cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUPPORT: Oculus Black Screen / Display Shuts Off

oGhosti
Explorer
So, I have had MANY issues with this Oculus non-sense.
First it was the sensors shutting off randomly, the controllers not tracking correctly, and a whole other heap of issues out-of-box.

I've only had it for maybe a month or more now, and I've solved most of my issues, all but one.
As the title says, the screen shuts off randomly mid-session and MOST of the time never turns back on until I unplug the HDMI cable, or wiggle the (Very poorly designed) cable in the headset a little bit. I've popped off the face cover and did all that non-sense..

I've ordered a DVI-HDMI adapter, should be here within a weeks time. This supposedly fixes it. (So have a other things apparently..)

Are there ANY other solutions you guys may know?

I love Oculus and VR a lot.. but these major problems need to be fixed, seriously. It's ridiculous at this point. I've had nothing but problems since day 1.
One other bug I've seen that is very serious for people who may have epilepsy or are easily prone seizures : Sometimes (recently) the Oculus screen shuts off, then if I fix it via pushing in the cord or something it comes back on and then the stupid (Unnecessary) Oculus Home pops up flashing incredibly fast and so suddenly. It gave me a headache within seconds. Just to let you developers know..

Is there a way to disable Oculus Home if I want to just play Steam VR games???

Thanks.

I realized that I've put this in the wrong section. lol
7 REPLIES 7

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Sounds like you have a defect cable. Have you twisted it alot yourself the way you are handling the hmd ?
Anyhow, check with Oculus to see if you are entitled to a new cable.

Also, I have never encountered the flashing you are talking about. Guessing now, but could that be a faulty cable as well ?
 Anyone knows ?

Now, the Oculus app will open everytime you play any VR related software/games as it´s the software for the HMD.
 Just ignore it or minimize it 🙂

EDIT: Just read your audio thread. If you have USB port´s that doesn´t get the power needed as somewhat described there, im guessing that could also somewhat be what causes the flashing. Again im guessing, haven´t had that issue myself.
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable

oGhosti said:

Is there a way to disable Oculus Home if I want to just play Steam VR games???

Set Oculus Home to " Run as Administrator".
Then it will only launch when you launch the desktop shortcut.

It is under Oculus/Support/Oculus-Client.  
Set OculusClient.exe to Run this program as Administrator.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

dburne said:

Oh, so it´s not needed. What have I misunderstood ?
 So it´s only the OVR service launcher that one need to run oculus software ?
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable

KlodsBrik said:

dburne said:

Oh, so it´s not needed. What have I misunderstood ?
 So it´s only the OVR service launcher that one need to run oculus software ?

Yep. I myself prefer to launch my Oculus games from within Oculus Home. I have used this method though for launching Steam VR game. Only thing is for me at least, I like to use the Oculus Tray Tool to set profile for my games, and currently the OTT is dependent on Oculus Home running for the settings in the profile to apply.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Thanks, didn´t know that .. Will play around with it later ..
 Yeah, I use TT myself... Might be why I thought otherwise.
Be good, die great !

TinyMito
Expert Protege
Ah ... nvm... please ignore my post.
Specification for troubleshooting
PC: Win 11, 10600K + 3080FE, 4K 144Hz (On 1Gbps Ethernet)
VR: Oculus CV1 (retired), Quest 2 (AirLink for PCVR)
Accessories: Unifi Dream Machine 5Ghz 4x4 MIMO, Oculus Link Cable, Quest 2 Elite Strap
App (Experimental ON): Oculus App (v40), Quest 2 (v39)

oGhosti
Explorer

KlodsBrik said:

Sounds like you have a defect cable. Have you twisted it alot yourself the way you are handling the hmd ?
Anyhow, check with Oculus to see if you are entitled to a new cable.

Also, I have never encountered the flashing you are talking about. Guessing now, but could that be a faulty cable as well ?
 Anyone knows ?

Now, the Oculus app will open everytime you play any VR related software/games as it´s the software for the HMD.
 Just ignore it or minimize it 🙂

EDIT: Just read your audio thread. If you have USB port´s that doesn´t get the power needed as somewhat described there, im guessing that could also somewhat be what causes the flashing. Again im guessing, haven´t had that issue myself.

I've barely had the thing for it to be defected. I can play stupid VRChat for hours on end without a single issue appearing. It's not my cable, it's not my hardware. It's Oculus' software. They already know this is a major issue, and have yet to fix it.. At least they fixed that Service Error within a day or 2..

Ignoring or minimizing is not even possible? You can't Minimize the Oculus home inside the headset.
Let alone it's a major bug... when "fixing" the black screen, it's not REALLY up, it's just the oculus screen WANTS to be up or something retarded, and it flashes crazy fast. I see the Oculus menu screen where I can go to my Library or other things. (That is what is flashing in front of the game, and could be a HUGE Seizure hazard.)

Please refrain from posting things like this. It's the software, not my PC or the Oculus headset, or the wiring. I JUST got and have barely even breathed on the thing, let alone yank the cords, bang it around or drop it/ etc..