Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

Agreed, and the hmd is constantly sold out, I don't think Valve can meet demands at all - but full kits are now usually in stock. 

In the EU, kit price isn't even US$ 999 - but US$ 1,250:

Unavngivet.jpg

HMDs and base stations have been out of stock for ages.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Today's Math Session - with some perspectives 😎 

Questions to be answered:

• How much have monthly active PCVR Steam users increased the last 3 years?
  • What is the real current number of monthly active PCVR Steam users? 

We know that 2.31 % of Steam users had a hmd connected in May 2021. And we know that in 2018 that number was about 0.40 %. Does that mean that the number of PCVR Steam users grew about 6 times the last 3 years? 

Not necessarily - we have these official numbers, but Valve is rather tight-lipped about monthly users: 

statistic_id733277_number-of-steam-mau-2017-2020.png

Being somewhat conservative, let's just assume that there in 2021 still are 120 mill monthly active Steam users. (Even though new results have indicated there are now more than 120 mill.*) 

0.40% of 90 mill users in 2018 would be equal to 360,000 active PCVR Steam users. 

2.31% of of 120 mill users in 2020 (2021) would be equal to 2,800,000 active PCVR Steam users.

That's equal to 8 times more PCVR Steam users in just 3 years! Quite amazing, and probably not far from the truth. Even Nvidia mentioned the increased VR adoption in their 3080 Ti sales pitch a few days ago. 

Furthermore, 29% of 2.8 mill VR users indicate that at least 800,000 PCVR users on Steam use the Quest 2 hmd. - And 450,000 use the Valve Index. - And 165,000 still use the old King, the Rift CV1. 

PCVR never has been stronger than it is today. 

*These results show concurrent Steam users: 

statistic_id308330_number-of-steam-users-2013-2020.png

Nvidia just reported that 27 mill concurrent users have been registered in April 2021 - the highest number ever. That's about 10 - 20 % more than numbers indicate for 2020.

The 120 mill total monthly active users may be considered the average for 2020, and was probably a growing number throughout 2020 possible due to Covid-19 among other reasons. If we extend the trends of 10-20% more concurrent users to reflect the number of active monthly Steam users, we could be seeing about 135 - 140 mill active monthly Steam users right now. 140 mill monthly active users would be equal to 3.2 mill PCVR Steam users (and 9 times more PCVR Steam users than 3 years ago). 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Agreed, and the hmd is constantly sold out, I don't think Valve can meet demands at all 

There is more evidence that Valve is limiting manufacturing as opposed to evidence that Valve can't meet the demand. Based on Steam's own hardware survey, Valve has a small portion of the overall PCVR market with the Index. The numbers indicate that the Index is in very low demand.

Zenbane_0-1622932526596.png

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Quest-2-Propels-VR-Headset-Usage-On-Steam-To-All-Time-High/td...

Which is probably why Valve limits how many they manufacturer, to avoid monetary losses with large inventory of Index that isn't being sold.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Recent results are somewhat dramatic - last month 2.31% of Steam users had hmds connected - now it's reduced to 1.86%:

Unavngivet.JPG

A 0.45% reduction out of 2.31% users is similar to a reduction of 20 %, which is quite massive. Also note the massive decrease in Quest 2 users, and the massive increase in "Other" users. A guess would be that many Quest 2 hmds got placed in the Other category. No way Vive Pro 2 could make up the 13% increase in the Other category, lol. If we add the 13% increase in the Other category to the Quest 2 category, Quest 2 would be 30.5%. 

Interestingly, Vive Cosmos saw some growth, maybe Vive Pro 2 got counted in that category... Index had the usual small growth, but the hmd alone and base stations alone continue to be out of stock (at least in the EU), thus still indicating that Valve fails to meet demands. 

Current market trends:  

Unavngivet2.JPG

Again, I don't believe the marked Quest 2 decrease is real. Let's see how it goes in a month. The 0.45 decrease could of course also be due to the summer starting. 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Recent results are somewhat dramatic - last month 2.31% of Steam users had hmds connected - now it's reduced to 1.86%:

Makes sense since SteamVR only has a tiny number of titles worth enjoying. Once you are done with Alyx, then it is either SkyrimVR or FalloutVR, after which things get quite lackluster.

Oculus PCVR and Oculus Stand-Alone have some amazing options, especially with all the exclusives. Plus, Facebook does a ton of advertising for their VR Platform; whereas Steam has next to zero advertising. Ads work!

Until Steam gets more high caliber experiences, I suspect users will connect to SteamVR less and less. Especially as Oculus continues to get constant new titles released to both their PCVR and StandAlone platforms every single month.

I will tell you this, DK1/2 owners have really gotten value for money, i salute them. 😊

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

mmm that change in Quest 2 use doesn't look very organic. A straight line change like that may point to a problem in regestering connections. The yellow 'other' appears to be an exact fill of the Quest 2 drop, I'm guessing those may be mis-identified Quest 2 connections.

The headset received a big update around that time didn't it? The slope may be reflecting the rollout of that update.

That was my thought too, but checking out Reddit there aren't many users complaining that SteamVR no longer works. But maybe an update interfered with the way Steam registers the Quest 2 hmd... 

Yep I think the update has just changed the headset identifier maybe, SteamVR still works OK. The yellow others are updated Quest 2s.

I think you're probably right about seasonal changes for overall Vr use. Well, possibly entering mid summer... and relaxing of Covid rules has people returning to outdoor activities a bit.

There's still the poor showing of VR announcements at E3 though, without a few big titles to maintain momentum, people will slowly drift away. That's partly why I'm not against Facebook testing anything and everything to encourage developer activity including adverts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a simmer I have more than enough to keep me occupied with just my flight and racing sims alone. I get so much gratification just from those that I can play endlessly. I do however enjoy some made for VR games, and currently have Into the Darkness VR and Sniper Elite VR on my Steam wish list for when they do become available.