cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor setup bullshit.

Tha_Rotiart
Honored Guest
What the actual fuck are these demands that we need to have for our sensor. I am one of the pre-order buyers of the rift CV1. I've had some "issues" during setup but never so much. Now I have my 3rd sensor for a while, same thing. No issues. Now I pressed the full setup button and I am FUCKED. The demands are crazy and I can't get past them. I disconnected the 3rd sensor because after a full hour of squeezing the fucking trigger I am done.
23 REPLIES 23

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
If you're having issues with the part where they try and place your sensors (squeeze the trigger while standing in the center, and then rotate the controller if successfully squeezed and tracked), you need to make sure all sensors have a line of sight to the LED's on the ring of the controller, and that the sensors are no more than 7-8ft from the controller itself (past that point, the sensors themselves can't individually pick up the controller well). How are your sensors setup? If it's the recommended 3/4's box setup (front-right, front-left, back-left or back-right), you should face the front sensor that would place the other two sensors at to your left and your right (e.g. If you have a back-right sensor, face the front-right sensor).
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

Tha_Rotiart
Honored Guest

Xsjadia said:

If you're having issues with the part where they try and place your sensors (squeeze the trigger while standing in the center, and then rotate the controller if successfully squeezed and tracked), you need to make sure all sensors have a line of sight to the LED's on the ring of the controller, and that the sensors are no more than 7-8ft from the controller itself (past that point, the sensors themselves can't individually pick up the controller well). How are your sensors setup? If it's the recommended 3/4's box setup (front-right, front-left, back-left or back-right), you should face the front sensor that would place the other two sensors at to your left and your right (e.g. If you have a back-right sensor, face the front-right sensor).

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I have tried every way that oculus recommends and as a "pre-order"-generation guy I've had my fair share of mistakes in the beginning but since the latest update the requirements are off the charts if you ask me. I follow every step like they said but nothing worked. I did find a way to just NOT do the setup and I am now stuck with a glitchy experience which I did not have before, but at least I get to actually use my Rift. I have the 3 sensor setup at home, 4 sensors seemed a bit over the top. The right corner-back one is pointed in a straight line directly towards the front-left, Both front ones are pointed towards the middle of my play area and moving the sensors any closer to the middle is not physically possible at this point or I would drop down below the "optimal" play space area and I'll have to put the back sensor on a stool or something.

Like I said, I'm just frustrated that they don't allow you to "sort of go with it anyway-setup". It used to work like a charm, and now I just bought a 900 euro system that's giving me a 'ok' experience, but I honestly don't believe the nice folks from Oculus really give a fuck about us anymore. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try keeping your back sensor where it is and having the front sensors facing forward. Then when you have to press the trigger button make sure that all 3 sensors can see it by standing sideways with the two front facing sensors on your right and your back sensor to your left.

The only sensor that should be on a diagonal FOV is the back one, the front two should be straight.

You might also want to try that desktop scene that was updated to support more than one sensor just to see if all of your sensors are working properly.

cybereality
Grand Champion
It probably means your sensors are too far away from each other, or they can't all see the controller at the same time. The ring on Touch needs to be clearly visible to all sensors when you pull the trigger. See this guide for some assistance.
https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/199906947113632/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the sensor setup bullshit and Oculus needs to sort it out. When I got my Rift replacement and went through the setup there was nothing I could do to get past the sensor setup. At one point the setup was telling me to place the two front facing sensors virtually looking at each other. I did this and it said it was correct even though I knew it couldn't be correct. It then told me I needed to position the third sensor behind me correctly, so again I moved it to the most ridiculous place ever. After doing this bullshit and been told it was correct my hands jumped all over the place, but even I could see the sensors weren't even looking at me and it must be wrong. This is how my sensors ended up looking the yellow arrows is where it said it was correct LOL. In the end I had to ignore this bullshit setup and just do what I thought.

So when is Oculus going to fix this this issue because it is an issue and it started after the last update. Before the last update everything was fine with the sensor setup. Placing the sensors like I have shown with the yellow arrows wouldn't work for anyone, but this is how it told me they were correct. To prove my point I tried it and it didn't work. Well it worked but with jumping hands all over the place and the worst experience ever. So @cybereality do I now need to send all my sensors back or is this a problem with the Oculus setup? My two front facing sensors are around 6ft apart

kfmucrmnkeov.jpg

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've seen sometimes it can suggest odd configurations. However if you know what you are doing, you can set it up correctly and just click Continue anyway. The important part is that when it asks you to hold Touch at eye level and press the trigger, this step must be done or the configuration won't save properly. If this step recognizes, you should be OK. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Chazmeister
Rising Star
The only issue I've had so far is it telling me to get closer to the sensors, but as I knew my setup works because it's more or less a permanent setup, I just ignored that and moved on to the next dialogue.

It is best to have them tilted in at a bit of an angle for maximum coverage. Just position your front and rear sensors so that they're tilted in towards each other at about a 45 degree angle. Imagine cones of view fanning out from each sensor, then position them so that all the cones are clear of obstruction and give you the best coverage. Ideally you want them at just above head height at about 7 or 8 foot looking down on your play area. If you're happy that you've got things setup for good line of sight from the sensors, then just ignore any protestations from the setup dialogues and just move on to the next one. You'll know how well you've got things setup when you draw the Guardian boundary. Draw one at about knee height and then go round it again at about head height. Any loss or interrupts of the haptic feedback as you're doing it means that something is occluding your tracking and your sensor setup needs adjusting.

ViznutSN
Honored Guest
I had the same problem when we got Touch controllers and the 2nd sensor that comes with it.  In hindsight, I regret ever plugging in that 2nd sensor and running Full Setup again.

How do I get the Oculus software to just "forget" about that 2nd sensor and give me the old sensor setup process back?

The Rift was working just fine before with just one sensor, and I don't need Touch controllers for what I'm doing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you unplug the extra sensors and then "forget" them in the Oculus app Device settings, that should allow you do go back to 1 sensor config. However, you won't be able to use Touch.