cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So whats the best way to setup the sensors for touch?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So whats the best way to setup the sensors for touch? I'm going to use two because I can't afford a third sensor. I was thinking one in front obviously and one 180° directly behind me. Would you say this is the best way to arrange them? I ask because I've noticed some people have them in front of them slightly right of them at 30°and then behind them 210° A bit like the symbols I've used to try and demonstrate this below. The zero below represents my my fat head the other symbols are the sensors.

!
                                                                      !
21 REPLIES 21

FourT2
Expert Protege
I went with the setup that Oculus recommends and I grabbed a screenshot of my setup screen with 3 sensors. But before I got my 3d (rear) sensor my first two were pointing the same exact way. All 3 sensors are positioned at the same height, just above the head level while sitting at the desk, sensors parallel to the floor, not tilted. I may need to adjust this a bit later but recently I've only been playing standing room scale games with Touch, so this setup seems to work fine for me.  

Left sensor connected to USB 3. Right sensor connected to USB 3 via 6 ft extension. Rear sensor connected to USB 2 port with the provided 16 ft active extension cable. 

wy5sbphc6dhw.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I've been switching between 2 in front and two in opposing corners because I can't make my mind up lol

One thing I have noticed is that since the Christmas update to Oculus Home that added the decorations my tracking has been fine but my Guardian boundaries have been screwed. The boundaries are around 2 metres behind where they should be, meaning that they're actually outside my flat lol

I might go back to opposing corners again just to see if the same thing happens. Really weird though because the tracking is perfect, both the headset and the Touch controllers are tracking fine without a problem.

I might open up a ticket with support to see if they can help me out with it if my opposing corners setup is also doing the same thing.

HiThere_
Superstar

Sv3n said:

I use the 2 sensor experimental setup for 360 degree room scaling and it
works perfektly.

If you stand in the middle of your room during the Guardian wall setup and try moving your body and arms around in every possible way, it's easy to spot that the tracking is 100% perfect in most cases but 0% in some cases.

If you mistakenly think this isn't the case for you, try using your back to block off one camera, then use your left hand to prevent the second camera from tracking your right hand : No more tracking, no matter where or how you placed each camera (since one camera is entirely blocked out no matter where you placed it, and your left hand is placed between your right hand and second camera no matter how or where your placed that second camera).

In Dead and Buried's horde or target practice modes you probably won't even notice it. But in Dead and Buried's 2vs2 mode, where you're taking cover and pointing your guns all over the place (from left to right, from upwards to downwards, while standing or crouching...), you'll notice the dead spot(s) where at least one gun loses tracking if you slow down your movements enough to confirm it.

That's why Oculus VR professionals know they can't recommend less then 3 cameras for room scale, and can only label their ~90% perfect dual camera 360° tracking as "experimental".

snowdog said:

Well I've been switching between 2 in front and two in opposing corners because I can't make my mind up lol
Read
my post up there : It tells you how to place your two cameras and yourself so you can
freely switch between dual front facing and 360° setups without having
to move and remap your cameras.

Which makes it a better recommendation then Oculus VR's default recommendation, unless your VR space is too small to provide 360° in which case Oculus VR's dual front facing setup does represent the best recommendation for those smaller VR spaces which can't provide 360°.

Sv3n
Honored Guest

jayhawk
Superstar
I tried a setup for 360/ground coverage. It wasn't a symmetrical setup but did the best I could to cover everything. it didn't work well. Since I have put both sensors back in front 77 inches high in each front corner of the office which is about 10 feet wide everything seems pretty solid again. I have slight occlusion issues when playing games that require 360, like Brookhaven Experiment. Game is still playable, just a little jumpy when turning my back to the sensors. If I felt I was really in need of that rear coverage I'd order a 3rd sensor. Maybe eventually when the games I want to play have a demand for it.

elboffor
Consultant
3 sensors, two at the front of my room. sensor one pointing about 10' towards the center, sensor 2 more like 20' towards the center, also that one is tiled on its side about 25' (3m passive usb 3 extension).
the third is behind me in the corner opposing camera 2 and is pointed directly at that corner, its about 2 foot lower than my front cameras and is mounted sideways. it's the only one on usb 2 and using the 5m extention oculus supplied.

everything works very well indeed, not perfect, i get a occlusion when i put the controllers totally out of sight but thats to be expected. other than that though i cant complain 🙂
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got 2 sensors in front and tracking is still terrible even when I am facing the cameras. I've been playing a bit of Onward, and the reticule moves all over the place when I am aiming down the sights, what the hell is going on? Is it any better with 3 cameras?

rabbitovsky
Honored Guest
Blasts, that sounds messed up.  Mess with your settings, your sensor plug ins, etc.

you should have perfect tracking facing forward.

EliteSPA
Superstar

I got 2 sensors in front and tracking is still terrible even when I am facing the cameras. I've been playing a bit of Onward, and the reticule moves all over the place when I am aiming down the sights, what the hell is going on? Is it any better with 3 cameras?

Can you post a pic of your setup?
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

That may be more game related than hardware. I too have this on occasion where you lift the gun to shoulder it and as your aiming around it jumps and warps a bit.

I recently redid the room with the front camera up high to the left and the rear about mid way up on the right. 
There is one spot where when I turn my back to the front camera, the rear camera cannot see me as it's too close. That's ok as that's an odd position I wouldn't be in often.

However I am finding a lot of front facing open area locations that get wobble and despite having the camera up high at the front, the controllers drop out when too close to the ground.