cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling gen 1 Rift - am I liable to be taxed?

ellab_
Honored Guest
Hello :smiley:

Been a lurker on here for a while now and have now decided to join. I will be selling my Rift DK1 and upgrading - not quite sure what to yet though. However, I received the DK1 as a gift so any money I get from it will be profit. I'm in the UK and make a fraction less than the first tax band (see this "link removed"). Will I be liable to pay tax on this?

My second question, I will have a £500 (ish) budget for the next headset - what's my best option? Happy to deviate a little from budget if the benefits are there.

Cheers! 😉
13 REPLIES 13

ellab_
Honored Guest
Hello :smiley:

Been a lurker on here for a while now and have now decided to join. I will be selling my Rift DK1 and upgrading - not quite sure what to yet though. However, I received the DK1 as a gift so any money I get from it will be profit. I'm in the UK and make a fraction less than the first tax band (see this "link removed"). Will I be liable to pay tax on this?

My second question, I will have a £500 (ish) budget for the next headset - what's my best option? Happy to deviate a little from budget if the benefits are there.

Cheers! 😉

Are you sure that wasn’t a subtle advertisement for that tax calculator website? and the corresponding equity release companies advertised within?

Was about to post that this is the worst question ever then scrolled down and saw your post DnD .  Makes sense now.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
You pay tax on 2nd hand goods in the UK? That sucks...

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a private sale of a second hand good, you won't need to pay any tax. And when you buy your Rift all taxes and delivery are included in the price if you get it from Oculus.

Anonymous
Not applicable
And you're better off keeping your DK1 if you have the box, cables etc and if it's in good condition. There were less than 60,000 of the things made and collectors will pay good money for one in 20-50 years time.

Luciferous
Consultant

Are you sure that wasn’t a subtle advertisement for that tax calculator website? and the corresponding equity release companies advertised within?

I would be amazed if anybody over the age of 10 would believe you need to pay TAX on second hand goods in the UK. hmmm. The price for the rift is clearly marked on the website, so I think you may be onto something DaftnDirect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be amazed if anybody over the age of 10 would believe you need to pay TAX on second hand goods in the UK. hmmm. The price for the rift is clearly marked on the website, so I think you may be onto something DaftnDirect.

I wouldn't be amazed myself. The education of kids has been substandard in this country for DECADES.

Yep, I hate advertising wanks with a passion and spam merchants are the lowest. If I’m wrong then sorry.

But if there are any mods reading this, perhaps they can remove the link, it’s not really relevant to the question anyway.