Samsung Gear VR Powered by Oculus

djack77
Honored Guest
http://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/
i5 Haswell @ 4.4Ghz Twin Frozr 780Ti RoG Maximus Vii Avexir Blitz C9 2133MHz
175 REPLIES 175

lucsasaki
Honored Guest
Depending on the price (around 200$ w/out the phone) I might get that!

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
Well, it kinda looks cool enough. Am still thinking.... :ugeek:

We want to emphasize that the mobile project doesn’t change our plans for the Rift or our commitment to (and love for) the PC. We’ll continue to push the boundaries of performance and presence on the Rift for PC, while making VR available to the widest audience possible entrance at the lowest barrier to entry by leveraging the strengths of mobile as a platform.

ok.

That cinema looks cool as fk - will probably be way more polished than the ones we've had from third parties. Wonder if we'll still get a DK2 update to the cinema app or have to wait for a CV1 bundle.

I can definitely see why people would be interested in easy, mobile, tether free VR. And hope eventually a CV rift will have wireless everything too.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

djack77
Honored Guest
It has a 5.7 inch (143.9mm) Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560 x 1440) Display with a FOV of 96˚

Concrete_Cactus
Protege
"djack77" wrote:
It has a 5.7 inch (143.9mm) Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560 x 1440) Display with a FOV of 96˚

This is a big indicator that this is the display that will be used for the CV1, depending on peoples thoughts on it. A neat way for oculus to release a 'DK3' without actually releasing one 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's odd they didn't leave a hole for the note 4's camera to work, even a single camera view duplicated and distorted could be handy for looking around without taking the headset off. Maybe a little picture in picture panel floating in the air near you to keep an eye on things.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"saxonrix" wrote:
"djack77" wrote:

This is a big indicator that this is the display that will be used for the CV1, depending on peoples thoughts on it. A neat way for oculus to release a 'DK3' without actually releasing one 🙂

If it has a port to plug into a PC and maybe an add on for postional tracking then maybe.

What I'm interested in mostly at this point are the Samsung ergonomics/build quality vs the DKs which are obviously not designed by an experienced hardware company. Did Carbon help Samsung? (doubt it?) and I'm hoping to soon catch at least a glimpse of a carbon designed CV1, even if just a render of what it may look like. Fingers crossed for Oculus Connect.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Lagahan
Explorer
This level of co-operation with Samsung poses some interesting thoughts about custom displays for CV1 😛
Maybe they will use this as a gauge of how much public interest there really is in VR? Lots of people upgrade their phones for no good reason so there will be a large install base of Note 4s with the possibility of using GearVR.

On a purely opinionated note I'm happy they're working with Samsung tbh, have never had trouble with hardware from them.
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

Paul33993
Honored Guest
"Sharpfish" wrote:
Well, it kinda looks cool enough. Am still thinking.... :ugeek:

We want to emphasize that the mobile project doesn’t change our plans for the Rift or our commitment to (and love for) the PC. We’ll continue to push the boundaries of performance and presence on the Rift for PC, while making VR available to the widest audience possible entrance at the lowest barrier to entry by leveraging the strengths of mobile as a platform.

ok.

That cinema looks cool as fk - will probably be way more polished than the ones we've had from third parties. Wonder if we'll still get a DK2 update to the cinema app or have to wait for a CV1 bundle.

I can definitely see why people would be interested in easy, mobile, tether free VR. And hope eventually a CV rift will have wireless everything too.

It does seem pretty neat. Especially after watching some youtube videos using Virtual Desktop. An optimized video player with a 1440p screen and no wires would be very cool for watching video.

djack77
Honored Guest
Some more info.. Its kinda cool that the phone snaps into the casing kinda like google cardboard.

http://gizmodo.com/samsungs-answer-to-the-oculus-rift-is-a-phone-powered-v-1629923041