cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung, Stanford make a 10,000PPI OLED display that could lead to 'flawless' VR

pyroth309
Visionary

This would be ideal for VR and AR, creating a virtually ‘flawless’
image where you can’t see the screen door effect or even individual
pixels. This might take years to arrive when it would require much more
computing power, but OLED tech would no longer be an obstacle.

It’s
also more practical than you might think. Samsung is already working on
a “full-size” display using the 10,000PPI tech, and the design of the
corrugations makes large-scale manufacturing viable. It may just be a
question of when and where you see this OLED rather than “if.”

OLED too. Explains why Samsung has been so Quiet about VR. I hope they're working on a tracking system superior to WMR too.
6 REPLIES 6

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
To read the article, users have to agree or manage privacy collection settings.

xg9r2t0m5h0s.png

I wonder if Engadget will receive the same backlash as Facebook and Oculus? Yeah, nah.

Anywho,

I would definitely purchase a Samsung VR HMD. Samsung made my favorite TV's (especially their Plasma line). So it is no surprise to see them focus on OLED. Samsung's dedication to rich colors and deep black levels is unrivaled. Excited to see the result!

bigmike20vt
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

This would be ideal for VR and AR, creating a virtually ‘flawless’
image where you can’t see the screen door effect or even individual
pixels. This might take years to arrive when it would require much more
computing power, but OLED tech would no longer be an obstacle.

It’s
also more practical than you might think. Samsung is already working on
a “full-size” display using the 10,000PPI tech, and the design of the
corrugations makes large-scale manufacturing viable. It may just be a
question of when and where you see this OLED rather than “if.”

OLED too. Explains why Samsung has been so Quiet about VR. I hope they're working on a tracking system superior to WMR too.

I wonder what their dead /stuck pixel policy will be on that?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
mass market utopia. but making it so high resolution means all at the same time, which affects yield rate accounting for manufacturing defects. which is why micro led tv's aren't coming to market too.

if we see micro led tv's in 8k then we can expect that technology to go into this technology in the article too. then its all good.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
So basically 10 times the ppi of the G2...which translates to nothing can presently run this...for the next 10 years... >:) Umm...wait...4 x 3090's might do it 😄

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So basically 10 times the ppi of the G2...which translates to nothing can presently run this...for the next 10 years

Nothing a little Pimax Math can't fix! 

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm sure some upscaling with AI should do the trick!