cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone vr is the future of vr.

inovator
Level 12
I said months after the quest 1 came out that I believed standalone vr is the future. Especially if the quest was a huge success. I also said that if a dedicated high end pc headset isn't announced at connect  than it would be standalone with link moving forward. Developers are going to go where the money is. If the numbers of standalone dwarf PCVR by enough PCVR at best in my opinion will become a niche thing. If that niche makes enough money games in my opinion will be ported from standalone to PCVR rather than the other way around. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong but my thoughts go in that direction. Please express what you think and  I invite others to tell me why I'm wrong if that's what you believe.
8 REPLIES 8

dburne
Level 16
I think higher end PC-VR will continue through others like HP and Valve. Obviously that market is not big enough in FB eyes but apparently it is large enough for some other VR developers.
And FB growing VR even more going after the social aspect will benefit all of VR as well I am sure.

Combat flight sims have very much been a niche within the gaming industry for quite some time, and they are still thriving.  There is a market there for PC-VR for those that find it monetarily beneficial to participate in it.
Apparently Oculus while shifting to the social platform still wants a piece of it, hence the Link capability.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

RedRizla
Level 16
I think we will now see a lot more devs making games for Mobile VR, which I believe will have an an impact on PC -VR games. I'm just glad I play sims mainly, which also means I don't mind being tethered to a PC. I just hope HP and Valve continue to make native PC -VR headsets, so I can continue to play great looking Sims. 

Maybe Quest 2 will also be good for Sims, but comfort is essential for me when I spend lots of hours in a Sim. Having a standalone headset only adds weight because of the battery, and to be honest, it's never bothered me being tethered to a PC even when I play standing games.

inovator
Level 12

dburne said:

I think higher end PC-VR will continue through others like HP and Valve. Obviously that market is not big enough in FB eyes but apparently it is large enough for some other VR developers.
And FB growing VR even more going after the social aspect will benefit all of VR as well I am sure.

Combat flight sims have very much been a niche within the gaming industry for quite some time, and they are still thriving.  There is a market there for PC-VR for those that find it monetarily beneficial to participate in it.
Apparently Oculus while shifting to the social platform still wants a piece of it, hence the Link capability.

I also think PCVR will continue. But it will be interesting to see to what degree. Besides hp and valve I consider psvr to be a lower end high end headset and they will be coming out with an updated version. You bring up good points.

OmegaM4N
Level 11

RedRizla said:

I think we will now see a lot more devs making games for Mobile VR, which I believe will have an an impact on PC -VR games. I'm just glad I play sims mainly, which also means I don't mind being tethered to a PC. I just hope HP and Valve continue to make native PC -VR headsets, so I can continue to play great looking Sims. 

Maybe Quest 2 will also be good for Sims, but comfort is essential for me when I spend lots of hours in a Sim. Having a standalone headset only adds weight because of the battery, and to be honest, it's never bothered me being tethered to a PC even when I play standing games.

2021 is going to see quite a few new mobile VR HMDs come onto the market, and i suspect at least one of them will offer the full hybrid HMD with the addition of a dedicated display port, and i think that will be the HMD that spans both mobile and PCVR consumers in a big way.

inovator
Level 12

RedRizla said:

I really dislike the wires alot. When I played pcvr games and then played some of the same games on the quest I enjoyed them much more even though they didn't look as good. But to me they looked good enough. As far as comfort, if my current quest 1 solutions aren't good enough I'll buy a elite headstrap. I have a battery that works great that I just wear on  my side. Like you I hope dedicated pc high end continues but with an inexpensive wireless solution. 

dburne
Level 16

OmegaM4N said:

RedRizla said:

2021 is going to see quite a few new mobile VR HMDs come onto the market, and i suspect at least one of them will offer the full hybrid HMD with the addition of a dedicated display port, and i think that will be the HMD that spans both mobile and PCVR consumers in a big way.

Yes that is a door that Oculus has left open for others to jump in on. That would be something.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

ShocksVR
Level 9
Wireless VR is the future, whether that means standalone and/or wireless PCVR.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), Oculus Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

inovator
Level 12

ShocksVR said:

Wireless VR is the future, whether that means standalone and/or wireless PCVR.

That's for sure.