cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room scale boundaries with touch?

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I read somewhere that we will be able to set up room scale with boundaries, that will give attention to that we are about to leave the play area, or getting close to a wall.

Will this be triggered by the headset or the touch controllers?
I will have a some what restricted space, and if it triggers by the headset I will have to make my room scale quite small, so that I woun't smack my touch controllers into a stone wall.  😉
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
8 REPLIES 8

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
hopefully triggered by the contollers after all ya arms should be wider than ya head??:)

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
With the Vive it's triggered with the headset, but you draw out your boundary with the wand.  I'd imagine it's going to be the same/similar with the Rift.   You'd probably start seeing the boundary within an arms reach, if not you could just take that into consideration when drawing out your boundary.  In any case, there will be ways to avoid smashing your hands through things.  

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's triggered by anything leaving the play area (headset or controller). 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
Yeah the boundaries when triggered by the touch controllers will activate slowly/dimmer so as to be noticeable but not distracting. And when triggered by the headset will activate immediately and bright so it's very noticeable and is an adequate warning for the protection of your brain cranium human head thing area.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

It's triggered by anything leaving the play area (headset or controller). 

Yeah the boundaries when triggered by the touch controllers will activate slowly/dimmer so as to be noticeable but not distracting. And when triggered by the headset will activate immediately and bright so it's very noticeable and is an adequate warning for the protection of your brain cranium human head thing area.

Okay great, thanks!
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

ericfromabeno
Honored Guest
actually, I came on the forums today specifically to see if there were any discussions about roomscale, because I do find it very distracting, and I would appreciate some feedback/advice on how to set it up to not be so bad.... specifically, the way they tell you to set it up excludes any seating.... (because I guess if seating is included inside a roomscale, you'd always have to try to be aware of it so as not to bump into it...) BUT, plenty of the things I do in VR are seated experiences, which means by definition I'm sitting OUTSIDE the roomscale area, and the "walls" are always on. they are on very bright, and they totally ruin the immersion. I was hoping there was a way to set the roomscale experience so that only the "wall" you're closest to lights up... While sitting, this would mean it's only the one behind me, and I would not generally notice it too much... alternately, a way to shut off roomscale for seated games?? any advice?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@ericfromabeno you can turn off the guardian boundaries from the oculus home quick menu (press the oculus button on the touch controller.) 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, that's what I do. In fact now that I've gotten used to where my play space is by looking down the nose gap I keep it turned off now. :smiley: