cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Controller losing tracking

whoa182
Level 8
I've started to notice my right touch controller losing tracking. I'm not sure what triggers it exactly, but jumping into dead and buried might be one of them (or could be coincidence). 

The only way I can solve the issue is to restart Oculus home or take the battery out of the controller and put it back in.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X RAM: 16 GB Corsair GFX: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super SSD: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO HMD: Rift CV1 & Quest 2.
56 REPLIES 56

Applecorp
Level 8
I noticed a lot of recurring errors in my logs too. No idea how common or serious/trivial they are but "camera possibly in a bad state" doesn't sound good to me.

Image did not pass the sanity test!  Throwing it away (camera possibly in a bad state)

Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed. Cannot use DXGI 2 path successfully.

[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

Wireless sync timed out.

WaitForFrame wait timeout

Failed to get string descriptor from hub.  Error: 31

Cannot serialize non-finite value

Applecorp
Level 8
Right, put my sensors back to the recommended front facing setup (wall mounted) and although over the recommended 6 feet apart (somewhere around 7-8 feet) Everything works absolutely fine, rock solid Touch controller positioning too, no floating hands or anything.

So yeah, it just didn't like my 360 experimental setup (sensors about 12-13 feet apart). I mean it was fairly payable to some degree but I hated the glitchiness of it.

Definitely requires a third sensor in a large room. I can't do two sensors in my room as the corners are just too far apart. Don't want to ceiling mount either, looks horrible.

Third sensor it is then but even then that may introduce new problems.

Still not happy with the loud clicky Touch trigger though.

YoLolo69
Level 10

elboffor said:

YoLolo69 said:

It happened to me with left controller in Medium last night, but shaking immediately my hand stopped the weird movement and fixed the problem for the rest of my sessions.

So what you are saying is, physical movement stopped the tracking issues?

This is sounding more and more like my tinfoil hat theory is turning out to be correct!

@YoLolo69 can you confirm whether or not your left corner trolleys trigger clicks when fully depressed and the dampening to stop it hitting no longer exists?

Nope no, sorry this the misunderstanding : I don't have any problem with my buttons (dampening etc.), and the way I fixed the hand losing tracking is by moving it, like if you had glue on your hand and shake to make it fall. The goal was to "bring attention" of sensors, not to shake it to fix some wired problem inside I don't have (yet?)....Mmmm I'm not clear (bad english) : I mean I moved my hand up and away quickly and get it back and Sensor catched it again so it was fixed. More a camera problem which lost it, nothing inside the Touch. I hope this is clear.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

elboffor
Level 12
Wall Mount them dude. Can be done daily cheaply and not too obtrusive (I pin my cables to the coving with blu tac of all things)
hl5wwuzpxec7.jpg
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Applecorp
Level 8
I do have them wall mounted, says in my post above.   😛

I said that to get the sensors closer together (for 360 experimental) I'd have to mount them on the ceiling and I don't want to do that.

elboffor
Level 12

YoLolo69 said:

Nope no, sorry this the misunderstanding : I don't have any problem with my buttons (dampening etc.), and the way I fixed the hand losing tracking is by moving it, like if you had glue on your hand and shake to make it fall. The goal was to "bring attention" of sensors, not to shake it to fix some wired problem inside I don't have (yet?)....Mmmm I'm not clear (bad english) : I mean I moved my hand up and away quickly and get it back and Sensor cached it again so it was fixed. More a camera problem which lost it, nothing inside the Touch. I hope this is clear.

That's good news. I really do t want my tinfoil hat theory to be correct. Sounds like a sensor sleep isses to me, have you checked you power settings in device manager since your last reboot? They seem to have a habit of changing back. Also it may have been a one off glitch  (I've had them too from time to time, had them on my mates vive also)

elboffor
Level 12

Applecorp said:

I do have them wall mounted, says in my post above.   😛

I said that to get the sensors closer together (for 360 experimental) I'd have to mount them on the ceiling and I don't want to do that.

Doh
<\quietlyLeavesTheRoom>

kevink808
Level 9
Are you guys with these problems only using 2 cams? I'm using 3 cams in a square space.  Wall-mounted 6 ft high.  Front left corner, front right corner, rear left corner.  10 ft apart between cam 1 and cam 2.  10 ft apart from cam 1 and cam 3.  14 ft apart from cam 2 and cam 3.  I have full tracking from ceiling to floor (9 feet vertical).  I'm wondering if these tracking issues are defective products or extremely finicky setup requirements?  My setup is outside of their "recommended" configurations, yet it seems to work good.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

whoa182
Level 8
I had right controller issues with 2 cameras (after 30 - 60 minutes or so), and 3 cameras. With 3 cameras I have an added problem of jumping when turning around, as if the jump is caused by handing off to the rear sensor.. 

I understand this is 1st generation, we're early adopters, and there's gonna be some hiccups.. but geez.  😛 The average person isn't gonna want to be dealing with micro-adjusting everything and troubleshooting like this to achieve good tracking.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X RAM: 16 GB Corsair GFX: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super SSD: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO HMD: Rift CV1 & Quest 2.

Applecorp
Level 8
Yeah I've only got two sensors, my 360 diagonal setup (12 feet apart) is really sketchy as far as hand tracking goes so for the time being I've put it back to wall mounted front facing (7 feet apart) and works perfectly, obviously not for room scale though. 

I'm going to buy a third sensor asap.