cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Reveals New Playstation VR 2 Controllers

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Interesting, but somehow remind me a little of the Pimax sword controllers. I wonder how susceptible to damage these will be when bringing controllers to face for things like aiming with a bow etc or hitting the headset/solid surfaces?

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

Features

The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

●      Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

●       Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

●       Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

●       Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

●       Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
14 REPLIES 14

kojack
MVP
MVP

It does look like it has one extra button per controller compared to Touch, and no analog grip (just a vive style button). But we'll have to wait to see the true specs I guess.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

After the utter nighmare that are the present PSmove controllers, these look like a gift from god himself, so can't wait, plus by the time the world is able to get back to normal the PS5 and no doubt the PSVR2 will be at arms reach for everyone.

Now we only need Sony to stick with Oled and the PSVR2 might be the perfect system, and slap me with a kipper and call me Susan if some smart modder does not make the PSVR2 work with PCVR seeing as it is now using inside out tracking with a one cable solution, this could be a very interesting HMD and controllers for PCVR.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@kojack wrote:

It does look like it has one extra button per controller compared to Touch, and no analog grip (just a vive style button). But we'll have to wait to see the true specs I guess.

What extra button? They each have a stick, grip button and trigger, two face buttons, and a small button (Create/Options) that I assumed corresponds to the menu buttons on Touch.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems the PS2VR controllers will have finger touch detection, not full finger tracking. PS2VR may work like Touch with the thumb detection (on/off) and not for all fingers (I read thumb + index + middle fingers, so 3/5 fingers on each hand) - thus not the full Monty like this:

- But Index controllers cost about 75% of Sony's intended PS5 price. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@nalex66 wrote:

@kojack wrote:

What extra button? They each have a stick, grip button and trigger, two face buttons, and a small button (Create/Options) that I assumed corresponds to the menu buttons on Touch.

I guess they've broken the standard set by the Dual Shock 2, Dual Shock 3, Dual Shock 4, PS Move and Dual Sense of having a button with the PS logo for home. The PS5 Dual Sense (I have one) has the same looking glossy PS logo as on these new controllers as a button, so I assumed theirs is a button too. But I guess not.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2