cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sixense Stem Delayed Until October - Going Under?

OK i was looking around and found one of my old posts about the Stem system earlier.  I had the Razer Hydra with my DK1 and it did make a difference.  I was excited with the early demos of the Stem - one on each leg and one on the arms etc. but then there was the crazy price.  Well after 2 years of delays and apparent blatant lies it looks like a good number of backers are after refunds and talking about lawsuits.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/89577853/stem-system-the-best-way-to-interact-with-virtual/post...

Is the Stem redundant because of Touch?

Does anybody have one pre-ordered?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
20 REPLIES 20

Bleppe
Adventurer
I'd say it's redundant for Rift and Vive users but not for something like OSVR which doesn't have it's own controll system. Atleast not that I know of.

Bleppe said:

I'd say it's redundant for Rift and Vive users but not for something like OSVR which doesn't have it's own controll system. Atleast not that I know of.

It's looking like there may be a use case for mobile VR too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBAV8qLGpnA

kojack
MVP
MVP
I have one on order.

I still think it has potential.
Stem has no line of sight issues, which both Touch and Vive can suffer from. It's also not purely inertial, so it shouldn't drift like Perception Neuron/PrioVR/etc.
The main advantage is that it supports 10 tracking units (although I only have 5 in my order, 10 was a later achievement). With my 5 I can have hands, head (to synch the Oculus and Stem coord systems) and one on each leg. In my opinion, not having moving legs is one of the biggest presence killing artifacts of current standing VR. While people claim Oculus constellation or Vive lighthouse can do other body parts in the future, I've seen no evidence that this is near.

The fact that it can track legs while Vive and Rift can't makes it not redundant.

I've got a Hydra too. At close range it works great. The Stem has much larger range than the Hydra.

So yeah, I'm still excited about the Stem, I just wish they'd ship the damn thing! And my PrioVR.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

While people claim Oculus constellation or Vive lighthouse can do other body parts in the future, I've seen no evidence that this is near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQDa-IMo7I

This is evidence that it is possible to track multiple objects in SteamVR using the Vive; however you are still right in the fact that there is no evidence that this will be commercially available. 

But... I mean, if a dev can make it work, why wouldn't HTC/Valve implement this for a new upgrade?

kernow
Heroic Explorer
I got Perception Neuron a few months ago.
Still waiting on YEI PrioVR, but they seem to be gearing up to send stuff out (finally).
Did not back STEM.
These all are definitely helpful when you want to use more than just your hands.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even in theory it can work ~ you still have to get the IP to make it work with the device. I think that's one of the reasons why we haven't seen anything in terms of extra body part tracking just yet (in terms of Oculus or Vive tracking systems). The newest tracking I saw was some sort of gloves, but I think they are using their own method still for it.

Right now, I think having hands and the head show up in a game is already going to be more work than most devs will have time for as it is. Adding extra inputs is only going to increase the amount of time it'll takes to add the input into the game play it self.

More ore less ~ hands and head is a big step forward than adding other body parts until VR becomes better well integrated into our normal lives. And until they can fix the whole movement problems that current VR faces such as cables, moving from spot to spot (I don't mean room tracking, but full on movement in some fashion), and software development, then it's only going to add problems to the already increasing demand on the hardware/software teams.

The idea is fantastic - i totally agree that bringing other body parts in to VR is the natural way to go, unfortunately the delays and cost ($995) may be it's downfall.

Then again we don't yet know the cost of Touch.

Thoemse
Protege
The idea is fantastic indeed but I am not looking forward to "having to suit up" for a quick 30 minute game session.
I'll take my Vive + Wands (or Rift + Touch). 

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's not much suiting up for a stem.
The head unit would be already attached to the head band of the rift, so nothing to do there.
The hand units are just controllers you hold, like Vive wands and Touch.
The only bits to be suited up would be the two velcro straps on your legs, which are also optional.

I've got a Perception Neuron at work, it's annoying to put on. Stem would be an order of magnitude easier.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2