Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

I have gotten the survey twice since I've gotten my G2 and neither time has the survey detected it despite it being connected. The second time I even had it on and nope. Instead it detects only my Quest 2 which wasn't even hooked up...but the Oculus software was installed. I don't have much faith in the accuracy of these surveys.

So that's why the Quest 2 is dominating, lol 

RuneSR2_0-1617737926398.png

Also bit the bullet today - cancelled my EVGA XC3 3090 from at local shop and was about to buy the Asus RTX 3090 ROG Strix Gaming card, which was in stock ($500 cheaper than MSI Suprim X which costs $3320 over here, which also is in stock) - but now after putting the kids to bed, all cards are gone 😬 Well, shop says they'll have new stock in 3 weeks, maybe that wait is worth $500, lol. Will need a new rig for that too, but let's get the card first. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

As long as it happens equally for all hmds it might not be a problem, lol - but it does make you wonder.. 

Yeah I wasn't really thinking about any particular headset... just under-reporting of headsets connected in general means the figures for VR use may be even better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a CONSPIRACYYYYYYYYYYY!!! 😯

There are probably 10 times more Rifts and Rift Ss out there!!!!!!!!!!one1one!!! Bloody Valve sabotage, that's what that is! 😁😎

You also have to remember that Quest 2s connected wirelessly via Visual Desktop also aren't detected!

I've done the survey several times but it's the first time I checked what was reported. Ah well, as long as it's not taken too seriously.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

April 2021 results just arrived:

Unavngivet.jpg

Quest 2 is going forward a lot, but seems to be at the expense of Rift-S, Vive, WMR and Rift CV1. Overall slightly fewer hmds were counted in percent of Steam users compared to March. 

Interesting that WMR took quite a big dive with the G2 being a potentially strong candidate for highest-end VR. 

Market shares:

Unavng5467ivet.JPG

Oculus has about 60 % of the share. Combined, HTC and Valve have about 30 %. It does indicate a strong desire for Quest 2 users to get into real VR. 

Not bad results for the Q2.

I think its pull has always been the ability to do both PCVR and stand-alone, I'd be very surprised if buyers have ever restricted themselves to one type of VR or the other. Obviously the people who wouldn't do PCVR with a Q2 would be those who don't have a capable PC, which is of course the big reason for getting one for these headsets for those people.

And for those of us with capable PCs and a Quest, we've been using both types of VR from the start... and personally, I probably wouldn't describe PCVR as real VR and stand-alone as not. Both types have their pros and cons and I'm using both these days in more or less the same amounts... I'd be hard pushed to decide which was more fun.

Going forwards, Infinite Office and Air Link will probably maintain the attraction, and a few new games wouldn't do any harm.

May 2021 results arrived a few days ago:

325t.JPG

Not much changed the last month, but at least it's going the right way. Note that these numbers can be misleading as Steam registered some of their highest numbers of users in 2021:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-07-yes-valve-has-broken-its-own-concurrent-steam-users-re...

Thus 2% of Steam users having a hmd connected may disguise a much higher number of individual users compared to let's say if 2% had a hmd connected in 2018. But the number was only 0.4% in April 2018. So with 2.31% of Steam users having a hmd connected that number probably has never been higher. 

Rift-S reduced the most during the last month, and Quest 2 increased the most. Strangely Vive Cosmos increased - and Index had a minor increase. About 60% of the Steam hmds are from Oculus:

235Unavngivet.JPG

Interesting how Vive Pro 2 will do next month - if the sales are high enough to register 😉 

I do hope that PCVR devs notice that never before have so many users had access to PCVR. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprised Index is so high up the list, considering it's overall price tag.