cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So close to Selling my Rift

DarthHarbin
Explorer
     Gosh I'm so on the verge of Selling my Rift because of the lack of the kinda games I normally play, but on my rift.  I was so Pissed when they dropped plans to make Alien Isolation playable on recent rift editions, and even worse another slap in the face when the next big thing i looked forward to was RE7 and they put a damn timed exclusive on VR for only the PSVR for an entire fucking year!  
   Dude.. I just want to wear my headset like in Doom3 with my normal popular gaming.  No fancy hands motions tracking or roomscale gimmicky crap is necessary.  Just good head tracking and full geometric 3D immersion.  Mouse/Keyboard or Gamepad is completely FINE.   I want to play Alien Isolation, RE7, Fallout 4, GTA4/5, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and more like that with just the improved immersion of smooth Head Tracking.  
    I might be happier with the PSVR since they seem to be concentrating more primarily on the gaming audience they already have.  The answer to save VR gaming for the time being seems to be getting the current games in developement that they already make good money on, to simply give us the headtracking element that makes immersion much better than just looking at a flat screen.   That's already a huge improvement to immersion.  Those that get sick won't buy but plenty of us still will.  There are tons of gamers in the world and just that little bit of extra immersion is worth it.  Hell i paid alot just for a better sound system with Surround Speakers just to have that better immersion.  Then when more people have headsets, we can experiment with adding more specialized game type that suite more niches.
70 REPLIES 70

nalex66
MVP
MVP

XWolven said:

I'd really like to be able to play things like Total War Warhammer and Xcom in ways like Airmech Command.

I'd love to play XCOM in VR. I've been playing AirMech:Command lately and I really enjoy it. I spent a lot of time over the past weekend in the Landfall beta, and that's another top-down game that I liked a lot.

Fist-person experiences are obviously great for VR, but there's also something really satisfying about having the battlefield spread out below you as you control tiny little soldiers and war machines like some all-seeing god.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The Landfall beta was fantastic. I can't wait for the full release. If done correctly with single player campaigns, that is going to be a huge time sink!

HiThere_
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

Cyril said:

In fact I heard that the developers of "Arizona Sunshine" were planning to add free roaming to it this year : Keep an eye on that one.

You mean something other than what they added a few weeks ago?

I mean that I heard about it before it was added, and that it's proof that free roaming can be added even to existing VR titles that didn't initially provide it : There just needs to be a growing demand for it.

Also heard that Valve had taken Dante Buckley into their offices, and back then I said I doubt they had done that to discuss teleportation mechanics with him.

zboson
Superstar

Warbloke said:

ok what am I missing?... the other night I downloaded 'Dear Angelica' as Id read it was amazing etc...

I think I got as far as when a dragon was drawn... then I got kind of bored. *yawn

I couldn't find a way of fast forwarding to see if it got any better later so I gave up and did something else.

Does it get better or does it just carry on like it did up to that point ? and how long does it actually go on for ?

It's obviously not your thing. That's okay. If I recall you did not like Dreadhalls (or maybe you just did not get scared from it). We are not all the same. I find VR the coolest new tech in many years. The OP in this question would rather play AAA on a flat screen than play smaller budget VR games. It's okay to try and show people what they are missing out on but at some point you have to realize not everyone thinks the same as you.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Star Citizen VR support has been cancelled, another slap in the face for VR entusiasts, btw dont buy the piece of crap "VORPX" your stomach will be gratefull. At least give us Robo Recall, 99% of the time Im using SteamVR to play Onward and other great games, my Oculus library is already outdated....
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Warbloke
Superstar

zboson said:

It's obviously not your thing. That's okay. If I recall you did not like Dreadhalls (or maybe you just did not get scared from it). We are not all the same.

Well remembered... I did 'like it' but I didn't get 'scared' by it.
Indeed I was the brave one of these forums and among the few elite gamers who's underwear remained poop free.

I find VR the coolest new tech in many years.

Me too.  Other than the poop in our respective underwear.. we are similar here.

The OP in this question would rather play AAA on a flat screen than play smaller budget VR games.

My post wasn't really related to the OP (sorry OP), but was just because Dear Angelica was mentioned later on... and I happened to look at that the night before and missed what was great about it.

It's okay to try and show people what they are missing out on

I know - I have no issue with anyone doing that and welcome it.
My actual question was in fact.. what am I missing ?

at some point you have to realize not everyone thinks the same as you.

Thank goodness for that... I'd be scared to go out by myself at night  !

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

zboson
Superstar
@Warbloke

What are you missing? Well in my case it started a little slow. I got a little bored but not so much I wanted to quit. I enjoyed the last third of it a lot. By the end I found the story emotional and the VR experience with Quill was really unique. It was VR poetry and art. It reminding me of people doing Deluxe Paint animations on the Amiga but decades later in 3D and VR.  It's not that long to watch so why don't you just finish it. But something tells me you won't get the emotional experience and so you will find it intriguing but a bit boring.

morenosuba
Explorer
I have to agree with OP:

the available games for the OR is appalling to say the least. I've played better games BEFORE CV1 was released. yea, i'm talking about Skyrim with DK1 and 2. Space Engineers. Half life. I even played WoW.... that shit was off the hook incredible. sure it wasn't native VR (had to use Vorpx and Vireo) but damn they were amazing.
I would friken walk around skyrim for hours just watching the snow fall....

now I look at my oculus home store and i'm seriously depressed. I own like the best 3 games, and don't even want to try any of the other ones. 99% it's crap, or so limiting it can barely be called a demo. I say this because many of those were free just 6 months ago so I know how they play.

where are the friken games man?!
where is my full native VR Skyrim (that I've already played, and was friken amazing)?
where are the full fledge, high quality games?
where is the full native support for current top games(mobas,mmos,etc)?

how can you sell a 600$ (US) gaming machine with this kind of game line up?.... i'm not selling mine, but damn, Oculus needs to get it together!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

the available games for the OR is appalling to say the least.
Umm... if you are entertained for hours by watching snow fall in a hacked VR environment, then games like: Eve Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous, Technolust, Albino Lullaby, Subnautica, Darknet, Fated, Please do not touch anything, Pinball FX, Hitman GO, Chronos, Luckys Tale, Farlands, Unspoken, and Dead & Buried should be heaven.

For some reason I don't think you have really tried any of the new games.

morenosuba
Explorer

Zenbane said:

the available games for the OR is appalling to say the least.
Umm... if you are entertained for hours by watching snow fall in a hacked VR environment, then games like: Eve Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous, Technolust, Albino Lullaby, Subnautica, Darknet, Fated, Please do not touch anything, Pinball FX, Hitman GO, Chronos, Luckys Tale, Farlands, Unspoken, and Dead & Buried should be heaven.

For some reason I don't think you have really tried any of the new games.

I own Valkyrie, ED, Technolust. ED is good, the others are ok at best. they don't bring me back.

I've tried subnautica, Chronos, Luckys tale.

it's not heaven. the only one I keep coming back to occasionally is ED....that's not enough man. that's not enough for the best, most futuristic tech of the day.
as I said, I've played better games before CV1 was released.