are the reasons I keep promoting it.. hopefully not in a pretentious or bollocks-talking way ๐Ÿ™‚

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

notsram
Level 9
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
"CardinalStorm" wrote:
I think it would be wise if everyone here accepted that we're not living in a world full of clones, and that opinions and needs differ from one person to the next.

To categorically state that those who don't see the point in room scale and/or VR obviously haven't tried it, is a foolish remark. Some don't want to entertain room scale until wireless HMDs are available. My dad has never tried VR, but I guarantee, even after trying it, he'd not be in the least bit interested to try it again, let alone buy it.

If you want room scale, great, buy it and feel free to share with others why. Equally, if you don't want it, fine, don't buy it and feel free to share with others why.

But arguing over why your opinion is the right opinion - like it's fact and all other opinions are nonsense - is pretentious bollocks.

Be nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

To a degree I understand and agree with you but....
I feel sometimes that some people are treating VR as an extension to their existing gaming experience... and some people are treating it as a potential window to completely new experiences.
Now I agree that both of these views are valid and shouldn't be criticized... but the more people dismiss room-scale, the more likely it'll be dismissed by developers and the less likely we'll have those completely new experiences.

The other point as that a sitting experience is more likely to be a 180 degree experience, whereas room-scale is more likely to encompass a 360 experience by its very nature, it won't necessarily need room to move... it could be just standing.

These are the reasons I keep promoting it.. hopefully not in a pretentious or bollocks-talking way ๐Ÿ™‚


I have just about enough room in my man cave to turn around (if I move the chair out of the way!), so I'm all for a standing/360 degree experience ๐Ÿ™‚

VizionVR
Level 8
"notsram" wrote:
I'd love to be able to at least try room scale, but my PC room/man cave is roughly 6 ft x 4ft and that's way too small for anything other than a stationary experience.

If/when I win the lottery or move, I'll be sampling room scale like a shot, but until then, much though I'd love it, it's not for me.


That's around 1.5 x 2 meters, the exact spec for minimum room scale that most devs are targetting. You'd be fine.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Nedo
Level 3
For people living in a small Cage, get a Virtuix Omni ! :lol:
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

notsram
Level 9
"vizionvr" wrote:
"notsram" wrote:
I'd love to be able to at least try room scale, but my PC room/man cave is roughly 6 ft x 4ft and that's way too small for anything other than a stationary experience.

If/when I win the lottery or move, I'll be sampling room scale like a shot, but until then, much though I'd love it, it's not for me.


That's around 1.5 x 2 meters, the exact spec for minimum room scale that most devs are targetting. You'd be fine.


That's free space though. The space I have sadly contains boring items such as desk, chair, guitar stand plus amp, full size synth (propped against a wall cos there's not space to keep it set up) and a pedestal unit stuffed to the gills with PC/music bits and pieces.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"notsram" wrote:
I have just about enough room in my man cave to turn around (if I move the chair out of the way!), so I'm all for a standing/360 degree experience ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm pretty sure my cave is about the same size as yours, so for the time being a standing 360 experience is the best I can do.
I'm thinking of changing the bed in the guest bedroom to a fold-up though... and having a ceiling-mounted PC ๐Ÿ™‚

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)