cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry Oculus, the VR train....

Dosperado
Honored Guest
will NOT arrive in 2016 with this HIGH price of the rift and is not going to be popular.

Your VR experience is unfortunately NOT for the masses...so sad
42 REPLIES 42

smilertoo
Protege
If this is them selling at close to cost they really need to change their suppliers, the cost of technology only goes down.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"zao9311" wrote:
"hargert" wrote:
Yes curious to see what the Sony response and their pricing will be. Considering for all intents they are releasing at the same time.

Sony's CEO just tweeted "An Oculus Rift VR headset can transport you to unbelievable fictional worlds, like a world were people will spend $599 on an Oculus Rift"
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/684769410511466496

Don't be stupid, that's not a real account (it even says parody).

Nonetheless I saw that myself back when the price came out and it made me chuckle. :lol:
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

gabr1eL44
Honored Guest
"RirtualVeality" wrote:
I really hope they offer a bare bones package at a reduced price. I have controllers. I have the games I want to play already. What I don't have is the extra $$$ for things I don't need, like the items bundled with the Rift right now.
I'm not disagreeing that the price is insane. It is. I just don't like when people make a "Doomsday" leap of logic and say, "OMG VR IS DEAD LOL WUT?"

No. VR is not dead but it won't be alive for the next year. Doesn't even make sense to wait for a price drop for CV1 because when the price for CV1 drops to a reasonable and afforadable point CV2 will come out. VR isn't dead but VR won't be a thing before 2018/19 I guess. Such a bad start.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"smilertoo" wrote:
If this is them selling at close to cost they really need to change their suppliers, the cost of technology only goes down.

True, and I have no idea what kind of crappy screen (that's in CV1) should cost this much! Didn't even get the promised custom samsung curved OLED and still high priced! Thanks Mark you ruined Oculus for everyone. 8-)
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
"RirtualVeality" wrote:

I'm not disagreeing that the price is insane. It is. I just don't like when people make a "Doomsday" leap of logic and say, "OMG VR IS DEAD LOL WUT?"

PC VR is probably dead for a least a generation (~12-18 months) very few will take the leap at the current price, and the Vive will likely be even more. Luckily we still have Gear and PSVR on the horizon to bring in people outside of the hardcore enthusiast market and keep the VR flame from being snuffed out completely while the PC side works on getting prices to be reasonable.

I do worry though that once the Rift falls on its face out of the gate whether those entities that are supposedly subsidizing costs will pull out and make the next generation just as expensive as this one, even if production costs decrease. That could kill PC VR for a much longer time.

I wonder how the PC survived...

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

richhard1
Protege
When any New Electronic Gadgetry is sold to the general public, it's always quite high due to the cost of the materials used. After time, prices are reduced according to the consumer marketing costs.
Look at Microwaves, when first introduced nobody could afford them, only the higher class of wealth could. What about phones now, they are way expensive but get a contract and pay it off every month, and that's ok!

Ya'll be looking back at these very comments thinking exactly the same when the next Oculus sells for half what it is now with twice better specs. This is NEW technology, not that back street Chinese rubbish.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

zao9311
Honored Guest
"Sharpfish" wrote:
"zao9311" wrote:
"hargert" wrote:
Yes curious to see what the Sony response and their pricing will be. Considering for all intents they are releasing at the same time.

Sony's CEO just tweeted "An Oculus Rift VR headset can transport you to unbelievable fictional worlds, like a world were people will spend $599 on an Oculus Rift"
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/684769410511466496

Don't be stupid, that's not a real account (it even says parody).

Nonetheless I saw that myself back when the price came out and it made me chuckle. :lol:

Lol. never mind then, I really wished that's real. I guess that $674 shipping and tax price tag fried my brain. It is so fried that I clicked confirm without thinking twice. I swear i'm going to cancel my credit card if Vive come out with cheaper price and Oculus doesn't allow me to cancel my order.

przecinek
Rising Star
I don't want to wait 10 years just like with microwaves 😉

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
"andyring" wrote:
I wonder how the PC survived...

With a lot of time and price reduction. How many people do you think bought the PC in that picture? Probably about as many people will buy a CV1 at launch. PC VR's time will come, but it seems like we screwed it up again and have to wait another decade. Wake me up in 2026.