cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a gaming machine?

rameshcs
Honored Guest
I got my DK2 a couple days ago, and while I am good with the office desk demo in the Config tool, the Tuscany demo is making me a little sick. I am not a gaming guy, so my laptop doesn't have 2Gigs of Graphics memory etc., but I am wondering if getting a gaming hardware configuration will help. My interest in Oculus is for non-gaming applications, but if it will help in barf-free development, I will look into investing in better hardware. I think my biggest problem is the jerky refresh when I move my head. I think I have configured the lenses properly. I would like to hear from folks who are seeing smoother rendering about what hardware they are using.
14 REPLIES 14

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
At the moment there is a bug in the DK2's drivers that is causing excess judder, even if your software is running faster than 75FPS. So, depending upon what your current hardware is, you might take that into consideration. Right now, there's no system on the planet that will run everything smoothly all the time outside of Oculus's offices. Hopefully the next release will fix those problems.

Ultimately, you're going to need a big rig to run big games, there's no way around it. I'm currently running a basic top-of-the-line system (i7 4790lk + GTX 780ti). It works well for current software. It runs Elite: Dangerous at over 75FPS most of the time on medium to high settings. But, I'm not certain that it will have enough horsepower for the CV1 next year. The CV1 is likely going to have even higher resolution and higher frame rate requirements. I'll probably be able to get away with upgrading only the GPU, but the GPU's capable of doing the job are probably still going to be in the $600 range, which is still a fairly expensive upgrade for me.

So, should you get a gaming machine? If you upgrade today, just understand that almost no matter what you buy you're going to be upgrading some of those components for CV1 next year. So, my best advice is: Budget for the future. You're going to be happier if you have a top-of-the-line system next year than if you have a top-of-the-line system right now.

yangming
Honored Guest
hi, i also wanna find something to develope except game , i know some developers is developing VR movie palyer ....

Psycold
Honored Guest
I would (if this is an option) find someone who has a high end machine that will let you test the DK2 out, if you still feel like barfing then you might not want to pull the trigger on buying a whole new computer. I'm not saying give up on your DK2 but as mentioned these are very early stages and it would be a letdown if you bought a whole new rig just to find out you are still having nausea issues that will likely be alleviated with coming updates. Plus this could give you more time to buy the best possible components and do more research as to what is out and what is going to be released next.

Wireline
Explorer
Hi there

For what its worth, David Braben apparently ( http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2825nq/elite_dangerous_to_support_oculus_dk2_at_its/ ) stated that they used a Titan to get 75fps out of Elite Dangerous. This certainly seems in keeping with benchmarks, as those are high frame rates.

Many folks are saying the demos run fine with medium to high cards, but I think you are going to run into problems when you try anything demanding. Basically if your setup cannot do 1080p at 75fps, then you are going to need an upgrade, and if you want to go down that path then you have a performance bracket to aim for.

As things stand, without further optimisation or simply reducing graphical fidelity in games, you are likely to need some serious hardware. But then, you will have some serious hardware - which will be an AWESOME THING 😄

rameshcs
Honored Guest
Thanks for your responses. Psycold, I like your suggestion of test driving my DK2 on a high end machine I can get a hold of. If it works out, I might spend just enough to upgrade so I don't spend a lot on Dramamine, and then wait for a bigger upgrade until after CV1, like DeadlyJoe sugegsted. Wireline, I don't think I am willing to spend on a Titan anytime soon :).

VickerC
Honored Guest
"DeadlyJoe" wrote:
At the moment there is a bug in the DK2's drivers that is causing excess judder, even if your software is running faster than 75FPS. So, depending upon what your current hardware is, you might take that into consideration. Right now, there's no system on the planet that will run everything smoothly all the time outside of Oculus's offices. Hopefully the next release will fix those problems.

Ultimately, you're going to need a big rig to run big games, there's no way around it. I'm currently running a basic top-of-the-line system (i7 4790lk + GTX 780ti). It works well for current software. It runs Elite: Dangerous at over 75FPS most of the time on medium to high settings. But, I'm not certain that it will have enough horsepower for the CV1 next year. The CV1 is likely going to have even higher resolution and higher frame rate requirements. I'll probably be able to get away with upgrading only the GPU, but the GPU's capable of doing the job are probably still going to be in the $600 range, which is still a fairly expensive upgrade for me.

So, should you get a gaming machine? If you upgrade today, just understand that almost no matter what you buy you're going to be upgrading some of those components for CV1 next year. So, my best advice is: Budget for the future. You're going to be happier if you have a top-of-the-line system next year than if you have a top-of-the-line system right now.

If a GTX880 is needed to be able to game at 75 fps at high to ultra settings, Oculus will not be able to reach the amount of people they want. Then the use of the oculus (for gaming) will remain a niche. I think they will come up with a solution to achieve higher resolution with less GPU power then the today (like the cascade screen test, dedicated VR GPU, etc). We will see a lot of changes/new features for the VR market in the coming years.
The best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago, the second best time is now

SMaton
Honored Guest
Well, it all depends on the graphic style of the game. If you're going for (ultra) realism, then yes... you'll need an high end machine to run that. But if you're going with "traditional" non-ultra-realistic styles, then 75fps seems reasonable for current mid-gen computers.

mta
Honored Guest
This has to be one the major contenders for holding back a CV1 release.

Devs and gamers alike usually have high end PC's (unless they're mac users) so the answer is YES.

falco
Honored Guest
This is actually something that I´m worried about.
If CV1 is intentded for the masses, then Oculus will need other solution much much better than DK2.
Most people do not have Monstuous PC rigs to run the content at 75 fps.