cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So whats the best way to setup the sensors for touch?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So whats the best way to setup the sensors for touch? I'm going to use two because I can't afford a third sensor. I was thinking one in front obviously and one 180° directly behind me. Would you say this is the best way to arrange them? I ask because I've noticed some people have them in front of them slightly right of them at 30°and then behind them 210° A bit like the symbols I've used to try and demonstrate this below. The zero below represents my my fat head the other symbols are the sensors.

!
                                                                      !
21 REPLIES 21

leo1954au
Adventurer
I just went for 2 sensors in front and haven't made my mind up about a 3rd

https://support.oculus.com/199906947113632?locale=en_US&ref=oculus-sensor

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

leo1954au said:

I just went for 2 sensors in front and haven't made my mind up about a 3rd

https://support.oculus.com/199906947113632?locale=en_US&ref=oculus-sensor

Does the two sensors at the front setup work well when you have your back to the sensors? Thanks!

leo1954au
Adventurer
No when I have my back to the sensors they don't register movement but I'm not after 360 movement because my PC room is about 15 x 10 ft and with all my junk I have in it my play area is only about 8 x 5 ft and I don't know if it would be worthwhile  me getting a 3rd sensor for just a small space plus I'm a sitting down type of player anyway Old age is catching up with me 63 next birthday

maxpare79
Trustee
I use to have 2 in front 8 feet up for 1 week or so  (before receiving my 3rd) and it worked great even when I turned around...but 2 in front on a desk...not so great.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have mine diagonal to my forward facing view.   They face opposite of each other.  One is in front to the left of my monitor and one is about 5.5 feet back and to the right of my monitor.  They are spaced about 7 to 8 feet apart.

Imeleon
Expert Protege
Directly in front and behind is not a good way. 
The way @mikaserla has his is good. 
Search  google/oculus for the 360 experimental set up doc to see how it's done correctly. 
Has nice pictures to show what you want. 

Lemming1970
Rising Star
I have mine.

Top right 7' pointing in at 45 deg. aiming down about 15 deg. 1' to the right of my P.C. monitor which is my main seated sensor.

top left 7' pointing in about 45 deg, aiming down about 15 deg. 8' to the right of my monitor.

rear right about 4' high, angle from the front about 30 deg. again about 8' to the right of my p.c. and around 8' behind.

So far I've not run into any issues.

P.C. specs

Asus Z170 pro gaming M/B Bios 1206 (03/07/2016)
I7 6700k O/C 4.7 Ghz (water cooled)
16 Gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
GTX 980Ti o/c 205mhz core and 305 MHz memory, Drivers 376.33
Using a mixture of onboard USB3 and the Inateck 5 port usb3 card. Which I already had for a previous P.C. that didn't cut it in VR, figured it's spreading the USB3 bandwidth if nothing else.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

HiThere_
Superstar
For 360° (C=Camera, 0=User's walking space, X=Empty for arm clearance) :
XXXXc
X000X
X000X
X000X
cXXXX

For dual front facing cameras (without moving the two cameras from their 360° setup) :
XXXXc
XXXX0
XXX00
XX000
c0000

or

0000c
000XX
00XXX
0XXXX
cXXXX

This is when your VR space is big enough to also provide 360°, which requires ~2mx2m of empty space so you can safely stretch your arms in any direction when standing in the middle (depending on your armspan).

But if your VR space is too small to provide 360° (smaller then ~2mx2m), or if it's big enough but you don't want any 360° tracking, then go for the Oculus VR's default dual front facing cameras only single type setup instead (for which you don't need any arm clearance behind you) :

XcXcX
X000X
X000X

or

XcXcX
X000X
X000X
X000X
X000X

Sv3n
Honored Guest
I use the 2 sensor experimental setup for 360 degree room scaling and it
works perfektly. The sensors are fixes at the ceiling with a distance
of 5 meters and my playground has a areal of 3 meters x 2,5 meters.
Testet it with Arizona Sunshine, Brookhaven Experiment, Holopoint and
and and.
Try it before u buy a third sensor