Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SlimeVR Open Source Full Body Tracking Launches Funding Campaign

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.crowdsupply.com/slimevr/slimevr-full-body-tracker

SlimeVR is an inertial mocap solution that has just opened on CrowdSupply. The tech is similar to mocap systems like Perception Neuron and PrioVR, but with some very interesting differences.

slimevr-angle-01_jpg_project-body.jpg

Features:

• Open Source software (firmware, server and steamvr drivers are all on github)
  • Wireless trackers (needs 2.4GHz wifi)
  • 15 hour battery life and usb recharging
  • Very cheap
  • Area limited only by wifi coverage
  • No external sensors
  • No occlusion

There are 2 kinds of tracker: standard tracker (battery powered, wifi, IMU) and extension (just IMU). The extensions are smaller trackers that connect with a short cable to the stardard trackers, to provide enhanced accuracy (so you get 2 IMUs on one body part)

slimevr-tracker-with-extension-cs_jpg_project-body.jpg

Pricing (different tiers on CrowdSupply):

• 5 trackers (waist, knees, feet) = $165
  • 5 trackers and 1 extension (waist, knees, feet, chest) = $190
  • 5 trackers and 3 extensions = $235
  • 7 trackers and 3 extensions = $295
  • 10 trackers and 6 extensions = $455
  • 7 trackers and 3 extensions as a DIY kit (only boards, no cases, batteries, straps, etc) = $235

Free US shipping, $15 international.

The campaign is already up to $167,805 of $180,000 goal on the first day. Estimated shipping is March 2022.

I have no connection to them, only found out they exist about 2 hours ago, but apparently one of my co-workers helped them on some code or something which is how I heard about it. It does look pretty cool, and so much cheaper than buying a Perception Neuron or Vive trackers if you just want VR Chat.

Reviews of the beta units:

The main concern is these are purely inertial tracking and don't use magnetometers. So position tracking is based on the skeleton hierarchy and your headset position. But most importantly, they can have yaw drift (like the DK1 or the Go and it's controller). But it seems easy to reset on the fly (could probably set up an autooculustouch script to do it on a button combo). I've used a $1500 Perception Neuron mocap suit and it has the same issue (with far more annoying calibration poses each time). So not as precise as Vive trackers, but far better than a Kinect or other cheap solution.

But I've been burned on mocap crowd funding before (waiting 7 years now for the PrioVR suit I paid for!). As I said, I have no connection to them and only found them today. However I like the open source side, they give instructions for how to make your own trackers using NodeMCUs (I have a few beside me now) and IMUs (I have a heap) and the low tiers are pretty cheap for a crowd funding gamble.

One final interesting thing: you technically don't even need to buy it. They have software for mobile phones to act as the trackers. If you have a heap of phones lying around you can tape them to your body and download the free server software and test it out now. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
15 REPLIES 15

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The idea of hand-stands in VR is awesome! Not to mention that we could eventually end up doing... real fighting Sims!

Now there is a Sim I would finally enjoy. I would love to do some real combat, including our legs, in VR. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat moves with full body tracking in VR?? YES PLEASE!

@Zenbane wrote:

The idea of hand-stands in VR is awesome! Not to mention that we could eventually end up doing... real fighting Sims!

Now there is a Sim I would finally enjoy. I would love to do some real combat, including our legs, in VR. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat moves with full body tracking in VR?? YES PLEASE!

That sounds... exhausting.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

I've always fancied leaning to dance properly but too embarrassed to go anywhere where I'm likely to be seen trying it. If there was a VR program where you copy the moves and your technique was captured and used to help improve in some way... Latin or maybe Northern Soul type stuff, I'd be up for it.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

I've always fancied leaning to dance properly but too embarrassed to go anywhere where I'm likely to be seen trying it. If there was a VR program where you copy the moves and your technique was captured and used to help improve in some way... Latin or maybe Northern Soul type stuff, I'd be up for it.

This is quite brilliant. I took dance lessons (Salsa) some 15 years ago. And it was similar for me, in that I struggled to get the techniques so much that I was embarrassed just trying. I had private lessons, but it was still embarrassing being around 2 other people (the instructor, and my dance partner). 

The instructor would encourage me to practice daily at home alone. However, by the time I got home I had forgotten the detailed instructions he had given me about all the various techniques. So it was rather futile.

If I had a VR Instructor - even if it's just an NPC with scripts measuring my techniques - then the results would be sooo much better. I mean, if Beat Saber can measure the degree and direction of hand swipes so accurately, then I can only imagine how amazing VR Dance Schooling would become.

ohgrant
Superstar

Mmm, that first vid had cartoon panties 🤗 Seems like a neat system. Needs 2.4 GHz wifi, I wonder if that means 5G not supported and what the bandwidth cost will be if one is already using the wifi to stream to the Quest. 

I just ordered a DecaMove, along the same lines, but meant to take the place of head or hand directional tracking.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

> The idea of hand-stands in VR is awesome! 

Have you seem more videos on full body tracking? Just imaging what could you do if there 2 or more people in the same room with body trackers. It could be paired dance, acrobatics even some tools use (like bicycle training)

> real fighting Sims!

I think it's a long time to go 😞 You will need some force-feedback (a robotic arm may be) to feel that your kick is not in the air. 🙂

> If there was a VR program where you copy the moves...

Not quite that, but you could join VR chat room to learn dances already 🙂

Search for videos about dancing and vr chat.

There is growing community of dancers. They are for some years already. Trying different tracking devices.

Nekto2
Superstar

Great devices! And those are open source so we can see improved versions from other people!

Have you seen more cheap software virtual trackers using 2-3 ordinary webcams? There are test videos.

First you calibrate them by printing QR code like A4 image and showing to all cameras same time, next it could track your body and send data to virtual steam vr trackers driver.

kojack
MVP
MVP

The main problem with camera based body tracking is we get back into the occlusion problem. Plus lighting and what you are wearing. I've seen some really good demos lately though.

For example, leg tracking while wearing a long dress wouldn't be possible. Or lying down. Sitting in a bean bag would probably confuse a camera system too.

Obviously IMU based tracking has issues too (yaw drift), but it has very low bandwidth and CPU use, so would be great for smaller platforms. It should be easy to get a SlimeVR working on a Quest 2 (with games made especially for it).

"Needs 2.4 GHz wifi, I wonder if that means 5G not supported and what the bandwidth cost will be if one is already using the wifi to stream to the Quest. "

They've said it doesn't support 5GHz. This is most likely because the kinds of microcontrollers they are using usually only have a 2.4GHz module. In fact in a quick search I can't find any 5GHz modules for arduino style microcontrollers. It would probably raise the price to find a custom solution.

Bandwidth would be very low.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2