cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Sam 3 BFE with VORPX = Mind Blown!

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
So, I came across Serious Sam 3 BFE and decided what the hell, let's try this one in VORPX. Much to my surprise It worked almost immediately. After poking around in the settings I found that the game offers a FOV slider that goes all the way to the magic 120!!! After a few tweaks to the game settings I loaded it up and proceeded to be blown away by just how good this one is. I would say that this game is as close to native VR support as it gets using VORPX. The head tracking is spot on, and the graphics look great. there is a small issue I haven't nailed down yet with a weird effect when my character gets hit by something, but it is minor. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has VORPX and a DK2!! This has been the most fun in an FPS game I've had in a long time []-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQ9xJNKaf0
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
17 REPLIES 17

tamonte
Honored Guest
"schmeltzer" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

So when I fired up HL2 (optimized for VR) and started playing only to get a stomach churning experience after 20 minutes, I was devastated. It felt like a lifelong friend betrayed me. I researched sim sickness and its triggers and, unfortunately the way a body moves in an FPS is NOT the way the human body normally moves.

Well, I played the entire game on the DK1. Sure I got sick in the beginning. But after a while the problems were gone. People give up SO easily imho.

Playing FPS in VR takes training, you can't walk the marathon without training either.

Walking where you are looking is the biggest problem if you ask me. It is totally unnatural.

Totally agrre, I had slight nausea issues when i first played FPSs (Half-Life and Alien Isolation), but I was careful though, I only did small sessions in be beggining and started increasing the time until it was completly gone for me. So much that i played ShootMania Storm (a quake like shooter) with the DK2 and didn't have problems.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"schmeltzer" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

So when I fired up HL2 (optimized for VR) and started playing only to get a stomach churning experience after 20 minutes, I was devastated. It felt like a lifelong friend betrayed me. I researched sim sickness and its triggers and, unfortunately the way a body moves in an FPS is NOT the way the human body normally moves.

Well, I played the entire game on the DK1. Sure I got sick in the beginning. But after a while the problems were gone. People give up SO easily imho.

Playing FPS in VR takes training, you can't walk the marathon without training either.

Walking where you are looking is the biggest problem if you ask me. It is totally unnatural.

If the majority of users have to train to push themselves beyond their nausea threshold in order to enjoy VR, then VR is doomed all over again. Nausea was the primary VR killer in the 90's and devs aren't eager to go down that road again.
I've come to the sad realization that the current style fast paced FPS games will probably never see native VR support. That said, I do have hopes that a DIFFERENT type of FPS will evolve. Slower paced, maybe standing experiences. It's all just experimental right now.

I do know one thing, I'm not willing to look back. I no longer want to play an old game that's been poorly ported to VR. Show me something new or GTFO. VorpX and other third party port mods are doing nothing but distracting attention away from the goal of realizing fully developed, natively supported VR games for 2016.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

schmeltzer
Protege
"vizionvr" wrote:
"schmeltzer" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

If the majority of users have to train to push themselves beyond their nausea threshold in order to enjoy VR, then VR is doomed all over again. Nausea was the primary VR killer in the 90's and devs aren't eager to go down that road again.
I've come to the sad realization that the current style fast paced FPS games will probably never see native VR support. That said, I do have hopes that a DIFFERENT type of FPS will evolve. Slower paced, maybe standing experiences. It's all just experimental right now.

I do know one thing, I'm not willing to look back. I no longer want to play an old game that's been poorly ported to VR. Show me something new or GTFO. VorpX and other third party port mods are doing nothing but distracting attention away from the goal of realizing fully developed, natively supported VR games for 2016.

I played Omga Agent. I read that it can make some people sick. But for me it is one of the most amazing experiences. If people give up, they miss out on a lot imho.

VizionVR
Rising Star
From what I've seen in the in-game footage, Omega Agent is technically a cockpit game and not as prone to nausea as a walk around FPS. The jetpack cage shown on screen acts as a simplified cockpit, thereby telling your brain that your lower body isn't being used for locomotion. Doing this bypasses the physical/virtual disconnect that usually happens in an FPS. From what I understand, this is essential to easing nausea in a VR environment.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Ashles" wrote:
Agreed - the issue with FPS in VR is simply not one that any amount of graphical or processing upgrades is likely to solve.

Your visual system sees everything to indicate that you are moving, your vestibular system is expecting to feel the movement, but does not = error your body doesn't like.
(I have read one theory that this is an evolutionary response to such an inconsistency of the two systems that would have been likely to be a result of having consumed a toxic substance hence the immediate body response is to vomit. This sounds feasible and reinforces the probability that this is a biological restrction and not one that hardware improvements can compensate for.)

Developers seem to have accepted this - rather than wasting time developing for experiences that aren't going to feel pleasant, they are correctly focussing on the experiences that play to the strengths of the new form factor.

Well said.

schmeltzer
Protege
In real life I tried to copy the default behaviour of the control scheme of most VR FP games.
It wasn't that easy ;-).

What I did was: I walked into the direction I was looking at without changing the position of my torso or the rest of my body. Believe me, it looks stupid. Don't try this in a crowded place, people will think you are nuts ;).

Anyways, I got sick, just like in VR.

I can't believe devs still keep inmplementing this movement scheme, that was basicly designed for 2d gaming :cry:
They should implement tank controls instead, which is how you move in real life. With CV1 accurate positional tracking and headtracking this should be possible without drifting. (drifting makes you sick as well).

pixel67
Explorer
"schmeltzer" wrote:
In real life I tried to copy the default behaviour of the control scheme of most VR FP games.
It wasn't that easy ;-).

What I did was: I walked into the direction I was looking at without changing the position of my torso or the rest of my body. Believe me, it looks stupid. Don't try this in a crowded place, people will think you are nuts ;).

I can't believe devs still keep inmplementing this movement scheme, that was basicly designed for 2d gaming :cry:
They should implement tank controls instead, which is how you move in real life. With CV1 accurate positional tracking and headtracking this should be possible without drifting. (drifting makes you sick as well).

Interesting experiment, LOL! Keep in mind that the game we are talking about, Serious Sam BFE, came out in 2011 and is far from being a native VR game.

schmeltzer
Protege
"pixel67" wrote:
"schmeltzer" wrote:
It wasn't that easy ;-).

Interesting experiment, LOL! Keep in mind that the game we are talking about, Serious Sam BFE, came out in 2011 and is far from being a native VR game.

True, but I wasn't talking about Serious Sam, but Firts Person games in general (like Dreadhalls e.g.) 😉