cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony next-gen PlayStation 5 VR hmd (PSVR2) - new awesome high-end VR games available!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

playstation-vr-2-logo.jpg

EDIT: See the new specs here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/sony-playstation-vr-2-announcement-psvr-2-specs-field-of-view/

Original post:

Close to breaking news - if true - I just love oled so much more than LCD (well at least if oled gets similar ultra-low SDE like modern lcd panels):

"One important holdout remains: Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-16/fading-iphone-lcd-screen-maker-pivots-to-virtual-...

Depending on the panel, lcd could still have more subpixels and higher res (like Vive Pro 2) - there're tons of things we don't know yet. And Sony hasn't confirmed anything. 

Red arrow marks the arrival (first impact) of PSVR2 oled 🙂

Unavngivet.jpg

Spoiler
RuneSR2_0-1645546502936.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

182 REPLIES 182

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

UploadVR just posted about all known and rumored PSVR2 titles:

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-2-games-every-announced-rumored-project/

I do think my next hmd will be from Sony, oled + 4k res + amazing high-end VR content sound beyond awesome. Foveated rendering may provide a level of performance close to RTX 3080 levels - or even better. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

New trailer for one of the first PSVR2 games has arrived:

There seems to be great high-res dynamic shadows, which is essential for immersion in games where you operate in the dark:

2.jpg

Dynamic shadows for the fingers shown here

- and the most important, this game supports both eye tracking, HDR and foveated rendering, it does look better than the average PCVR game to me, or looks like same quality as a great PCVR game - but the trailer is very short, would like to see more. 

1.jpg

I put some red circles around eye tracking and foveated rendering, 4K HDR is new stuff too

Using oled, PSVR2 should much better than lcd at dark games too, I still greatly prefer the good old Rift CV1 for the very dark games. 

Eye tracking is of course only important when backed by foveated rendering. This way the foveated rendering gets focused on where you look, which is essential - according to Sony, foveated rendering increases frames per second by a factor of 3-4, possible making the PS5 faster than a RTX 3090 😉 Well, we'll see about that when the first reviews arrive. 

Eye tracking and foveated rendering were features I hoped to see in a Rift CV2, interesting if Sony will be the very first to successfully deliver that tech.

Varjo Aero has foveated rendering too, but game devs need to support that themselves, and so far nearly no game supports Aero's foveated rendering and probably never will. Sony actively supporting many new VR games can ensure that all PSVR2 games fully support eye tracking and foveated rendering - a giant difference to Varjo's situation with the Aero. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

An ultra-high-end version of Star Wars: Tales for the Galaxy's Edge has just been announced - taking advantage of all the power of the PS5 (and foveated rendering with eye tracking):

The old Quest trailer in comparison:

The visual difference is massive as the Quest version does not include realtime lightning and dynamic shadows - and the poly levels and textures seem much better in the PSVR2 version too:

PSVR2 image quality - note the lighting and shadows (the character casts dynamic shadows on himself):

Unavngivet2.png

- and this is the ultra-trimmed Quest version - no dynamic lighting at all, and looks much more low-res:

Unavngivet3.png

This was the one that got away for PCVR, but seems there's now hope to experience this game in all its glory. According to the devs:

"Utilizing all tech that the PS VR2 has to offer, the game pushes what’s possible with VR to immerse you within the world of Star Wars like never before. The high-fidelity visual experience will include headset-based controller tracking and eye tracking ensuring that your movements and direction you look are reflected as you play.

The audio and haptics also play a major role in the experience, where you’ll be able to hear the soundscape surround you with rich 3D audio and feel even the smallest detail with the haptics built into the PS VR2 Sense controller and headset. Combining all the sensory features that the PS VR2 has to offer, the experience will make you feel as though you are living within the Star Wars galaxy."

More info here: 

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/13/become-a-hero-on-playstation-vr2-in-star-wars-tales-from-the...

52355869641_47ce5a3efa_h.jpg

52356295575_a4556c2d32_h.jpg

52356113913_35d253aaaf_h.jpg

52354926842_70c9ee536e_h.jpg

Seems I better order that PSVR2 soon, but I'm old fashioned and would normally like some PSVR2 reviews first. Also the PSVR2 hmd does not include headphones like the Rift CV1 and Index - I have a great issue with that. And then there's the inside-out tracking, I'm really not into that too - and the white color. Won't be easy getting the PSVR2 for me, lol - but 110 degrees fov, oled, 4K and foveated rendering will be hard to resist - especially powered by the very fast PS5 gpu (which is extremely fast compared to all mobile gpus).  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

UpLoadVR just tried the PSVR2, but a prototype, not the final version, and ended up concluding that the PSVR2 was "the most immersive consumer headset I’ve tried to date" - having tried the Varjo Aero, those are big words - more here:

I wonder what kind of headphones he's using 🤔 🤓

Ben Lang also just tried the PSVR2 and concluded about the foveated rendering:

"And while we’re at it, let’s talk about eye-tracking on PSVR 2, which also includes support for foveated rendering. It wasn’t clear to me if all of the demos I saw were using foveated rendering, but I only barely noticed it when playing the VR version of Resident Evil Village. It’s fast and subtle enough that I think most people simply won’t be able to tell that foveated rendering is happening at all [...] All-in-all, I’m quite impressed with what I’ve seen from PSVR 2, both from a features and performance standpoint."

Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-2-hands-on-preview-playstation-vr-2/2/

psvr-2-hands-on-5-1021x580.jpg

psvr-2-playstation-vr-2-photos-9.jpg

kojack
MVP
MVP

Sony has confirmed that PSVR2 is not compatible with any PSVR games.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/09/psvr2-will-not-be-backward-compatible-with-psvr1-games-sony-s...

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Also just saw that:

"PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR 2 because PSVR 2 is designed to deliver a truly next generation VR experience. PSVR 2 has much more advanced features like all new controller with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, inside out tracking, eye tracking, 3D audio is coming together, 4K HDR of course.

So this means developing games for PSVR 2 requires a whole new approach than the original PSVR."

PSVR2 looks very close to PCVR for the gpu & cpu power, and the controllers and hmd look alike to PCVR too, and of course that's a great difference to PCVR. I would be surprised if we don't see some of the best PSVR titles ported to PSVR2 though. More here:

https://uploadvr.com/psvr2-cant-play-psvr-games/

Many of the original PSVR games are meant to run on a low-end platform (=PS4 with only 1.8 tflops), not that much faster than Quest 2 standalone (about 1 tflop, Adreno 650 is 1.2 tflops but reduced in Quest 2 XR2 SoC to save battery), and of course understandable that Sony won't have such sub-par quality on PSVR2 (10 tflops - but Sony says real performance is increased 3-4x due to foveated rendering and eye tracking - so may be closer to 30 tflops - in theory - or similar to RTX 3080/3090 in PCVR). 

Devs thinking "we'll just release on PSVR and then our game will automatically work on PSVR2" will have to think again - and will need to pass through Sony's PSVR2 QA and QC before they can launch on PCVR2 - that may be absolutely brilliant to ensure proper high-end quality content. Right now Steam is flooded with tons low-end VR garbage. 2c.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This will be hard to resist, maybe the king platform of high-end VR for some years, but RTX 4000 series will lift everything to new levels too:

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, I use glasses inside the HMD, did that for Rift CV1, and also inside the Index. To my amazement I could dial-in the Index all the way and still use my glasses - without ever having scratched my Index lenses (or CV1). 

But how about PSVR2 - can you use glasses inside the PSVR2? This is a more difficult question due to the eye tracking - as PSVR2 is a very advanced hmd. I've read no reports that eye tracking will not work with glasses, and Tobii (Sony uses Tobii eye tracking) has stated that their eye tracking works with glasses:

https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/210249865-Glasses-lenses-and-eye-surgery

https://www.tobii.com/group/news-media/press-releases/2022/7/tobii-selected-by-sony-interactive-ente...

So it should work - but that's something I need to see thoroughly examined in reviews, when the PSVR2 launces. I need to use my glasses in the hmd - I doubt prescription lens inserts will be of enough help for me. 

Mradr
Protege

Sorry late to the party - I see a number of post talking about OLED and LCD and have to make it clear ...

Most of the OLED that was used on early VR units wasn't full OLED - it was half OLED meaning it had 1/3 the sub pixels that LCD had. Most people didnt see full OLED in action, but the fact that OLED hold soo strong even though having less sub pixels is a clear reason why OLED was still a better screen technology at the time it was release. There was many reasons for that choice - but cost and manufacturing time was some of the main reasons for it. It also help in keeping yields high by disabling the subpixels that didnt work correctly across a larger shipment of screens. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Price will be $550 and the PSVR2 launches Feb 22 2023:

https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-2-release-date-price-pre-order/

That's expensive for those needing a PS5, but total cost is still cheaper than a Quest Pro, unless scalpers get all the PSVR2s... 😉