cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensors

afm
Explorer
I bought my Oculus Rift for sims racing and want to know where I should position my sensors to race on my rig, can I only use one sensor or or do I have to both, I am finding it impossible to get the right positioning as the head set is showing the race from behind racing seat?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Chazmeister
Rising Star
What Tadin just said basically.

What usually happens is that when you start a game it uses your initial position as your VR centre point. So if you're leaning forward in your chair towards your PC start the game, the game will most likely use where you are then as it's reference for where you are sat. As you then sit back down into your seat, you will of course end up sat behind where you were. But like Tadin says, pretty much every VR experience, game or what have you, has some sort of recentre button.

Oh and to answer another part of your question, if all you are doing is playing seated sims, then you can just use the 1 sensor if you wish. Obviously 2 gives better coverage, but with my setup I use just the one sensor for playing sims and seated stuff in my office area and it works just fine, and then I use 3 for room scale stuff in my living room area. Once I've moved the sensor in my office area to the living room and plugged the other 2 in to my PC, a quick reset of the sensors in the software is now all it takes to swap from one configuration to the other.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable
in AC I'm always centering when exiting pits... map glance left, glance right on some buttons on your wheel, hit them at the same time will centre your view... or ctrl+space on kbd, but that's awkward for me so I use buttons on wheel.
for simracing you only need one sensor for it to work fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Sounds like your sensors are fine, just recenter the view once you're in the game.

Most games have a button for recenter, but there is also one when you press the Oculus button while in the game, you'll see the option to quit app or reset view, just use that.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
What Tadin just said basically.

What usually happens is that when you start a game it uses your initial position as your VR centre point. So if you're leaning forward in your chair towards your PC start the game, the game will most likely use where you are then as it's reference for where you are sat. As you then sit back down into your seat, you will of course end up sat behind where you were. But like Tadin says, pretty much every VR experience, game or what have you, has some sort of recentre button.

Oh and to answer another part of your question, if all you are doing is playing seated sims, then you can just use the 1 sensor if you wish. Obviously 2 gives better coverage, but with my setup I use just the one sensor for playing sims and seated stuff in my office area and it works just fine, and then I use 3 for room scale stuff in my living room area. Once I've moved the sensor in my office area to the living room and plugged the other 2 in to my PC, a quick reset of the sensors in the software is now all it takes to swap from one configuration to the other.

WreckLuse68
Heroic Explorer
I map a button to my wheel to center head position...with PCars 2 you can do that in-game but with Assetto you would probably need to use something like JoyToKey (at least last I checked).
When Einstein was asked how it felt to be the smartest man on Earth, he replied, “I wouldn’t know. Ask Nikola Tesla”.

Anonymous
Not applicable
in AC I'm always centering when exiting pits... map glance left, glance right on some buttons on your wheel, hit them at the same time will centre your view... or ctrl+space on kbd, but that's awkward for me so I use buttons on wheel.
for simracing you only need one sensor for it to work fine.

cybereality
Grand Champion
See these articles for details. https://www.oculus.com/blog/roomscale-revisited-getting-the-most-out-of-your-rift/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

afm
Explorer
My Oculus  is great for VR and just playing around but as I said I bought primarly for sims racing but I am nearing the point of giving up trying to set it up I have set up the senors  but cannot set up Project Cars 11 to play on the Oculus it runs on the flat screen but stretched but not on the Oculus I had to buy this version of Stream for my PC which I loaded onto my computer weeks ago but reasently went to Stream to load their VR version now should I be using my one on my computer or Streams VR version as I feel one is overlaping the other