cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some (Worrying) Horizon Rules

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13
Having seen the videos for Horizon, i've got to say i'm a little disappointed - I don't think it's what i'm after so it's unlikely i'll use it - not a problem.  Facebook laid out these observation and moderation tools in a “Horizon Safety Video” and explained them in further detail in an interview with Road to VR.

First, all the users in Horizon are involuntarily recording each other. The last few minutes of everything that users see and hear is recorded on a rolling basis. Facebook says this recording is stored on the headset itself, unless one user reports another, at which point the recording may be sent to Facebook to check for rule violations. The company says that the recording will be deleted once the report is concluded.

Second, anyone you interact with can invite an invisible observer from Facebook to come surveil you and your conversations in real-time to make sure you don’t break any rules. The company says this can happen when one user reports another or when other “signals” are detected, such as several players blocking or muting each other in quick succession. Users will not be notified when they’re being watched.

And third, everything you say, do, and build in Horizon is subject to Facebook's Community Standards.  So while in a public space you’re free to talk about anything you want, in Horizon there a many perfectly legal topics that you can’t discuss without fear of punitive action being taken against your account.

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-horizon-privacy-monitoring-moderation/

67 REPLIES 67

Zenbane
Level 16
AR has been around longer than VR though, right? In terms of being an established market with consumer-ready hardware and software.

AR is more convenient and comfortable, since it doesn't need an HMD (e.g. Pokemon GO).

I wonder what would be the reason as to why AR hasn't become mainstream yet (widely adopted as part of every day interaction), considering how long it's been around (i.e. early 2000's). And in particular, why does AR get tied to VR so much?

VR is still trying to get a foothold, but AR doesn't really need much improvement in the hardware itself (unlike VR, where the hardware is still in its infancy).

I think AR is cool, and has tons of untapped potential. But I don't really see why it would do better than VR. I kind of feel that if AR could go further than VR in the consumer market, then it would have done so by now. I've seen AR at the theme parks (e.g. Disney World, Universal Studios). And it's on our mobile phones.
https://www.oberlo.com/blog/augmented-reality-apps

Honestly, the most widely used AR App is snapchat, so that people can make themselves look like cute plush animals.
0opu6qy4bs4j.png

Personally, I still see AR as far too limited. The best it can do is provide more metadata about the physical world around us; as it can only imprint information as an overlay atop the things our eyes can see. This isn't a bad thing, but its use cases are in fact limiting. A good example is the Military contract with Microsoft HoloLens. Information and data can be relayed on screen based on what soldiers are looking at. This is great! But also limited in what it can provide to consumers compared to VR.

Those are multiple limitations being imposed:
  • Limited to the human eye
  • Limited to the physical world
  • Limited to one's own ability to "read" and process information visually
VR, in contrast, goes beyond those limitations. For example, with VR, the limitations of the human eye can be overcome since the restrictions to vision - which are only applied by your real world surroundings - are instantly removed.

AR is great for games and metadata. You can see Stats hovering over people, places, stuff, and thaangs. But VR is still the only tech that can take us beyond the limitations of the physical world.
🙂

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I think AR will shine when the headsets are convenient enough to wear for extended periods or continuously (eventually).

They'll do away with the need for big screen TVs, wherever you want them, they'll change the views out of all your windows... they'll project the contents of your oven in front of you so you can check up on how the roast is doing, they'll let you run with your friends when you're on the treadmill (© DaftnDirect) but I suspect the biggest thing will be having your relatives in the room with you, wherever they are.

Maybe 10 years away or more but I suspect AR will be the mobile phone of the future. VR will be the PC.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

kevinw729
Level 15

Yes I agree current tech is quickly getting to the point where VR headsets will do AR quite nicely, AR tech can't do VR though and isn't really trying to.
Eventually there'll all be glasses and the only distinction will be the size of the lenses, small descrete frames for AR-only and wrap-around stylie for VR/AR or MR if you prefer.

I think we can see Facebook leaning more towards the XR nomenclature to describe their moves in this sector. We get to see the first leaks of the Facebook XR branding:

x1pv5yci7c8z.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
...to that end I was going to post a prediction for Quest 2 but I think we've veered off topic enough here, I'll post it in the connect thread

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

Zenbane
Level 16
As confirmed from the Quest 2 leaks today... the Oculus brand is alive and well.

At least when it comes to the Quest... the "Facebook rebranding" was, as they say, "Fake News."
 🙂 

Luciferous
Level 12
Am I the only person who doesn't care if Oculus name is dropped if they deliver decent headsets? It has been Facebook all but in name for a long time now, changing the name wont mean squat.

kevinw729
Level 15

Am I the only person who doesn't care if Oculus name is dropped if they deliver decent headsets? It has been Facebook all but in name for a long time now, changing the name wont mean squat.

No your not  😄
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
Level 16

People seemed to care when they thought it was going to happen, and were predicting it for a few weeks/months. Now that we see it was fake news, I am sure "nobody cares." Funny how that happens!