djack77
Honored Guest
http://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/
i5 Haswell @ 4.4Ghz Twin Frozr 780Ti RoG Maximus Vii Avexir Blitz C9 2133MHz
175 REPLIES 175

Lagahan
Explorer
"djack77" wrote:
Some more info.. Its kinda cool that the phone snaps into the casing kinda like google cardboard.

http://gizmodo.com/samsungs-answer-to-the-oculus-rift-is-a-phone-powered-v-1629923041

"The +100 jump in PPI makes for a screen that looks fantastically high quality—the best VR screen I've laid eyes on so far—but it's not quite perfect yet. There's still a very noticeable "screen door effect" where you can see edges of black around the pixels. It's not damning or anything, but it's still very noticeable, just about as noticeable as it is on the Oculus Rift DK2."

SDE still apparent at 1440p, interesting though not surprising.
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
High res pictures at the samsung site (download them for large ones)

http://samsungmobilepress.com/2014/09/03/Gear-VR-1

Interesting of course to note the 'powered by oculus' and NO FACEBOOK logos anywhere! Phew*

*for now...
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"Lagahan" wrote:
"djack77" wrote:
Some more info.. Its kinda cool that the phone snaps into the casing kinda like google cardboard.

http://gizmodo.com/samsungs-answer-to-the-oculus-rift-is-a-phone-powered-v-1629923041

"The +100 jump in PPI makes for a screen that looks fantastically high quality—the best VR screen I've laid eyes on so far—but it's not quite perfect yet. There's still a very noticeable "screen door effect" where you can see edges of black around the pixels. It's not damning or anything, but it's still very noticeable, just about as noticeable as it is on the Oculus Rift DK2."

SDE still apparent at 1440p, interesting though not surprising.

Yes, but they may still be going custom screen with CV1 (I think they would personally esp if it's gonna be LATE next year when it's released!). And maybe even with that res they have some tricks to lessen SDE, pure wishful thinking on my part but you never know 🙂

This is obviously a bonus/enticer to buy note 4s and to intro people to VR. I'm not sure it implies they will use the note 4 screen for CV1 (esp if they can only manage 96 degress FOV)

Click on samsung's specs page to see the bundled stuff in detail.. including:

Marvel's Avengers; Age of Ultron offers Samsung Gear VR users to have exclusive access to Tony Stark's Lab inside the all new Avengers Tower.

nice! :mrgreen:

djack77
Honored Guest
I still think they will develop a custom screen for the CV1, agree this is to gather momentum and interest in VR for a mainstream release!
i5 Haswell @ 4.4Ghz Twin Frozr 780Ti RoG Maximus Vii Avexir Blitz C9 2133MHz

Cactusblah
Honored Guest
We need a wider custom screen for CV1 for greater FOV. That's all I ask for.

Lagahan
Explorer
"Sharpfish" wrote:

Yes, but they may still be going custom screen with CV1 (I think they would personally esp if it's gonna be LATE next year when it's released!). And maybe even with that res they have some tricks to lessen SDE, pure wishful thinking on my part but you never know 🙂

This is obviously a bonus/enticer to buy note 4s and to intro people to VR. I'm not sure it implies they will use the note 4 screen for CV1 (esp if they can only manage 96 degress FOV)

Yep, will definitely be a custom screen from Samsung for sure!
Also worth thinking about is the Note Edge's curved screen - maybe OVR can leverage some slight concavity in the screen to help alleviate chromatic aberration from the lenses and thus enable a larger screen with higher FOV too?
AFAIK chromatic aberration is one of the main things holding back larger FOV.
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"kojack" wrote:
It's odd they didn't leave a hole for the note 4's camera to work, even a single camera view duplicated and distorted could be handy for looking around without taking the headset off. Maybe a little picture in picture panel floating in the air near you to keep an eye on things.

It says on the Samsung page

Camera (Pass-Through) - High Frame Rate Preview (60fps)
Audio -3D Spatial Sound on Samsung VR Player for VR Gallery contents (Earphone needed)

So I assume that means it does do this?? 'pass through'? Would be silly not to.

Just hope those who buy this don't feel they have nothing to justify upgrading to a 'full rift' in time. If they can get a lot of the cool things from their phone and this (VR cinema is a definite tempter for the masses) then those who may have bought a 'Power Rift' may have less reasons to (and then not go on to discover the real full potential of powerful VR in games etc).

Better that Oculus is involved than Samsung going it alone anyway, as it should keep quality high and feed back into the oculus VR pool I guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now that's out of the way lets hope they get back onto sorting the issues with the SDK and the Oculus Configuration Utility for DK2.

Someguitarist
Explorer
As someone who just paid off his Note 3 and didn't plan to upgrade to a 4.... damnit.

But hey! Never have I been more terrified of scratching my cell phone screen!

I wonder what effect screen protectors/diffusers would have on it...

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"V8Griff" wrote:
Now that's out of the way lets hope they get back onto sorting the issues with the SDK and the Oculus Configuration Utility for DK2.

I admit, when I read about Carmack using all this time to work on android and this device, I thought of plenty of reasons behind the buggy release of the SDK. So I'm with you on that.

They claim they won't let it make them lose focus on the 'real' rift, so now is the time to show it Oculus. For a start how about giving us the polished VR CInema for DK2? :lol: (and before anyone says 'dev kit' - so is gear vr and that has it now)