cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripping a 3D Blu Ray for Rift playback

VizionVR
Rising Star
I'm at the end of my rope and need help from the VR community.
Has anyone figured out how to rip a 3D Blu Ray for the Rift? The only 3D rip that worked was an MKV I found on a pirate site, so I know it can be done. It played perfectly using LiveViewRift.

I have a legit licensed version of MakeMKV, but when I rip a disc it's not in 3D. What am I doing wrong?
I also tried to play direct from the Blu Ray, but PowerDVD (also legit purchase) says that the Rift isn't a supported playback device.

Help! :!:
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
25 REPLIES 25

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've used DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper (3D Plus) before, and it works well. Full version costs money, but you can test the trial just to see if it works (it will have a watermark but otherwise is functional). This was years ago when I wanted to play movies on my Zalman monitor. I haven't tried recently, but I imagine it still works. Just looking at options, Acrok Video Converter Ultimate looks pretty good as well. Though I've never tried it so who knows? Both are around $60.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

VizionVR
Rising Star
Thanks, I'll give DVDFab a try. Is LiveViewRift still a good app for watching 3D rips? There was a lot of fiddling around with it. Is there anything that requires less fiddle? 🙂

VizionVR
Rising Star
Update-
Tested DVDfab. It doesn't work with protected content. Yes, I know I can use another bit of software to get past this but that adds considerable time to the process.
I think I found the easiest 3D BD ripper on the market. Pavtube BDMagic can convert directly from disc to side-by-side, top-bottom, or anaglyph stereo. I'm still experimenting with the output settings for best Rift 3D.
To be continued...

raidx
Protege
AnyDVD to bypass the protection

VizionVR
Rising Star
"raidx" wrote:
AnyDVD to bypass the protection

True, but BDMagic bypasses protection AND rips 3D content, no need for multiple programs. So far it's working well. I've tested MKV, AVI, and MOV 3D output. Playing in LiveViewRift. I think I'll try MaxVR as a player, but I don't think it supports .MOV files.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah BDMagic was the one I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the name. Glad you figured it out.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jordandavid513
Honored Guest
I've had bee the pleasure of using EaseFab Blu-ray Ripper these past monts. It owns the ability to rip the 3D Blu-ray to sbs 3d mp4 videos for viewing on my Oculus Rift Dk2. Anyone who are intereted in that should give a try.

Lhun
Explorer
imho do sbs if the video is cinemawide and top-bottom if it's 16x9, the result has more pixels.

if you're a developer you might want to consider this:

http://corecodec.com/products/coremvc

allows for full resolution 3d support without stereoscopic tricks but I don't think any VR media players have it integrated yet.

Gloriaivy
Honored Guest
Oculus Rift DK2 does not included a drive for playing 3D Blu-ray movies. I have tried BDMagic and find it can successfully copy the most popular 3D Blu-ray for Rift DK2. So excited! So perfect application!