cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRecall teleport orientation bug

Maxito
Protege
So this game is pretty sweet but I noticed a pretty critical bug (or undesirable feature) right away. When you teleport, the direction you pick to face corresponds to the direction of your front 2 sensors. This is good for people with only 2 sensors because you want to always be facing them, but I have 4 sensors. This means that if I'm facing any other direction when I teleport the direction I set my teleport to face after teleportation is not the actual direction I will be facing after the teleport. Very disorienting. Anyone else notice this?
27 REPLIES 27

falken76
Expert Consultant
I got used to the teleport, it was a little distracting at first because I wouldn't be facing the enemy when I would teleport by them.  It's still a little difficult to get the right orientation when you're trying to move around quickly.  I don't know how you'd teleport up to high spaces or on top of vehicles with free locomotion, especially since some areas don't have access points to climb.  Can you actually die in this game?  I found the game to be very very fun, but soon I realized I wasn't getting killed, the screen would turn red showing I was taking damage, but I never died.  If it turns out we can't die, this game will get boring to me the instant I find that out. 

If they do give everyone Free Locomotion, I would love to see modders make Action Quake and Weapons Factory mods for this, with the appropriate skins of course....

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm pretty sure Call of the Starseed and DWVR (both of which I own) have a Teleport system that works the same way. I wouldn't call this a bug at all,  it is simply a learning curve for remembering that when you teleport your Pointer will always face the the sensors. If you are not facing your sensors, then you won't be facing the direction of the Pointer.

Teleport direction is two-fold and sensor dependent. There are ways to easily adjust yourself even if you are physically turning constantly in a 360 manner. But to execute these moves flawlessly you have to always be aware of your in-game surroundings in order to realize where the "front" resides. You do not have to pay attention to your physical room, just the virtual environment.

For example, if you are looking down an alleyway and then teleport in front of a car (the teleport Pointer is facing the car), but then end up facing the direction you just came from with the car behind you... that means you are standing "backwards" in your room. The Pointer is facing the car, but you are facing away from your sensors, and the pointer loves the sensors.

Turn around to face the car... and now you are facing your sensors again.

Any time you teleport and end up facing a direction other than where your Pointer indicated, it is because you are facing away from your sensors. But as long as you paid attention to where you were planning to end up, you can quickly adjust your position.

After that, the game becomes fun an addicting. I teleport all over the place without a care in the world where my sensors are located. I can see where my pointer tells me I "should end up if I'm facing my sensors," but my mind can adjust quickly if I'm facing another direction.

Another example: if I see a robot and I teleport in front of him hoping to punch his face, but then when the teleport happens I end up facing the wall that was to the robots Left side, I either turn my head left and punch his face (because now the robot is to my left), or I just blindly throw out my left fist to hit him without looking:

All that being said, I can see the benefit of having the dependency removed from the sensors and given to the HMD. That would just take another few minutes of learning curve before getting back to the action.

For now though, as long as you play this game with focus of your VR surroundings like this:

And just avoid teleporting like this:

... then you should be fine 🙂

EDIT:

Someone reported that a Mod to make the Pointer dependent upon the HMD:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x460g/robo_recall_360_teleportation_mod_now_available/

But it may only work when playing other Mods, not the main game (for now).

YoLolo69
Trustee
I have 3 sensors but like to keep track where I'm facing and like to stay front facing, so the logo under my shoes in the game is a pretty good idea and allow me to quickly know where I'm facing and where I'll land after teleportation. So if they implement a change around this I would like they don't rely on number of sensors, more with an option.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

SuperTuck
Expert Protege
The mod works it just disables leaderboards, progression, and acheivements.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Got to try the game last night and I did find this confusing as well, since I was expecting Arizona Sunshine style controls. However, the market it still early and developers should be trying new things. I don't think the ultimate control method has been found yet, so we should be willing to try to learn different techniques to see which one really is best.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they want to to be facing the front sensors all the time, they shouldn't put the robots and other game characters all around you. I don't have a 360 degree swivel spine so have to turn my body.

you are right, and i teleport again a little ahaed and adjust teleport beam to face behind me, that was what i meant by saying  teleport as much as you can..If your body turns after you teleport and you teleport again changing direction, there we  have our issue..

I am pretty sure they will add front facing and 360 teleport options seperately, and free locomotion eventually 😄

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
@Zenbane Great explanation of how to teleport :lol:

cybereality
Grand Champion
https://uploadvr.com/modders-already-changed-robo-recall-fit-360-gameplay/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV