cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor setup bullshit.

Tha_Rotiart
Honored Guest
What the actual fuck are these demands that we need to have for our sensor. I am one of the pre-order buyers of the rift CV1. I've had some "issues" during setup but never so much. Now I have my 3rd sensor for a while, same thing. No issues. Now I pressed the full setup button and I am FUCKED. The demands are crazy and I can't get past them. I disconnected the 3rd sensor because after a full hour of squeezing the fucking trigger I am done.
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I have been pretty lucky, have had no issues at all with re-running setup for my two sensors so far. < knocking on wood>

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

Like I said, I'm just frustrated that they don't allow you to "sort of go with it anyway-setup". It used to work like a charm, and now I just bought a 900 euro system that's giving me a 'ok' experience, but I honestly don't believe the nice folks from Oculus really give a fuck about us anymore. 

As far as I can tell, it does in fact allow you to do exactly that!

Keep all of your cameras at the corners of your room, mounted above your head.  Point the two front ones inward about 45 degrees, and put the back one at the opposite corner from one of them, pointing across the diagonal of your room.  After pulling the trigger, when it tells you to move your cameras or point them in a different direction, just click Next instead.  It will continue with the setup along with some complaint that your setup may not be optimal.

ViznutSN
Honored Guest
cybereality:
If you unplug the extra sensors and then "forget" them in the Oculus app
Device settings, that should allow you do go back to 1 sensor config.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  When I unplug the sensor, it's removed from the displayed devices under Settings -> Devices.  However, when you start Full Setup (or Sensor Setup), it knows about that 2nd Sensor and will not let you proceed with sensor configuration until you plug in that second sensor. 

UPDATE: I found out how to get to the "Forget Device" option.  It just didn't work.  Here's what I did:

1. Go to Settings -> Devices
  2. Plug in the 2nd sensor
  3. Click on the 2nd sensor device
  4. Unplug the 2nd sensor (the device now shows that it's "Off" instead of "Connected")
  5. Click "Forget Device"
However, when you start "Full Setup" or "Sensor Setup", it's clear that setup has not forgotten about this device, because it still refuses to allow you to configure sensors until you plug in that 2nd sensor.

So the question is, what settings file do I need to hack to remove Oculus' knowledge of that 2nd sensor that was installed before?  Thanks.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, you may be right. The easiest thing would be to just unplug everything, uninstall the Oculus app completely, and start fresh.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Am afraid my bullshit is a little different, but it's still bullshit...............

After finnaly getting a third sensor, i plugged it in and oculus home said "it looks like you have connected a third sensor" "lets get it set up" oculus home then crashed! I restarted my pc, and went to restart oculus home and got the "cannot connect to oculus server, please try in a minute..........". Clicked oculus install and then repair, halfway through it says "something went wrong please restart your computer". i restart pc again and again restart oculus setup. Then i setup guardian again, and it works perfectly, untill i take off the heaset and close the oculus software.

However clicking on the oculus icon the software begins to start then gets to the part where it says  "it looks like you have connected a third sensor" "lets get it set up"
oculus home then crashed! I restarted my pc, and went to restart oculus
home and got the "cannot connect to oculus server, please try in a
minute..........". Clicked oculus install and then repair, halfway
through it says "something went wrong please restart your computer". i
restart pc again and again restart oculus setup. Then i setup guardian
again, and it works perfectly, untill i take off the heaset and close
the oculus software.

Any ideas please?

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Yes it gave me a really hard time too. Same thing as you. I ended up quiting then came back the next day and it worked first or second try. 

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Two straight days and no end in sight :'( :'(

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not sure. Please submit a ticket. Thanks.
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

OldGamerGitt
Explorer
Thanks cybereality, ticket submitted and Hank answered so fingers crossed........... 😕

Weezle90
Honored Guest
Have the same problem.
I tried to make the 3-sensor setup.
It`s very tricky to find a configuration that works and also fits to your room. the sensor setup is really not flexible.
the oculus sensor setup program also tries to show you how to change the placement and tilt of your sensors, but in a way you dont want to have it arranged in your location.
this is really annoying and frustrating.
PLS oculus... solve that issue. make the setup more flexible even it is not optimal!