cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Reveals New Playstation VR 2 Controllers

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Interesting, but somehow remind me a little of the Pimax sword controllers. I wonder how susceptible to damage these will be when bringing controllers to face for things like aiming with a bow etc or hitting the headset/solid surfaces?

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

Features

The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

●      Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

●       Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

●       Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

●       Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

●       Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
14 REPLIES 14

kojack
MVP
MVP

Damn, beat me to it.

The adaptive trigger things are interesting for this. Those could have some very interesting uses. Imagine when using the controller for touching things in the world if the trigger retracted as you pushed on a surface. Or change the trigger force when a gun runs out of ammo.

Sounds like the grip is digital, not analog.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Looks like Knuckles and old Touch got a baby, lol. 

20210318_172821.jpg

Love how these protect your hands from impacts, just like Knuckles and old Touch! (Especially if the controllers don't break easily, lol)

20210318_180935.jpg

Looks awesome, especially compared to the old PSVR controllers which looked like some kind of sex toys... 

This convinces me more that my next hmd and "rig" both may have a Sony logo... But let's see the hmd first and then wait an extra year (or pay the scalpers) to get the hardware... 😉

Now, let's have a black hmd to match the black PS5 cyber-gloves 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I can't wait for this. When it comes to exclusives and how these controllers work, there will be nothing like it. I'll even not complain about still being wired if they don't have a second psvr2 wireless premium as rumored.

I believe you're right. Sony may have the funding and motivation like Oculus in 2016-2017, when it comes to new exclusives for the PS5. And because devs totally can optimize for the exact same hardware, what's similar to let's say RTX 2080 gpu performance could be closer to RTX 3080. Thus PS5 may deliver an awesome amount of gpu power for VR - more than my PC has today, and Alyx runs extremely great on my rig. 

Compared to the road to the bottom, PS5 may have the ability to provide Alyx class VR gaming.

I'm wondering if Sony will go beyond Index-class hmd res. 2880x1600 might not be a bad choice for the gpu, more may not really be needed and may cause a profound gpu burden, also because PSVR has long supported 120 Hz. I'll be surprised if we see another oled hmd though (PSVR is oled like CV1 and Vive). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Personally I'd like to see something like Rubber Knuckle Squishies Controllers, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPTtN83hVk

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Just need to get a PS5...

😱

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Saw some on Ebay in Germany, BIN was about $1000, didn't seem that expensive, maybe they have already sold, lol.

But not sure I should get one now - maybe there's a smaller version arriving in 2022, maybe VR will be delayed ... I've got close to no interest in 2D games, and having a PS5 just lying around collecting dust for maybe more than a year... Hmmm.... 

Ya It's as hard to buy as a good card. I'm planning on getting one by the end of the year and will warm up with the new control's. I'll wait on pins and needles for the psvr2.  I'm more excited for this than I was for the quest even though I will also by each new quest gen. Besides vr exclusives I think sony will have more third party AAA games. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Those big rings might be a bit awkward, but I like that it has feature parity with Touch; that makes life easier for VR devs making cross-platform games.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo