Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey -March 2021 results included

RuneSR2
Level 16

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

395 REPLIES 395

RuneSR2
Level 16

jab said:

RuneSR2 said:
The only continued growth seems to be among Index and Quest users, WMR has declined for long, maybe G2 can help... 

I am not getting a G2 specifically because it is inside-out WMR. And it is not a budget decision.

Just bought a used Pimax 5K Plus for shits and giggles and to try a LCD based headset.
And it turns out giving people the resolution they wanted, and having non parallel displays for increased FOV results in disastrous performance hits. Like 1080ti with <100% res and still barely being playable in some titles bad..
But the FOV is very, very nice and image is the best I have ever seen using 200% minus the fact it is unplayable.

That's a great point - some may easily forget that even CV1 in 2016-2017 easily could need more gpu power than a 1080 or 1080 Ti could provide. And adding like 80% more res (Index, Vive Pro), or even 260% more res (Reverb), does not make anything better performancewise - well, maybe if you got a 3090 for the Reverb, but that's kinda besides the point, lol. 
That said, many VR games don't need a fast gpu and will work fine using even Reverb - but the very best games like Stormland and Asgard's Wrath, also needing Revive, are a real challenge - even running native with the CV1. 

Alyx only runs so great thanks to Valve delivering a level of optimization we might never see again in a VR game - or maybe in 2025, who knows, lol. 

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

snowdog
Level 16
Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

RuneSR2
Level 16

snowdog said:

Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.

Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 

dburne
Level 16

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 

I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

RuneSR2
Level 16

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.

Also I experienced Asgard's Wrath with the CV1, while I experienced everything in Alyx with Index max FOV and res looking close to 200% - of course choice of hmd may have impacted my experience a lot. Alyx looks beyond stunning using the Index, also in regard to textures which are of a much higher quality than in Asgard's Wrath (even if textures do look nice in Asgard's Wrath). 

jab
Level 8
If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.

RuneSR2
Level 16

jab said:

If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.

Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk

dburne
Level 16

RuneSR2 said:

jab said:

Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk

Ok seriously - I highly suggest you give yourself a break - say a min vacation - from PC gaming...
 😉 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

jab
Level 8

RuneSR2 said:
Guess I am lucky since I mostly do simracing, and cockpit games are a perfect fit for VR.
You can even to some degree justify the narrow FoV, by pretending it is the racing helmet obstructing your view.

LuluViBritannia
Level 9
Steam Hardware Survey no longer displays VR headsets. It could be a temporary bug, but Valve likely just wiped it off themselves. Could be the end of Valve's commitment to VR. I seriously hope not...
Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
- Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
- Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
- More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
- Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."