Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Heh Rune, I didn't even know I was a feinschmecker.  I can hardly wait to tell my wife, lol! 

I'm sure Ryte will look great with my oled Vive Pro (together with my nice new rtx3090) but I have way too many games backlogged right now.  Of course if it ends up on a Steam sale, or makes it to my VivePort Infinity sub I'll probably be unable to resist getting it, lol!  

Anyone using a RTX 3090 to play VR games with a CV1 ss 2.5 is close to king of feinschmeckers  :D:wink:

That's not a bad thing in my book though  B) 

Ohhh man a 3090 card just begs for a higher native resolution headset.
Trust me on that one.
 😉 

Yes, in 144 Hz 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

saami81
Rising Star
I wonder how many people use Quest 2 only for PCVR gaming? I am one of those. Not that i think that graphics make good game, but good graphics makes good game even better.

I have tried gaming on native Quest 2 with cross buy  games, but with Virtual Desktop you can get best of both worlds. Wireless and better graphics.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Heh Rune, I didn't even know I was a feinschmecker.  I can hardly wait to tell my wife, lol! 

I'm sure Ryte will look great with my oled Vive Pro (together with my nice new rtx3090) but I have way too many games backlogged right now.  Of course if it ends up on a Steam sale, or makes it to my VivePort Infinity sub I'll probably be unable to resist getting it, lol!  

Anyone using a RTX 3090 to play VR games with a CV1 ss 2.5 is close to king of feinschmeckers  :D:wink:

That's not a bad thing in my book though  B) 

Ohhh man a 3090 card just begs for a higher native resolution headset.
Trust me on that one.
 😉 

Actually the other way around mate.  Higher native res headsets like the G2 beg for a rtx3090 (also +4.8Ghz cpu and at least 32Gb of fast ram), lol! 

I do believe you (and others) when they say the G2 is best for flight/racing sims and if that was all I was doing in VR (I'm probably ~25-30% sims) then I would def get one.  For now I think I'll just soldier on with my lower res oled Vive Pro for all my sims.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

The latest results from February 2021:

Unavngivet.JPG

- a new record with 2.21% of Steam users having hmds connected to their rigs - last month it was 2.13 % (=4% increase). Quest 2 is now in the lead, and you could say that only Quest 2 and Index are moving forward, and Index is moving extremely slowly. Everything else is more or less declining or stationary. I don't see Reverb G2 moving at all, sadly. 

Market shares:

Unavngivet2.JPG

Again Quest 2 shows its domination - but if Quest 2 can get more users into PCVR that's just awesome! 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Just a reply so i can find this thread again. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Results from March 2021 - SteamVR is stronger than ever ❤️

3425t.JPG

- according to RoadToVR the current results show that more than 3 mill users have a hmd connected:

monthly-connected-vr-headsets-steam-march-2021-number.png

Thus PCVR has never been stronger. Still the last month, users of Rift(-S), Vive and Quest declined, while more users of Quest 2 and Valve Index arrived. Even WMR increased slightly, probably due to Reverb G2. 

Current market shares:

Unavn34256ivet.JPG

Oculus/Facebook still dominates with more than 50% combined. Thus devs should not underestimate the need for supporting native Oculus drivers on Steam. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have to say that is amazing and kudos to Oculus for continuing to drive PC-VR growth in the industry.

I don't remember seeing the monthly connected headsets graph before... that's promising.

Critical mass, whereby software firms that aren't curranty investing in PCVR (or stand-alone VR for that matter) decide that they can no longer ignore it and start developing for it by default... that can't be far away can it?

Fully agree - I think we have reached the 10 mill hmd users now when including PSVR. The 3 mill Steam users are simply connected users, the number is probably higher due to many users connecting and disconnecting depending on the games they play. And some may still use only Viveport or Oculus Home. And PSVR may be 6 mill now, the 5 mill number was claimed more than 1 year ago. Zuckerberg wanted 10 mill users before reaching a sustainable platform, and devs launching PCVR and PSVR may indeed meet that number. Adding a Quest port like Saints & Sinners, and devs might get way more than 10 mill potential customers...

Just had a request to do the steam survey. It resulted in 'no VR headset connected' even though my Rift-S was plugged in. I hit 'back' and did it again after making sure the headset was awake and with SteamVR running but came up with the same result, wonder how often this happens.