cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift versus PSVR?

SD-777
Protege
I originally owned a Vive, loved it but realized there were no games for it, only expensive tech demos.  I did purchase Vanishing Realms and thought it was incredible, that was about the most polished game on there IMO.  I also played some of the space shooters which were OK.  Some of the other stuff was awesome, but just a demo like unseen diplomacy, etc.  Anyhow I had an issue with a light station and experienced the most horrendous tech support from HTC and decided to return the Vive.

Fast forward several months later and feeling bored I grabbed an Oculus from BB to play around with.  Being convinced the Vive was the better unit, I now did an about face and completely changed my mind, the Rift is lighter, has the earphones built in, is more comfortable, has a sharper image, is MUCH more mobile with just one small wire, and has at least some blockbuster games.  In particular I was completely floored by Chronos, well worth the asking price.  Edge of Nowhere was very very  nice as well.  I would consider both of these as somewhat blockbuster games with real companies developing them with a budget and a price to match.  Unfortunately I don't see many more of these out there.  Some of the shooters look ok, Eve Valkyrie is nice to look at but there is very little content, for example.

Another consideration I've had lately is the PSVR.  Every review site raves about how many games it has, but on closer inspection I don't think there is a single blockbuster type game being released with it.  The Batman game is really just a small tech demo which is very short and has no fighting, I think that's about the closest they come.  I've also read the light controllers really are terrible, and the camera tracking isn't that great.  BUT... from what I understand they sold 2.5million or so of the PSVR's, where the Vive sold 140k, and the Oculus couldn't have sold much more.  So if devs were going to follow the money it seems like they would flock to the PSVR.  So that's my fear, I've pre ordered the touch controllers but don't want to have $800 worth of useless equipment sitting on my desk.  Facebook can sink all the money in the world into Oculus, but if they don't see headsets then the devs won't come.  Which is a shame because the Oculus is by far the best of the lot, and I can't wait to get my touch controllers.

But what about the blockbusters?  What about Fallout 5, GTA 6, Crysis, Battlefield, Dark Souls, Resident Evil etc etc?  They may  not get any VR support at all, but if they do it seems like the PS4 would rope them in because of sheer numbers.  Would a major developer really spend all that time and money to develop something for 300k possible buyers?  Or maybe once the game is done, it's not that much work just to add the  VR to it and I'm overthinking it.

Anyway just food for thought as I consider the future and whether I should keep my Rift, or think about a PSVR.
22 REPLIES 22

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Well.. 
We discussed this many times already, so no wall of text from me this time 😉
In short: If you have the money, the most you can do to overcome the insufficient amount of AAA VR games, is to buy all of the HMDs. Sony will get games that won't appear on the PC VR.
Wait for PS4pro, try it out, decide if you can accept the quality of visuals and inferior controllers (Move + PSeye is basically a tech that's half a decade old) and then buy it.

BTW. Tech support for Vive? So it's HTC not Valve who takes care of it? So no matter how bad it was, be glad, because if it was Valve...
you know... the company behind Steam. I don't think I ever saw worst tech support than Steam. It's like they send farts in a box instead of actual replies. The Steam as a whole is so badly coded/managed that it's already a target good enough to write a comedy sketch about it, but it is not until you write a support ticket to Steam when you realize you just stepped in something smelly.
You either get no answer, or an automated answer from a bot, suggesting you to do things you already wrote about when you wrote what you already tried, or... they hire trolls to create responses as blatant, offending and useless, as they can. One time I've sent a support ticket about well-known, world wide occuring bug in Steam services. They replied that it is an issue on my side. I've sent them a screenshot of 2 twitch streamers with 300-400 000 viewers each, when the same thing happened to them while they were live. I didn't get another response since then. Not even "sorry for the troubles". Another time my whole inventory disappeared, despite trade history clearly showing that I didn't trade anything. Same with market history, no items sold. I got a reply... that I was either scammed or traded away the items. So, no "sorry", no help, not even info about when they fix the bug, and on top of that - they clearly didn't even read what I wrote, because even when you get scammed, you see it in trade history. My inventory got back to normal two days later. I just described 1-2% of what I witnessed in last year. Steam has issues which you can google and find out that they are there since 3-4 years and still aren't getting fixed. Valve doesn't give a shit.

It is sad when people look up to Valve as if it was the company that fights for the better world of PC gaming. I hate Steam. I only use it because uPlay and Origin somehow manage to be even worse. I hope GOG.COM will become "big" one day...
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
2.5 million psvr sales citation needed.

I would say RIGS psvr is the most polished game on the system and just feels like where the bar should be for VR games including those on the Rift and Vive. Battlezone is also very good especially 4 player coop.

I have Until Dawn unopened but only played the demo and this was great as well. Brookhaven plays the same as the vive version.

Thumper is sweet and Rez comes to life in VR. 

There's some cool games on psvr with more coming like Robinson and RE 7. Ace Combat . Gran Tourismo. Tekken 7.

Psvr will have timed exclusives. Re7 has 1 year exclusivity.

Fallout VR is coming next year on Vive. Not sure if this is Rift compatible.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

SD-777
Protege

I would say RIGS psvr is the most polished game on the system and just feels like where the bar should be for VR games including those on the Rift and Vive. Battlezone is also very good especially 4 player coop.

I have Until Dawn unopened but only played the demo and this was great as well. Brookhaven plays the same as the vive version.

There's some cool games on psvr with more coming like Robinson and RE 7. Ace Combat . Gran Tourismo. Tekken 7.

Sorry, the 2.6 million is just analyst forecasting, not actually sold.  That forecast is by the end of 2016.  Even if they are only 50% right, that's still substantially more than the Rift/Vive combined.  I don't know  how tough it is to develop for the rift AND the vive so I don't know if it makes sense to split their market into 2 halves, making it that much less feasible for devs.  once again just projections, nothing etched in stone.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I played Brookhaven on the Vive and it seemed awesome, but very lacking in content.  But this was months ago so I would hope it's nicer.  Robinson and RE7 both look amazing, but that 1 year wait for PC kind of hurts.

Man I really love the Rift for the very few good games that it has, but I'm really veering towards grabbing a PS4 pro and a PSVR.  I may have to hit a BB this weekend to get some more time on the demo.  Most reviews and comparisons I'm reading say that there isn't that much difference in quality, and what difference there is can be acceptable because of the VR experience coming first. 

edmg
Trustee

Since the Vive uses SteamVR, about the only way to make a Vive game not work on Rift+Touch is to specifically check for a Rift and refuse to run. For all the talk about not supporting the Rift, I'm guessing Bethesda don't want to look like total asshats. They have more to lose from not supporting it than Oculus do.

Zandil
Rising Star

edmg said:

Since the Vive uses SteamVR, about the only way to make a Vive game not work on Rift+Touch is to specifically check for a Rift and refuse to run. For all the talk about not supporting the Rift, I'm guessing Bethesda don't want to look like total asshats. They have more to lose from not supporting it than Oculus do.

If it runs on SteamVR, it will run on the Rift ( how well is what remains to be seen ). They aren't officially supporting the Rift due to the Lawsuit between Oculus and Bethesda would be my guess.

CrashFu
Consultant
@edmg  and @Zandil -   If the developers don't specifically set the game up for Rift + Touch support, won't somebody have to patch in support?  Even if games can't tell the difference between the headsets' tracking, I doubt the inputs from the Vivemotes and the inputs from Touch match up in any way that would make them inherently interchangeable.

Most likely, we're going to need our own version of "revive" for the Rift, to play Vive exclusives.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The horror Crashfu...the horror.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

logotomie
Expert Protege
I had the chance to play with PSVR last weekend. I was genuinely impressed. First the good: in DK2 i easily see individual subpixels. CV1 is on the fringe, I can sometimes see them, most of the time i just see that there is a pattern. PSVR does not show any signs of screendoor. Solid colors have a slight paperlike texture but thats it. Rendering resolution seemed not very high, but i was able to overlook that way quicker as with CV1. Optics was also good and tracking of the head ok.(i had a slight feeling of lag with fast movements of the head but that might have been the headset not sitting tight enough.) Sony imho did a lot right here.
Tracking of the hands is bad. In Batman i was certainly able to do anything necessary, but inspecting the collectibles was no fun. Just could not hold the small statues still enough. I do think that might be fixable with an updated firmware. What broke the immersion here for me though was that picked up objects just have no weight. I did not expect that to be such a big issue. I just cant see me running around with a gun that has no weight and enjoy that. I still think more abstract (controller) control schemes will work better for me (lets see what developers do with touch)

Batman is more than a demo. it is an albeit short but full game. It shares with other batman games the name and artwork only though, it is a point and click adventure in essence. It certainly is the first game with AAA class graphics though and boy did i enjoy that. (i do own chronos, eve, adrift)
I will buy PSVR and Batman too. I will now split my money between oculus and sony. Both seem to have something to bring to the table imho.
But the regular blockbuster you list i do not expect to get vr releases. vr will need its own blockbusters and dedicated development

SpineDoc said:

Sorry, the 2.6 million is just analyst forecasting, not actually sold.  That forecast is by the end of 2016.  Even if they are only 50% right, that's still substantially more than the Rift/Vive combined.  I don't know  how tough it is to develop for the rift AND the vive so I don't know if it makes sense to split their market into 2 halves, making it that much less feasible for devs.  once again just projections, nothing etched in stone.

Do you have figures for that - i'd be interested.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3