cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone VR Vs. High-end PC VR

kevinw729
Level 15

With the success achieved to date with some 2m Quest2 units in the field, and a new diverse and broad VR userbase joining the fray. It would seem a good time to through out a question for discussion. What is the way forwards for VR some five years since GearVR and CV1?

1. Standalone VR
Is this the path, a VR headset using mobile phone processing, with the capability to be tethered to a PC with limitations.
- examples – Quest2, Pico Neo3, Deepoon E3, HTC Focus+, Panasonic Eyewear[not released]

2. High-End PC VR
A dedicated VR headset, configured for usage with a high-end (but expensive) PC to achieve the immersive experience.
- examples – Index, HP G3, Pimax 4K, Varjo 4X, VRgineer, HTC Elite

…and the third and fourth options:

3. Console VR
A device connected to a console platform, with the ability to be untethered, benefiting from the console manufacturers content development resources and cost reduction for console bundling.
- examples – Sony PSVR2[not released]

4. XR Platform
The creation of a headset about to achieve see-through and complete VR experiences, linked by 5G to a mobile edge computing (MEC) solution.
- examples – Lynnix, Apple Glass[not released]

Comments (please stay on topic)?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
56 REPLIES 56

PITTCANNA
Level 11

In addition to pcvr being highly over rated, the console variety like psvr and psvr2, lets be honest its going to be way behind the curve.

I have psvr, and they had years to really add on to it, so to use ps3 move controllers tells us a lot.  The new controllers for psvr 2 are comparable to touch controllers, so its still going to behind the times.

Considering the low adoption of ps5, because zero availabilty this far down line it was released in November 12 2020, and hardware is scarce.  and globally about 201,033 units.  terrible adoption so far.

Psvr only had a handful of good games too.

PITTCANNA
Level 11

Also why pcvr sucks, is if you look at a lot of posts here on this forum. NO ONE READS THE FINE PRINT OF REQUIREMENTS.   How many link/rift problems exist because people cant spend the 4 &#% minutes to read the requirements, steam requirements and marketing is no better.  The steam compatibly checker is misleading to customers too.  Like 1,000 dollar valve index will even perform well on low spec "vr-ready" laptop.

I have seen posts "why is my vr-ready laptop not compatible with xyz" because vr-ready is another bs marketing term.  

Think you may have repeated your self there with "PCVR is over rated" - but I think we got the gist.

I will say a lot of Quest2 owners really try and get that over rated HL:A working on their systems. 🙂
Surprised I dont see as many rushing to get HoH working, but I suppose they are waiting on the Quest2 port.
Same Oculus does not release a Quest 2 version of Rockband VR after all that effort. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Of course we don't know how good PSVR2 will be - but due to the processing power there's a chance it can be really good/great/awesome.

I didn't buy Rift CV1 before there was content I really wanted - that was Lone Echo. 

I broke that rule when I bought the Index not knowing what Valve was up to - but my faith in Valve was/is big, and I was afraid not having their new hmd when they launched whatever they were working on - turns out I was fortunate, Alyx using the Index is the greatest gaming experience I've ever had. 

I don't trust Sony that much, I consider Astrobot a game for kids, although it looks great, I'm not getting PSVR2 if Astrobot 2 is Sony's best exclusive PSVR2 game. More Resident Evil would also not be great to me, I'm not that fond of VR horror games, lol. This time I want to have a really good idea - or know - what exclusive content is available before ordering a PS5 and PSVR2. 2c.  

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Is alyx gaming experience worth 

1000 - headset

1500-2000 - gaming pc

so about 3000 dollars if that was the only game you got the index for?

Could all consumers justify the cost a 3000 dollar vr rig?

I thought about valve index a while back ago, before i got quest 1.  Yeah i could spend 3k on the rig, and set it up.  But it was just a hard sell.

A good point. Can all consumer justify the cost.....
Brings us to the argument - do you make whats good or what a percentage of the audience can afford.
A question Ford and Ferrari ask themselves each morning!

You can make something good and at cost.  I would argue that if you added all the pros and cons valve index vs quest 2.  Quest 2 wins hands down.

Ford vs Ferrari are a different monster.  Some Fords are great and at good cost.  Ferrari's are a pain in the butt to work on, require a lot of specialized tools, and are temperamental,. 

Last vacation on a cruise ship was $700 per day for the family - I think Alyx was an even bigger experience, lol. 

A lot of hobbies are expensive - I'm happy not being into motocross racing etc. One of my friends payed US$ 12k for a mountain bike. Is that really worth it? 

But sure - neither getting to play Lone Echo in 2017, or Alyx in 2020, might be considered cheap gaming experiences - but I did get some bonus with Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Boneworks, Room VR and Medal of Honor VR. What I've paid for these utterly awesome experiences is very little compared to the experiences I got in return. 

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

I think you may have missed my point - sorry if I worded it badly, but I have to be brief on this forum,

Ford and Ferrari have both decided on an approach to the market. Ferrari only make one type of platform, with minor variances, only targeting one customer base. Ford make a wide selection, from cheap to expensive and ensure commonality and the creation of a community of products.

Oculus was Ford, they had cheap and they had expensive - and then it was decided in mid stream to go only with cheap. But rather than telling the community that was the plan, we all woke up on day and saw Rift-S, and Go gone, the promise of the CV2 dropped and now the only platform on the table a white Quest2.

So they picked a customer base and they picked a price and performance point. And there is nothing wrong with that, it is their company. Just not expect everyone to like it if you dont tell them you changed the direction of the ship, and now you have to pay to join the club to use the hardware. Not a criticism, just an observation.

You can have observations and questions without being bias, you can also not have to consume every statement and treat it as fact. Some of us knew the CV2 was not going to come, but others liked their safe space, Tick Tock. 

True indeed, but I personally consider it a VR console,. Its a stand alone that also can do PCVR (which is a nice introduction for entry level VR gamers with an interest in PCVR) but why would I buy one when currently its sub-standard to dedicated PCVR headsets and Facebook are focusing on the Quest store. 

Facebook 100% took the right direction for them, It's just not for me (yet). 

Havnt we already gone over all this before though????

Horses for courses and all.