Samsung Gear VR Powered by Oculus

djack77
Honored Guest
http://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/
i5 Haswell @ 4.4Ghz Twin Frozr 780Ti RoG Maximus Vii Avexir Blitz C9 2133MHz
175 REPLIES 175

kinsanglee
Honored Guest
How could they get rid of performance problem?
As far as I am concerned, the game is expected to maintain high FPS(45+) for better user experience.
Beyond doubt, note 4 got state of the art mobile CPU installed.
But when snapdragon 805 compare to desktop CPU/display chipset,
even an entry-level notebook CPU+build-in display chipset can beat snapdragon 805 easily (180%-200%performance)
ref:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7082/snapdragon-800-msm8974-performance-preview-qualcomm-mobile-develo...
===
As an unity game developer(mobile+desktop),
I am curious,
how could I deal with low performance problem. Importing high poly, high res texture are apparently important to pull users into virtual reality.
Order info: Date: 9/Jul Status:received26/Sep Ordered from: Hong Kong Payment: approved

Disdroid
Honored Guest
"kaetemi" wrote:
"Disdroid" wrote:
Though they didn't say anything about the refresh rate, I doubt that it'll come close to the 75-90hz we're pursuing with the CV1.

They said sub-20ms frametime, which basically means anywhere between 50-60Hz.

That... is actually very impressive for a phone. Again, If this is satisfying people left right and center, I have no doubts CV1 will be a massive success. (like I ever had doubts lol)

The biggest thing in this news for VR though is the partnership with a dozen respected entertainment companies (i saw marvel up there and shed a tear of joy) who will start to pump out amazing content.
We're about to get our mind blown folks.
People tend to believe what they want to be true.

Frito
Explorer
Amazing news !!!!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very excited for this. But what I don't get, is how this will deliver 1440p content at a decent framerate? I mean, people have 500-1k watt PCs that have giant GPUs and some games in 1080p still don't perform the best in VR, how is a tiny tablet gonna be able to push 1440p graphics? The content is going to have to be very basic visually. But in the end it's the mobility that is the trade off to graphic quality I guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"tranceology3" wrote:
Very excited for this. But what I don't get, is how this will deliver 1440p content at a decent framerate? I mean, people have 500-1k watt PCs that have giant GPUs and some games in 1080p still don't perform the best in VR, how is a tiny tablet gonna be able to push 1440p graphics? The content is going to have to be very basic visually. But in the end it's the mobility that is the trade off to graphic quality I guess.

I can do many old games more then 1000 fps 2D 1080p...Maybe they are not trying to run Elite Dangerous with Gear VR...just thinking here...

saviornt
Protege
Don't push for hyper-realistic graphics, instead, target more of a cartoonish type of graphics. Notice the games that were playing in the background were fairly simple graphically speaking. This is what is going to make VR huge imo; it's not going to be the driving sim or FPS, its going to be a small, simple to use game that everyone can sit down and enjoy.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

flyingwaffle
Honored Guest
"tranceology3" wrote:

Since the platform is fixed, the drivers can be optimized and they can use very low level access - Carmack also sounded like they rely on a robust time-warp implementation (extrapolation of previous rendered frame based on current head position) to address weaker framerates.
And of course the key is to scale the graphics.

melts
Honored Guest
I feel that this is the future of VR headsets. Oculus headsets for the desktop will never capture a large market with all of their wires, external cam attachments, and GPU requirements. Many VR experiences, such as 3D video, do not require powerful 3D graphics, and GPUs on smartphones will only keep getting better. Besides, you already have the gyroscope/accelerometer on the phone, together with a camera that can be programmed to do positional tracking. In addition, now you have built in sound, and much smaller latency due to lack of any connections to an external signal source.
Now the question is what does "Powered By Oculus" really mean and how much is it worth to Samsung?

kaetemi
Honored Guest
"Disdroid" wrote:
"kaetemi" wrote:

They said sub-20ms frametime, which basically means anywhere between 50-60Hz.

That... is actually very impressive for a phone.

I'm assuming they're hooking directly into the graphics driver at a low level and applying the time/warped filter right there asynchronously from the actual application level game frame render, which would make application-level frame skips less of a blocking issue, and provide extremely low latency; or something in that genre. Very likely there will be only SDK provided distortion rendering and no client distortion rendering for this application.

selkess
Honored Guest
This is the cv1 mobile